Mavic Crossmax Enduro Wheelset

Crossmax Enduro

-Derived directly from the Crossmax XL, the Enduro shares many features with its predecessor. Fore drilling, UST welded, FTS-L hub, straight pull spokes with M7 nipples : these are all characteristics which make this superb wheel one to use for all aspects of your cycling experience…

andy james   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Light,smooth , bling,UST tubless

Crap hubs..had 2 rebuilds

The hub has worn on these within 150 mniles of XC riding. Had an apology and a rebuild under warranty once and even with an upgraded freehub body and pawls they are f""""d again. One more chance i will give for mavic to rebuild them then i will push for the refund.

Great rims..lovely tubeless system hubs from hell

Similar Products Used: mavic 317 with hope xc...sunrim mtx with hope xc
Dan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2005]
Strength:

I got the tubeless disc ones as a replacement when I had to replace a broken frame. The old bike had rims and I had to get with the times.

These wheels seem to be the correct balance of light and might. They are very sturdy and you give up little in the way of a weight penalty. Unless you ride the smooth stuff or weigh less than 170lbs you need more beef then the crossmax sl's or xl's have. These wheels feel very light and most mortals won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

None yet - I will be watching the freewheel and hubs closely for durability issues as this has been mentioned in other Mavic lines as a problem area.

Unless you're a little dude (I weigh 190) or ride in the smooth stuff only, you need tuff wheels that can handle the babyheads, jumps, drops and fun that others avoid.

My climbing seems easier and I have confidence in descents - when I stop thinking about the bike and riding becomes second nature with no issues, THATS when I'm happy with a product.

I'm very happy so far and will post an scalding update if these wheels disappoint me in any way.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager and Specialized.
Mauro   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Strong & Light! ... do you need anything else?

I use to ride real All-Mountain style, with regular small jumps & drops (sometimes not so small). Rough rocky terrain is common here. Well so far the wheels turn flawless, and I never needed to realign it so far (I only retensioned the spokes after brake-in). Both hubs turn fine and the bearing are notchless.
Very recommanded!!!

Similar Products Used: CrossMax 1st series, X517
Will   Cross Country Rider [Mar 21, 2007]
Strength:

Really light and run very smoothly and reliably

have never majorly gone out of true but they haven't stayed perfect and I have only done XC riding with them

Very light and fairly strong; certainly well made and good value as well.

Similar Products Used: no other complete wheelsets
Brandon   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2006]
Strength:

Strong rims, light(ish), front wheel has been flawless.

Rear hub is terrible.

This is for the 2005 Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc wheelset. After one year of riding (aggressive XC, no drops bigger than 4 feet) the hub body has seriously worn down (at the end where the bearing fits in). This is due to play between the hub body (where the pawls are) and freehub. This play (which is designed to be there - something to due with bearing wear according to the local shop) causes the freehub body to twist - at the end opposite the bearing - under high torque when you are in a low gear (like your granny gear), grinding the freehub against the outer rim of the hub body - where the bearing is - as you climb the steep stuff. After a year of riding, the edge of the hub is so worn out that the play in the freehub (and therefor the cassette) has increased and now moves several millimeters in those high torque situations - causing the chain to skip and ghost shift. Talked to several shops, and apparantly this happens with the new SLs as well. Very poor design. The only solution is to replace the hub - which is ridiculous after only one year for such a high priced product. Mavic should stick to rims and leave the hubs to more competent companies. This probably won't be an issue if you do mostly downhill, but if you like serious climbing (not just trekking up fire roads but pushing it hard up steep technical stuff) then the rear hub design is going to make you mad.

Brian Spring   Racer [Apr 19, 2006]
Strength:

There Mavic. smooth rolling hubs. indistructable, I know I tried.

stickers peel.

I have raced them, done drops with them, have had 2.1 tires or 2.3 tires and they have been trued once in two years(only because I botched a landing)hub still run mint, never had to touch them.

Similar Products Used: crossmax XL, crossmax XT, deemax, crosslands. all still in use and have a hard life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2007]
Strength:

Robust, have not required truing at all in spite of some abuse.

none really, a little heavy

Very happy with wheels to date. Have remained true and hubs have not required any repairs.

Similar Products Used: first disc wheelset I have owned. I was equally happy with previous Mavic CrossLink wheelset.
John Mullins   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2006]
Strength:

Weight, sturdiness, tubeless option

I weigh 190 and ride aggressively when I do ride. These wheels instantly made my bike better. I'm able to accelerate to clear the rock sections that before were my downfall. The bottom line is they made my bike better, and so far they haven't let me down in anyway. As for stickers peeling, I peeled my before I put them on the bike, stealth mode ya know.