Mavic Crossride Ceramic Wheelset

Crossride Ceramic

Use: Mountain bikers who want a strong, high-performance wheel for cross-country.

• Black anodized 6106 aluminum alloy SUP welded rim
  • UB Control and Ceramic 2 braking surface
  • Integrated freewheel hub
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings. QRM.
  • 8/9 speed HG compatible freewheel
  • Stainless steel straight pull spokes. Anti rotation system on front wheel
  • Brass nipples
  • 24 front spokes, 28 rear spokes
  • Front radial spokes, rear crossed 3 on freewheel side, radial on other side

• User Reviews (11)

Kade   Racer [Jun 06, 2003]
    Strength:

strong wheels, w/ a fully rigid setup, even the 24 spoke front wheel stays true.

ceramic braking surface gets very slick, GREATLY loosing braking power, but im gonna try this cleaning process i found earlier (look below). they are a tad bit heavy.

these wheels are very strong considering the spoke count, they have served their purprose, but my next wheelset will probably be XT, XTR, or Chris King hubs laced to X517's (non-ceramic). here is a way i have heard to clean your braking surface if it gets that build up on it like mine...and you loose most of your braking power...

1. Go get a Scotchbrite pad (I like the green ones) from the hardware store.
    2. Cut two strips to fit underneath your brake pads.
    3. Adjust some slack into your brake cable and sandwich the scotchbrite between the brake pad and the brake surface of the rim. (Do this procedure one wheel at a time so you retain useful brakes at one end of the bike).
    4. Wet the scotchbrite pads with simple green.
    5. Ride the bike while applying the brakes on the wheel you're cleaning. Go about 100 yards or so.
    6. Remove the wheel and clean off the soap and residue with a hose (just trickling, no pressure) and a scrub brush.
    7. Enjoy your rejuvenated braking performance.

Similar Products Used: mavic 221, sun CR18, WTB speedmaster
    Dennis   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Great looks, price,..nice adjustable cartridge bearings

None yet

Great wheel set, Still true after hundreds of miles. Didn't like the ceramic coating, too grabby with the brakes. I ride in a pretty much dry climate. I have ceramic brake pads. The coating is pretty much gone and I love the braking feel now

Similar Products Used: Lots of Mavics
    Justin Dill   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2002]
    Strength:

Ceramic braking surface works good while it lasts.
    Ceramic braking surface looks cool.

Not very durable and sort of heavy.

I bought this wheel after ruining my rear stock rim -I still can not figure out how it happened- despite the salesman advice I bought the wheel because the wheel I wanted was "on hold."
    Funny it was still there three weeks later. Anywho, after about three months of riding some of the coating began to wear off and it became out of true. My LBS said the rim had suffered during a accident and will always wobble just a bit. So, I have continued to ride it for the past year. Now it makes a slight knocking noise every time the wheel rotates due to a really, really loose spoke necessary to keep the wheel some what in true. This is a good wheel for a begining rider that isn't going to be doing a lot of technical riding.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager SuperStock
    Pete   Cross Country Rider [May 01, 2006]
    Strength:

STRONG! lightweight for the money, ceramic braking is unbelievable in bad conditions

Ceramic coating begins to fade after awhile

These wheels are amazing for the money. if you're a weekend warrior or even a racer looking for a decent set of wheels that are nearly maintenence free, these are the ones you want. I have trued them once, and they are still holding strong after about 2000 miles worth of trail. the regular steel spokes make replacement easy and much cheaper than aluminum spokes on the crossmax. the hubs roll forever! i wish i had a set of hubs this nice for my road bike! they dont flex during the turns, and have even held up to some light trials stuff. i even took them off a six foot jump on concrete and they survived no problem (dont suggest doing that though) i plan on getting a second set for my other bike. 5 chilis for value and 5 chilis for overall rating

Juan   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2004]
    Strength:

Rock-solid durability, silky smooooth bearings

A little heavier than my RPM-Lites, French made

The pictures on Ebay didn't reveal how used and abused these wheeles were. I was shocked when I opened the box - I thought I just got suckered out of some hard earned money. To my delight, the wheels spun smoothly and they were completely true. I cleaned them up and they haven't disappointed me yet. 6 months of bashing and they're just as true as when I pulled them out of the box (All I had to do was look at my RPM-Lites and they'd require truing).

Similar Products Used: Sun RPM-Lites
    Mike   Cross Country Rider [Nov 18, 2002]
    Strength:

Strong, Light, Well made, Replaceable cartridge bearings, long lasting rims

At this price point.......none

This is an amazingly good set of wheels. I have had no problems with them at all. The Ceramic rims give superb braking even in the wet with very good modulation. I can't bring myself to go with Discs when I have these babies!

Similar Products Used: Almost everything European and U.S
    Johnny Rider   [May 08, 2002]
    Strength:

lightweight (except skewers), good looks

ceramic surface chipped off, not very strong

Ceramic surface on the wheels is not durable. Mavic claimed it wasn't covered by the warranty. I tried and tried to emphasize that it was NOT caused by a crash but they wouldn't believe me.. 2 chillies for weight and looks, 0 chillies for Mavic not standing behind their products..

Similar Products Used: X517
    graeme   Cross Country Rider [May 06, 2002]
    Strength:

Wicked braking! Buck for buck no other product compares.

Flex (though can be fun at times...)

An excellent product at a really competative price - thanks to my g/friend J (the rims were a sUrPrIsE!) Mavic and the guys at Bowman's. What a difference. I've only just started riding mtb and the Mavic rim upgrade has made everything that much more enjoyable. No bull.
    Next on the shopping list is a new crank (J, I hope you're reading this:-)

Similar Products Used: none
    james   Cross Country Rider [May 05, 2002]
    Strength:

reliable and easy to service

a bit flexy. i'm 'bout a buck 80 and the slight lateral flex is the only thing i really noticed.not too bad though...what do you want for that price?!

these are worth it. if you want a great wheel without paying a grand to roll over a mountain these are awesome..not for the heavy weights though...too flexy for you boys. for 'bout 300 bucks you get ceramic rims (da bomb!) and full mavic stuff (there stuff rules, nobody can do it like mavic does...nobody). honestly the reason i didn't get the crossmax's was...why? why pay more for the aluminum spokes...hard to find, hard to work on. i enjoy the ablity to work on these with standard tools

Similar Products Used: just 'bout everything. i work at a bike shop, so i've been able to ride lots.
    Steve Recendez   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2002]
    Strength:

Incredibly rigid, Killer Hubs, sealed bearings, outstanding braking in all conditions

absoloutely none

In the past 2 years since i've had these wheels they have proved to be very very low maintenance, incredibly rigid, sure braking, even after the 12,000 miles I put on them. They look real cool. Definetely one of the best wheelsets out there!