Mavic Crossroc UST Disc Wheelset

Crossroc UST Disc

Use: A concentrate of Tubeless UST technology on an "affordable" disc wheel for daily cross-country riding.

• Black anodized, Maxtal, SUP welded rim
  • Fore technology, valve hole: 6,5
  • 8 and 9 speed, HG compatible, steel freewheel body
  • 24 front bent spokes and rear crossed spokes
  • Zamak spoke screws and brass nipples
  • Disc brake compatible with the international standard: 6 holes - 44 mm diameter, front offset : 10,5 mm/Rear 15,25 mm
  • Compatible with disc brakes: Hayes, Shimano, Magura, Formula...
  • Recommended tires UST Tubeless

• User Reviews (34)

Dave   All Mountain Rider [Feb 25, 2017]
    Strength:

Strong wheelset. Tire grip is excellent....in my opinion .Tire performance ratings are subjective. A good deal if you can still find them. Try Bikewagon.

Tires will not hold air. I have been using UST setups since 2004, the rim strips are the likely culprit. I carefully mounted them to the rim and pressed down into the bead, used the stock valves. Could be my lack of skill dealing with tubeless systems, never had such a problem with maintaining pressure . Opted to use tubes and find these tires to be very durable.

Bought these last year (2016) substantially discounted. I can see why. The tires will not hold air. I used tire sealant etc. to no avail. I expect the wheel set will last a long time just like my othe Mavic products going all the way back to the old Crossland wheel set.

Similar Products Used: Various Mavic, Shimano,Sun Ringle wheel sets.
    Brad Kriley   Racer [Jul 05, 2002]
    Strength:

UST tubeless technology, smooth bearings, stiff - for great sprints

freehubs don't hold up super well in extemely muddy conditions

Tubeless wheels are awesome to ride and this is the most reasonably priced way to get a tubeless setup. Tubeless wheels/tires are the one upgade you can put on your bike that will help you be a better rider - at least in the single-track (sorry can't help you on the climbs if you sucking wind). The traction and handling is greatly improved with just running slightly lower pressure yet they still roll like your running 50 psi.

My suggestion is run Stan's tire sealant in any tubeless tire and you will have the undeniably most reliable (however, not the lightest) treads on the dirt. I just ran the 24hr of Snowshoe & heard the Stan's sputtering out of the tire on my night lap - no worries - I just kept riding and it sealed. That type of security is worth the weight.

J   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2002]
    Strength:

no maintenance yet. Trued once after they got broken in. They seem strong and I have yet yet to experience any failures of any kind. They look very cool. They are banged up but true and problem free. What else do you want?

Heat score. If I ever screw up and puncture this tire I'll be struggling to get back on the trail as they don't really patch easily.

I swapped the fast deteriorating pythons for brand new 2002 2.1" Michelin XLS rear and Front S tires. They install much easier then the Pythons and give the wheels more meat and a wider footprint.

After 1.5 years I have had no flats. Wow comes to mind.

Similar Products Used: Alot
    Jan   [Dec 18, 2001]
    Strength:

Fairly lightweight; Very affordable

Rear wheel feels a bit flexy over rough terrain

I use my bike on both ends of the scale . For XC racing , I set my fork to 80mm , and use the Crossroc wheels . For DH , I use another wheelset with the fork on 120 mm .

As far as XC and normal trails are concerned , these are very nice wheels . The bearings run exceptionally smoothly . I could definitely feel a difference in speed with these .

I have not had problems in the rough stuff , but an FS bike takes a lot of punch away from your wheels . I would not like to go very fast on rocky descents with them .

I was a bit wary about running disk brakes on a wheelset with so few spokes . However , I have done very rigorous braking runs on steep downhills without a problem . I also had no spacing problems with Grimeca or Magura disk brakes .

These are ideal for my purpose of having separate wheelsets for XC , and for buggering around .

Kasey Kump   Racer [Mar 03, 2002]
    Strength:

Very easy to change a tire, for me at least, very strong, for my weight and riding, and they are UST, what else can you say? If you want to get technical, think, every rim has its troubles, even non UST ones, so why hassle with tubes and such, go UST!

These kick. They are madly butch and if you don't have them, then don't be slammin on them, your just jealous, get your own! These are great rims, thats the bottom line.

Similar Products Used: Only have ridin on crossmax and crossrocs, although they both seemed better than maby other rims.
    Ben   Cross Country Rider [Feb 18, 2002]
    Strength:

Affordable tubeless rim.

Borderline for racing purposes--a little weak.

Rims originally installed on cannodale with Ti sid. Love the hutchinson pythons--they cornered twice as fast as my python golds on 517 rims laced to XT disc hubs (not tubeless). The low tire pressure was great. The only downfall is that i talked a riding buddy into them and he takes bigger hits than I care to and pulled 2 nipples through the rear rim, of course destroying it. The rim is cheap and great for pure crosscountry riding, but keep them off of the big hits. Border line on race quality.

A five flaming chilis on the value. Cheap and durable

A four flaming chilis on the overall rating because if you buy them mail order or at a shop, the amount you pay may be a bit high for the performance.

Similar Products Used: None, First set of UST. Always owned mavic, x223, 317, 517
    Joel Thomas   Cross Country Rider [Jan 25, 2006]
    Strength:

Good first time tubeless wheelset for a lightweight rider on easy trails.

Rear freehub sloppy, developed a pinging noise after 6 months of relatively light riding.

Stayed true,rear leaked but front maintained pressure. Rear hub is weak. Can't find a replacement and Mavic doesn't make them anymore--probably because they caused too many warranty problems! Lace in some Shimano hubs and they'll be greatly improved.

Similar Products Used: Deore 555/Mavic 223 disc wheelset, LX/Mavic 517.
    Jay Matthews   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2002]
    Strength:

Mavic quality, all black looks great, accelerate fast, stay true, excellent value for disc UST wheels. I am 200+ lbs with gear and they have been very forgiving.

I don't know if it's me but I had one hell of a time installing PYTHON tires (which are amazing). It was as difficult as changing a motocross tire....

A little flexy but that's no big deal. Either they give a little or they break. Besides I am heavy.

Fantastic wheels!!! NO FLATS!!!
    In 1 season I had: 1 worn rear tire, many near fatal rides, lots of rocks and root strewn trails, had them trued once (rear only), AND not 1 FLAT!!!!!!!

No flats makes the UST technology my favorite upgrade...

Similar Products Used: XT, 517, Syncros (absolute worst rims), many other...
    ben greening   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2002]
    Strength:

light and affordable

very weak. i had problems wiht them detensioning after every single hard ride, and finally after 3 months of riding the nipples have started to pull through on the rear. also the wheel was laced up wrong. the rear spokes that were 2 cross weren't overlapped, so it really didn't have all that much lateral strenghth.

i weight 175 pounds so it's not like i'm a clydesdale er anything, and evidentally if you're going to use these wheels for anything other than light xc you thinking of the wrong wheel. i mean i work in a shop and i tried to true them after every single ride, they just didn't like to stay tensioned. you are better off sticking with building your own wheels

Similar Products Used: i've always laced up my own wheels. mavic 517's on xt hubs. and many more wheels along this same line.
    Chris Meyer   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2002]
    Strength:

Takes tones of weight off your bike, especially compared to other sturdy wheels.

UST can be hard to inflate, but not an issue with CO2 or since you can put regular tires on em. EXPENSIVE!

Crossroc: Great rims, take a lot of weight off if you use the tubeless tires, hubs ride great. I take big hits and they have hardly lost their true, (I weigh 150lbs and ovaled my Sun Rims).