Mavic Crossmax SL UST Wheelset

• Spoke Gauge: Bladed
  • Axle Type: Quick Release
  • Brake Compatibility: V-Brake Only

tundraline   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2010]
Strength:

Light, strong, stiff, never need to be trued.

Expensive.

My sons and I have three pairs of these rims. Never had to true any of them. None of them have ever gone out of round. Run them tubeless and get fewer flats. Incredible high quality wheels.

Lopaka   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2010]
Strength:

UST is the only way to go! Lightweight, pretty and stiff. Spokes are way cool.

Maybe too stiff! Cheesy decals.

I have ridden a set of Mavic CrossRocks for years but wanted to save a few ounces. I wanted a light wheel for climbs and all day rides also needed something strong. I lost a full pound by switching to the Crossmax SLs. I noticed an immediate difference on the first ride. The light and stiff wheel makes a big difference when accelerating from a track stand or a stop. I got to the top of a tough, familiar climb quicker than ever before. But, I almost feel like I am riding a different bike. I dropped air pressure during the ride I need to re-tune my shock. The wheels are super stiff and ride way different.

Similar Products Used: Lots of Mavic wheels, also Bontrager and WTB
gearjunkie88   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, strong, UST seal is great

Periodic maintenance required

I've been using these wheels since 2004. They are light, strong, and the UST seal works flawlessly (with UST tires and Stan's thrown in for good measure). Every 6 months or so, I get the growling freehub noise that lots of people complain about. It's not a difficult maintenance issue, though. The trails here in Texas are quite dusty and I'm sure that contributes to the build-up of gunk in the freehub. Other than that, these wheels are trouble-free. I bent a spoke once and have only trued the wheels once (in 6 years).

G-MONEY   Weekend Warrior [Nov 13, 2008]
Strength:

Light, strong, never has needed to be trued, UST compatible

The rear hub isn't sealed and the 4 pahl system needs to be serviced/replaced every 6 months. Engagement is not as quick as Chris King.

Great wheelset. Only Achilles Heel is the rear hub which needs to be serviced every 6 months.

Similar Products Used: Mavic/Chris King wheelset; Bontrager/Hugi wheelset
Paul Allan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2007]
Strength:

Light wheels, stiff.

Front wheel makes clicking sound. Dealer assures me it's not damaged, but a metal filing may have dislodged and is stuck inside the rim. Doesn't appear to be anything I can do about it. It's quite annoying. I've heard it's quite common with these wheels. I'll think twice about buying another pair.

Good, aside from the clicking sound.

christian   Racer [Jun 22, 2007]
Strength:

very lite

i love it

James   Racer [Jul 22, 2007]
Strength:

super smooth and fast rolling ,

great wheelset ,couldn't ask for any thing better

jamison gaddy   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2008]
Strength:

Fast rolling, light weight wheelset. Noticable difference as soon as your on the trail. A lot more lateral stiffness than I thought they would have. Not to shabby to look at either.

Had a spoke pull out of the hub; However the rim stayed true. Initially very stressed, but it was super easy to fix. Loosen it up, pop it back in place tighten down, and finish riding. The wheel is still true some 6 months later.

I initially bought these because I could not pass up the discount I was given after destroying the stock rims on my Stumpy. I bought them before I knew who they were made for. I have not and will not change my aggressive riding style. I live in Texas, so I'm not bombing or dropping daily. I refuse to change my riding line because it looks to technical or the drops to big. This wheelset has exceeded my or the expectation of some of the more expeirenced riders I ride with.

I did have to get a spacer/shimmy/washers so that my front disk would fit into the caliper smoothly. 6 washers cost my about 25 cents. Shimmy $15.

I've read the reviews positive and negative. I would recommend these to friends. My friends who watch me beat up 3-4 times a week would also recommnet them. Two have purcashed the same set.