Mavic Crossmax UST Wheelset

Mavic Crossmax UST Wheelset

Use: Cross-country racers looking for a wheel that offers maximum efficiency, performance and sensations and a reduced risk of flats

• Black anodized Maxtal SUP welded rim
  • Fore drilling technology.
  • Ceramic 2 sidewalls
  • Integrated freewheel hub with FTS-L system
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings
  • 8/9 speed HG compatible freewheel
  • Zicral straight pull spokes with integrated aluminum nipples.
  • 18 front spokes, 20 rear spokes.
  • Front radial spokes, rear Isopulse concept

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 09, 2010]
    dnajarro

Strength:

light, strong, no slop in hubs, oversized spokes, cool rear hub configuration

these are great wheels. they came with a gt zaskar that i bought off of craigslist. the guy i bought the bike from was a heavy guy and he said that he was once riding with to low of a psi when the tire came off the wheel. wheel is still true and strong with a scratch where the impact was. these hubs have no slopp whatsoever. get these if you want a good xc or even am wheelset

mavic 217, 317

[Jul 03, 2003]
    Somxay

Strength:

light wieght, tubeless, strong and great looking wheels

hard to install tubeless tires

Great race wheels there light and strong. I got mine on Ebay for $400shipped. The only problem I have with them are installing tubeless tires, there a pain in the butt. Rather then that they hold up great and looks great. Maybe later on in the future I will get the Crossmax SL. But for now, these wheels are great.

[Jun 19, 2003]
    Robert Graham

Strength:

Durable, lite, quiet, low maintenance, Great looking.

Flat spokes will not double well for shishkabobs...???
    Also, I suppose they are a bit on the pricey side.

I have loved these wheels from the day I got them. I keep checking them to see if they are out-of-true, but they just stay perfect. I have read many of the reviews and all the complaints seem to deal with Mavic customer support; If what the complainers say is true then I suppose I'm lucky I haven't needed to try to get a fee replacement or anything. However, I think some riders perhaps are just plain spastic and break everything they touch--and then want the manufacturer to take care of them with a new replacement when anything goes wrong.

I weigh in around 190 (all muscle ;) ) and I don't go easy on these wheels-lots of riding on rock, stairs, logs, moab's skickrock, etc. So far I don't have a single complaint about them.

These wheels are stiff. I have read complaints about too stiff, too flexible. I say they are stiff. As for "too stiff", let your shocks do the flexing.

And, as an added bonus to the outstanding performance of these wheels, THEY LOOK SOOOOO SWEEET!!!

My recommendation is BUY, BUY, BUY.

Nothing compares!

[Jun 18, 2003]
    j rocco

Strength:

weight,looks,brand name

weight

save your money.don't buy em.
    these were purchased as a replacement for my worn crossrocs. the rocs never gave me any problem, but they were tired and i was ready for the upgrade. in the first race with the max sl's the front came out of true. kinda weak for a front wheel, but at 650g i was suspect of their performance. goofy spoke wrench makes it easy to realign, but im not interested in doing this everytime i ride em.

crossroc ust(2yrs)

[Jun 03, 2003]
    Riaan

Strength:

UST related strenghts - low roll resistance, better traction, etc.
    Wheel set itself - stiffness, weight, looks, reliability & responsiveness

None (yet?)

I have the Crossmax XL. I've chosen it above the SL due to increased weight (I figured it would be more stiff and reliable).
    When I first received the wheels I had to use tubes (couldn't get my hands on Michelin tubeless). Fitting: getting the tube and tyre on was as easy, or as difficult, as an ordinary wheel. Ride: at low speeds a bit of flex was noticeable from the front wheel, otherwise I came away impressed - refer to strengths excl UST remarks.
    Tubeless: I prepared myself for a struggle to fit the tyres, it turned out to be easier than the tubes versions! (I used soapy water as recommeded - but didn't do anything else out of the ordinary). To help prevent leakages and punctures I squirted a "slime" like substance (a SA product - designed for road tyres, light and with the ability to get it throught a presta valve)in just before completely fitting the tyre (no need to use the valve - another adv of tubeless). With this system I only have to touch up on air pressure every 3 to 4 weeks!
    The ride turned out to be just as promised - it is really a step above the rest. The flex in the front I mentioned above was totally gone?!
    I've experienced two puncture flats - apparently the "slime" like substance couldn't sort this. On the recommendation of a mountain bike mag review I deflated the tyre, and squirted some glue inside. I coudn't believe that it actually worked!
    My weight is 190 pounds and tyre pressure used 2.3-2.5 bar. I do mostly cross country in dry rocky, sandy and hardpack areas. Riding style: semi aggresive.

