Mavic Crossmax SX Wheelset

Mavic Crossmax SX is an Enduro type wheelset. A wheel for those who want to go big, both on trails and on jumps without worrying about durability, rigidity and product quality. By using Maxtal and Fore technologies, this wheel provides the perfect balanc

cobym2   All Mountain Rider [Feb 03, 2014]
Strength:

Strong, stiff, solid. Bombproof.

there are lighter options out there that are just as strong. Require periodic preventive maintenance, if thats even a weakness. Pricey at SRP.

These are for the 2010 SX, which have seen 2 different all mountain bikes and countless kilometers of all kinds of trail, including jumps, drops, DH runs and the like, WET and dry, usually wet. I like to check and clean the freehub and pawls once a year, and I've had to replace the freehub bushing (Thanks Hub Doctor!) already, and the bearings have been repacked with grease 2 times. They may have to be replaced soon. But I have not yet put a spoke wrench to these bad boys. Still true after 4 years. I've actually already put a gouge and a very slight bend in a spoke (with a branch), and lots of nicks and scratches in the rim, but the wheel is still true. Strange. Im starting to feel trapped, that I'll be using these wheels forever. Maybe Im just lucky that the hubs are so far reliable.
That said, these are around 1950 grams a pair, and I think there are other newer options that could be just as strong, but are considerably lighter, and are not carbon.

Will   [May 23, 2012]
Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Durable, Maintenance Free after 4 years

None Yet

Got these put on a Intense 6.6 and switched them to a Yeti 575 last year. I ride about 3 times per week on everything from Moab style roughness to muddy alpine singletrack. No problems, stiff smooth ride and never had them trued....although they are due. Great rims, not sure what all the negative fuss is about. Maybe I just got lucky.

Kerry   All Mountain Rider [May 06, 2012]
Strength:

Rims have taken 4 seasons of riding on two different bikes riding at Silver Star in Vernon and tons of all mountain in the rocky Okanagan. Durable and light compared to the abuse they handle.

I've twice had to replace parts and have had to order the parts instead of just picking them up at the bike shop. Then, because it seems the bike industry norm, the wrong part shows up. So, the wait time is a pain the arse. Otherwise no worries.

I don't think I'd buy them again even though they're great wheels. I could buy a set of Hope hubs which would be more durable and have some Mavic tubeless rims laced up using readily available parts and end up with a bombproof set of wheels that weigh around the same weight. I''m not saying they're bad wheels, far from it. But, for me personally, I wish I had spent the money and built up my own wheels instead of buying these.

Ville   Downhiller [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

Bomb proof, stiff and they can take a beating easily. They're not too heavy either.

They came with my bike and I've been super satisfied with them, no issues at all. I've been doing 2-3 meter drops, blasting through trails and these wheels just ask for more.

ashaw   Weekend Warrior [Apr 25, 2011]
Strength:

Awesome, Love em. Great engagement. Flawless tubeless setup with WTB TCS and a little Stan's goop. Light and stong

Pricey, but worth it.

woofdog   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2011]
Strength:

Light, but strong enough so far.

The rear hub would loosen itself every ride. Mavic support was slow and unhelpful but eventually they "fixed" the hub by loctiting the hub adjustment nut. Now the adjustment nut cannot be moved meaning that the bearings cannot be adjusted or serviced; no response from Mavic on this problem. Having adjustable bearing play on an mtb wheel is a silly idea, particularly when it doesn't work.
Wheels have much less lateral stiffness that the Hope/S-Type wheels I use on another bike. Mavic have used a narrow hub flange spacing, which results in reduced wheel strength and stiffness; another silly idea.

Poor design engineering on the Crossmax SX results in a less than satisfactory wheelset. Poor support from Mavic means I'll never be buying another Mavic product.
If the hub didn't have the self-loosening problem then these wheels would be good for light trail riding, but too flexible for more agressive use. If you like stiff wheels then this wheelset is not for you.

loosescrews   Weekend Warrior [Sep 18, 2010]
Strength:

Super strong, Ride 3 times a week, XC, freeride and All mountain. Stayed true after all the abuse i throw at them. Regularly doing 10ft+ drops, Plently of chain crunching uphill. wet and dry.Mine are the 09 model. I dont know what all the bad reviews stem from. Never had a problem with the rear hub, and i have shredded my share of shimano freehubs. The SX is strong.

None that I have found. Rear adjuster did come loose a few times in the beginning but now is great.

Great wheels super strong ,reliable, and damn those hubs look cool.

Similar Products Used: Crossride, Shimano XT
Senor StrongBad   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2010]
Strength:

Strong and stiff

they are not the best looking for my bike

So far so good on these wheels. The engagement of the rear wheel seemed bad in the begining but now seems much better. I do not know if I am getting use to the late engagement or that over time it gets quicker? I have not had any issues with these at all. They ride fast and true and I hit everything with them. I go out of my way to run over big rocks and logs. The UST on Mavic wheels is just the best and is super simple to set-up, I have done 4 tires on them so far and have acomplished this all with a hand pump. I like the super thick spokes to. I keep shacking them to find some play but have not found any yet to date. I may be just one of the lucky ones. I wich they were lighter and probably will be going with something else soon, like the Havens or some I9's. But over all I am very pleased with these wheels. If you have a Mach 5 and want to run a 20mm front wheel and have a strong set of rims to abuse and not worry about then I would recomend these wheels to you. If you do not have a mach 5 and these wheels scare you becuase of the flexieness of you bikes rear triangle could cuase them to fail then I would stay away from them.

pikesrider   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2010]
Strength:

Price. They look nice.

Rear hub broke after 3 rides.

Don't buy these wheels. They are a great price at several online stores right now, but they don't work. If you buy them make sure you have a back-up rear wheel to ride while your other one is back at Mavic.

FizzyD   Weekend Warrior [Feb 18, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight wheelset, strong rim, white hubs, rim graphics. Great acceleration / strength balance

Rear Hub!!! Adjustment needed after every second ride even after cross country routes. Freehub failed at 1000 miles of cross country / all mountain riding and rear bearings replaced at same time. Needed too much maintenance through a full on riding summer.

Wheels look great and are a great balance between weight and strength. My wheels were in the first batch of 09's into the UK. The rear hub is just not good enough and needs too much regular adjusting as the wheel play can be felt when you are riding. Having said that it only takes a couple of minutes to tighten up the bearings once you're practised :-) Front has been great - no issues. The rear is off back to Mavic under warranty to see what they can do about it. Having said all that... I have two friends with the same wheelset who haven't had to tighten their rear bearings once! I guess i just got a Friday afternoon job...