Mavic Crossmax ST 29 Wheelset

Crossmax ST 29

Mavic Crossmax ST 29 6-Bolt Wheels The Crossmax ST 29 showcases versatility at its best offering a perfect balance of strength and light weight to go up and down the mountains fast and for a long time. A wider 23mm external rim width adds overall strength while increasing a tires' contact patch.

billfer   All Mountain Rider [Jan 20, 2016]
Strength:

Light
Hella Stiff
Strong
Zicral Spokes

Rear hub requires occasional tightening

I like them a lot. Best 29er wheelset I have ever used. Mounted tubeless with Swalbe 2.35 TrailStar. Had the front tire almost peel off in a 2 wheel full sliding lockup. It was 42F outside and they were under inflated so that prolly explains it. Tire never came off but it farted, spraying sealant on me. Kinda gross. Hit it with some air and it's good as new.

shiftless89   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2014]
Strength:

light, strong and work as advertised

a little pricey, but that has always been the case with Mavic, Alu freehub body galls just like every other Alu freehub body made

I have now had these wheels on my Air 9 Carbon for over one year, several thousand miles across Asia (Thailand and South korea. I am a Clydesdale at 220+ lbs 6'2". (Thailand: flat, sandy muddy, hot: Korea= very steep rocky trails)

Wheels are set up tubeless with Schwable racing ralph TLR EVO Snakeskin, XTR 10spd cassette

Riding style: exploring back country remote trails and commuting to work.
I have had to true the rear wheel one time as it was 1mm out of true - (I am picky like that). These wheels have performed great with no issues other than basic normal maintenance. The rear freehub shell has 2 small gall spots in the aluminum where gears 7 and 8 have pushed slightly into them (every aluminum hub I have ridden has done this). A moment with a small file cleared that up. There is no appreciable play in the bearings and I ride in all weather conditions; Rain, snow sleet and shine. I spoke with Mavic at length before buying them and they steered me to the ST over the SLR as the wheel is stronger and only 90g heavier. I would have no issue buying them again

Similar Products Used: Stans Crest, hope Evo Pro II, Mavic Crossmax 26",
Greg   [Jul 29, 2013]
Strength:

Looks

Do not buy these wheels!!! They suck! The hubs come lose all the time and the spokes start creaking after a few months and they just keep getting louder and louder. Customer service sucks and are very very slow.

Stay away from these wheels I know 3 people that ride them and they hate them for the same reasons!!!!! These wheels are not worth 20 dollars!

napa   [Feb 08, 2013]
Strength:

Looks

Rear wheel and hub suck!!!!

Rear hub sucks, the hub was loose before I even rode it! I have to stop about every mile or so to tighten up the rear hub, my used specialized wheel set I picked up for 50 dollars are way more Durable, the local lbs where I got them said this normal and they would eventually stay snug, well 20 rides later they are worse than before and the rear wheel is a noodle way to flexy . They might be ok for fire roads but not anything else. I feel like I got ripped off on these wheels!!!