Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 Wheelset

The engineers at Mavic worked long and hard to make the Crossmax SLR 29 6-bolt one of the lightest and stiffest 29er wheel options on the market. The secret lies in the spokes. In order to maintain ride characteristics, Mavic employs used stronger spokes to maintain wheel stiffness with a larger diameter.

ha-evolution   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2014]
Strength:

Strong, Light, Look Great, Low Maintenance

Noisy freehub? (good for scaring people on the trail)

I have these wheels on both my Giant 29ers. I first got a set for my Giant Anthem 29er but ended up putting them on my XTC hard tail for lighter weight as I was trying to see how light I could make the bike (got it down to less than 21lbs after upgrading to carbon components and XX1 upgrade). The first set have held up over two seasons of riding 1,000 miles + on the XTC. Just got another set for $600 (used) at LBS to go with the Anthem as I figured it needs some bling and lighter wheels also. Wanted to go carbon but the price was right on these and have had nothing but good luck with them running tubeless. They are replacing Mavic C29ssrmax wheels which have also been bulletproof. I see no real downsides to these wheels.

Similar Products Used: Mavic C29ssrmax, stock Giant wheels (heavy and slow)
Kenny Rendon   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2014]
Strength:

Fast, Strong, Durable and in my own opinion the sharpest looking rims out there

as the old saying goes " Good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good " and this is no exception to the rule. So if price isn't an issue this is the way to go

I have been riding these for about a bit. It does take a few rides to break in the bearings but my times have already drastically improved with little to no extra effort. I haven't even been trying to ride faster and I am beating personal records and have ranked in the top 5 on Strava on a few segments here locally ( this was unexpected because this wasn't even the goal ) I can ride longer and have been a lot less tired. This wheel set is way more effective at utilizing energy than the stock Roval's. I have been very happy so far

Similar Products Used: Roval 29er Wheelset
Rickster   Racer [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Light, smooth, fast rolling, UST, and look great.

Strength??

I have been riding and racing these wheels since Aug 2012. They were a big improvement over my stock Giant wheelset and using them tubeless dropped my bike weight by 2 lbs. Once the tire sealed it holds air very well and I never had the problems my friends do loosing air if the bike sat for a few days. I have to say I was very pleased with these wheels and had no problems with them up until this July when somehow I broke a rear axle and have never had any crashes on these wheels. Got the part and had it replaced by my LBS quickly and they also told me some spokes were loose so they tightened them also. About a month later while cleaning I noticed small cracks in a couple spots in the rear rim where the spoke attaches into the rim. I don't know if this is from over tightening by the shop or just a defective rim. I have continued to ride/race them as the LBS told me to and that they would send them back for warranty over the winter.

I am 200lbs in riding gear and I bought these based on a strong recommendation for strength and quality from a well known bike shop and I have to say I am a little disappointed that I have had these issues for such a high end wheelset. Hopefully Mavic comes through with a warranty replacement.

CanmoreC   All Mountain Rider [Aug 26, 2013]
Strength:

Weight
Strength
Looks

Price perhaps (but you get what you pay for)

Have these wheels on my Giant Trance X29er and they are amazing.

Lots of strength while descending and the lite weight allows for faster turning and better rolling. On climbs they are amazing with ample strength and role.

Matched up with NN tires and xx1 drive train. Used for XC/Technical XC and all mountain riding.

Have recommended these rims to many!

Greg   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2013]
Strength:

Everything - Lightweight, strong, great hubs, looks great, UST...and I love the rear hub free wheel sound. some don't like it though.

Price, service cost

All I can is that these wheels light, fast and strong. Of course set them up tubeless. Knocked off close to 1lb by upgrading to these wheels. Could definitely tell I could climb and spin with less effort. They also seemed more planted to the trail, but that could have been the S-Works Fast Trak tires front and rear. The bike just felt great and I could pick great lines with these wheels as well as broke quite a few PR's. Would highly recommend these wheels if you're looking for aluminum 29er wheels.

Similar Products Used: Roval Traverse 29's
Mark   Cross Country Rider [Nov 30, 2012]
Strength:

Light, strong, (but not cheap...2 out of 3 isn't bad). Very stiff, roll soooo fast and smooth, engage immediately, not too loud when freewheeling, easy tire mounting (Geax Saguaro 2.2), so far no maintenance...

...Not Cheap...(I only list that as a weakness because so people fixate on cost)

If you appreciate (and are willing to pay for) top quality products to get the most out of your bikes, seriously consider these wheels. I put them on my Superfly Carbon Comp and was blown away by the huge improvement over the stock wheels. I am >200 lbs geared up to ride and love technical climbs and tight downhills. These wheels are good at everything I have thrown their way over the past few hundred miles. Need to sit into a long climb? They are light enough that I don't even think about them. When the trail turns downhill, I still don't think about them. I have total faith that they will go exactly where I point them and get me through anything I am willing to ride without issue. Even with "big" 29 inch wheels, I can beat my times from my Fuel EX 9.9 on tight, twisty, rutted out trails...not bad for a HT 29er, and largely due to these wheels. I haven't ridden any other high end 29er wheel sets, but I have no regrets spending nearly $1000 on them. I like them so much that I've considered upgrading my Fuel's wheels to the Mavic 26" SLRs as well.

All of my bikes have high end wheels, and anyone who hasn't taken the plunge should really consider it. If you are spending enough time on the bike, and have all the contact points "comfy", good wheels are the best upgrade you can make...not the cheapest, but the best.

Similar Products Used: No direct competitors, though I did look at all the high-end non-carbon 29er wheels before I bought these. Actually went in looking at Eastons and left with the Mavics.