X315's & Mavic Cross Ride

[Mar 13, 2006]
    Brett Wolmarans

Strength:

very strong - I'm 215Lbs and hit some rocks and little drops pretty hard. I think the chainstays would break before these would. Easy to service.

none so far - maybe one a little tricky to mount tubed tire, first time the tube popped off at 35lbs made a sound like a pistol going off, good thing my hand wasn't there. Oh, and the price, I would never pay new for these, I got these used these are the 2003 CrossMax UST ( not XL, not SL, just original one)

great. use the mineral oil (buy it at home depot, etc butcher block oil) to lubricate the pawls to get that nice snick-snick sound. Remember to pull the cap off to get the 10MM hex wrench in there. Giving 3 value chillies because even though I only paid $250 these are just so freakin expensive for mass produced wheels when new.

crappy Deore hub 223's

[Oct 18, 2005]
    Chad

Strength:

Lightweight, cool looking

Flexy, rear hub has to have constant TLC, rim is weak, ceramic finish chips off.

This reveiw is for the Crossmax SL's non disc. I weigh 170 lbs and these wheels are too light and flexy for my weight. When riding, it always feels like I have a low or flat tire due to the rear wheel flexing so much. I constantly have to true these wheels and service the rear hub at least once a month. The rim is very weak or made of a softer aluminum as there are a bunch of dings and dents. I have had to replace one of the spokes and many of the others are bent. The ceramic finsish is chipping off. For the price you pay for these wheels, I would expect a better longer life product. After two years of use, my LBS has recommended I retire these wheels and get some new ones.

Spinergy Xyclone Race

[Dec 10, 2001]
    dan

Strength:

light, fast, traction is awesome, second to none

LEAKS!!!!!

I can't stand the leaking. It has gotten worst and worst. the front can't hold pressure for more than 2 hours if that. I haven't crash yet and still they can't hold pressure. I've change the stem and still have problems. maybe i got a bad set. i weigh 170 and haven't ridden on anything really rough yet. if you can put up with the leakage, then it's a pretty good set of wheels. they are very comfortable and makes my bike ride soooo much better.

first set of tubeless

[Mar 04, 2004]
    Craig

Strength:

Reasonably light weight, smooth bearings, stay true, tubeless.

Something broke lose in the rim cavity. It isn't a spoke nipple. Aside from an annoyning noise from time to time, it isn't a problem-at least that's what the folks at Mavic told me.

This is a 2 year follow up. Fortunately, I haven't had any of the problems others have listed-spokes pulling through, bad bearings, weak. They've worked well for me. In fact, my next wheels will probably be Crossmax SL disk. And I've been riding them fairly hard-including several XC races. I weigh 185, so I'm not exactly a lightweight, either. I think these are the '02 Crossmax wheels. Perhaps there has been some QA issues since then? I've gotten used to the feel, but I still remember the first time I took these wheels out. What a difference! Much better traction, slightly better comfort.

Fisrt tubless wheelset

[Mar 05, 2004]
    Tom S

Strength:

Very Strong, Good looks, Durable

not much, the plasic spoke trueing tool was useless, pricy, but worth it

These wheels have lasted a rather long time, and have survived three race seasons. They are rather light, and look awesome, they can seriously make any bike look nice. Since purchasing them I’ve had to replace two spokes, and the bearings in both front and rear hubs. The bearings lasted two years of NE riding, which usually includes a lot of mud, so I’m quite content with the length they lasted. I’ve used these wheels on my last three bikes (Trek STP, Trek Fuel, and Klein Attitude Race), and I’ve always been impressed with them. They are very stiff, with no lateral flex. I may retire them this year, but if i do, it will be with a pair of CrossMAX SL’s.

Rolf Propels, Bontrager RaceLites, Mavic X517, Mavic X317