Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc Wheelset

Mavic Crossmax SLR Disc Wheelset

The Mavic CrossMax SLR is easily the finest cross country race wheel the world has ever seen. Improved for 2011 with Mavic's patented ISM3D technology (machining of lower bridge and sidewalls), the Crossmax SLR Disc reduces inertia to its maximum. This pr

[Mar 26, 2018]
Ricky M

Strength:

First 3 month great, and they are as described light.

Rear rim/spokes, 1 first spoke cracked on 2’nd time. Rim cracked after approximately 10 month. Running cross country trails. Obvious the price then.

Model Year:
2011
[Apr 15, 2016]
Danny

Strength:

Look amazing, the weight is just ridiculously light super responsive.2011 mavic crossmax slr 26 inch for a lefty.

I only have 2 problems with the rims the price and the noise from the rear hub is loud.

I love these rims and would recommend then to any rider who wants top quality products.

Mavic x717.

[Sep 09, 2014]
AG

Strength:

These wheels are nice looking and perform very well, I ride my 29" Giant Anthem on rocky trails usually three times (100-120 miles) per week.

The ITS-4 freewheel body has broken after 2-3 months of use, I started hearing noises and the wheel charges against the disc brakes, so when I dismounted the wheel to check it out, it came apart from the cassette. I know I am the fourth one with the exactly same problem here in the area. I wanted to know if this is a design issue at Mavic. My weight is 180 lbs.

I like the wheels but I am disappointed because of the broken axis. I did not expect any issue that soon, these are not cheap wheels!

[Feb 24, 2013]
Rick

Strength:

Appearance, weight, strength, instant engagement

None found yet.

I purchased this 29er wheelset in Aug 2012 shortly after it was released and made available in Canada. I have been riding bikes all my life, but just started XC racing last year in May and had no real experience with serious riding or what parts/equipment are best. I purchased a 2012 Giant XTC comp 29er a year ago and after switching the brakes, drivetrain, bar, stem, seat post, and seat to drop weight I wanted to go tubeless and shed more weight. I spent about a month and researched wheelsets that would be light but strong enough for a 200lb rider. I spoke with several people, bike shops, and read reviews including this website and I have to say I am glad I dismissed the reviews on this site as they all seem to be reviewing older wheelsets and not the new 2012 redesigned SLR's.

I love this wheelset and compared to the Giant wheels I had it dropped the weight on my bike by 2 lbs.

[Mar 25, 2012]
sun81tzu

Strength:

After 2 years of riding my rim is broken and my hubs have been broken several times. Do not make the same mistake as i did DO NOT BUY MAVIC WHEELS THEY ARE CRAP!

Mavic no service just extreme expensive garbage

xtr

[Feb 28, 2012]
TWE

Strength:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mmmover priced

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[Jan 05, 2012]
cascade1

Strength:

weak rims - weak, weak, weak!

purchased Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset at LBS on 11/25/11. Ordered Maxxis High Roller UST tires online. Set up wheelset tubeless ~ 35 psi. I'm about 190 lbs. On 5th or 6th ride on 12/24/11, dented the rear rim on a rather benign downhill. Had to put in a tube and headed for home. About 15 minutes later, folded the front rim going slightly uphill in another relatively benign section. Returned wheelset to LBS for them to contact Mavic for repair/replacement. Mavic refuses to honor warranty because I was "actually riding at the time of damage". They want $450 to return to the factory for repair with no promise of how long it will take. Screw that - no telling how long these flimsy pieces of crap will hold up next time. Better to be out $800 than $1250. Boycott Mavic - everything you read about the arrogant, insensitive customer service is true. Go with DT Swiss, Easton, Shimano - anything but Mavic. Wish I would have read the reviews before a believed the LBS that these were "bombproof" wheels that will long outlast my bike.

DT Swiss

[Sep 24, 2011]
CoolTouch

Strength:

Looks, weight

maintenance, cost

Bought these when I built my bike from the ground up. I wanted something that looked unique and were light. Only thing close was crank bros cobalts. Front rim has stayed true and never had a problem. Rear rim has required to be trued on occasion and the freewheel assembly MUST be replaced about every 8 months. Very poor design - plastic rubbing on metal. Eventually I broke the rear rim and replaced with another 2011 SLR...had to be trued after 3 months. These are good rims, but they are for people who are sponsored and will get a new set every season. If you get a set, you WILL need to change the freewheel assembly ($50)

shimano xtr. dT swiss

[Apr 13, 2011]
eurwayne

Strength:

Look nice & fairly light.

Rear rim cracks (now on the third rim) and Mavic makes up reasons why they will not warranty the rim. (too much air pressure, used Stan's...blah, blah, blah.) And they are too expensive!

The rims are light, but very weak. I have a metallurgist friend who has examined the rim and his diagnosis is that the rim is too thin and the alloy is not strong enough to handle high milage riding. DON'T BUY unless you plan on replacing the rear rim every season. It costs roughly $130 each time you replace the rim and Mavic ALWAYS manufactures a reason to disallow the warranty. Maybe they should stand behind their products...or make products which last.

Shimano, Performance Bike brand, and stock Cannondale.

[Mar 23, 2011]
adipermadi

Strength:

so light! and i like the color combination

it's French Product! so worried with durability...

So far so good