Mavic Crossmax Enduro Disc Wheelset

Crossmax Enduro Disc

-Derived directly from the Crossmax XL, the Enduro shares many features with its predecessor. Fore drilling, UST welded, FTS-L hub, straight pull spokes with M7 nipples : these are all characteristics which make this superb wheel one to use for all aspects of your cycling experience.

vk45de   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2013]
Strength:

Decently strong
Lightweight
Cool-looking
Lot of clearance for brake caliper

Aluminum hub nuts are too soft
Same hub as CrossRide
Hard to mount tire (b/c narrow tubeless rim)
Skinny spokes
Complimentary spoke wrenches strip

Got these mainly to clear my Grimeca calipers w/o being the weak CrossRides. A little disappointed they have more in common with Xrides than Xmax... These really should've been called the CrossRide UST disc.

Ed   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight UST (only 1800g w/o skewers), good finish mate black (rims and hubs), stiff, almost no lateral flex (honestly, haven't noticed any), speeds smooth and quickly under rotation, carries well a 2.35" Nevegal, so that works for me.

Lame stickers, mainly the ones of the hub (who ever saw someone glue stickers to a hub?), rims could be wider (only 23,5mm, come on Mavic, it's called ENDURO, you knew?), rims are the same as XM-819 UST so you can build it for way less money, spokes are not Mavic's Zicral top alloy, needs a proper nipple wrench to true spokes.

Got the wheels under a sale offer, they are my first Mavic wheelset. They are not spetacular, not as impresive as others Mavic's top wheels XL or SL, but they do the job. Handles well around corners, they keep the line you want the bike to go, and they respond very well under braking, they don't seem to twist like some other wheels. Not jumped with them yet, but they seem very solid, and they are very well built, except for the stickers. Gonna ride it for more time and after 6 months I will enter a new review with trash test results. But so far, they are very good wheels for the price. Better than Shimano WH-765 and FSA XC-300.

Similar Products Used: Shimano WH-765 wheelset, FSA XC-300, Custom 717/DT comp/XT hubs, Custom Sun SOS/DT Comp/XT hubs
mike almeida   [Jan 24, 2006]
Strength:

very good

nada, niente

very good

Dan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2007]
Strength:

weight, rim strength, can go tubes or tubeless, looks

quite a bit of lateral flex

Nice wheelset - great hubs and skewers. I agree with the previous review... noticeable amount of flex in the rim, but has not damaged the wheelset in any way. I'm about 185 pounds and I ride pretty hard over some ugly stuff. Rims have not gone out of true. 24 spokes, you can expect some flex... might bother some people, but it's really pretty minor. Definitely not designed for freeride applications, and might not be worthy of the 'Enduro' name.

Similar Products Used: Rhyno Lite, 317, DS-1 XC
Tim   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2006]
Strength:

Super strong and light weight. Straight pull spokes are the reason for much of the strength.

none really

They have some flex to them, but it is to be expected with 24 spokes. It has not in any way affected the performance of the wheels. I dirt jump with them and take drops and they have held up well. No sign of weakness...

Similar Products Used: mavic 223 rims, 317 rims...
barry   Weekend Warrior [Aug 30, 2005]
Strength:

looks are all they seem to have going for them

very poor back up in New Zealand. I ordered 2005 wheels in may ,they arrived more than a month later and had bent axles. Shop tried to get parts from NZ importer and got the run around. I cancelled the order in late August.

Perhaps if a new importer takes control of the product in NZ I would reconsider owning a Mavic wheelset.

Similar Products Used: Hope hubs with Mavic rims and Stans
Jack the rider   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 2005]
Strength:

Oh what a difference UST makes!
Traction of UST and smooth rolling hubs!

Flex, to much flex for a wheel called an 'enduro.'
Hard turns picking my way down steeps the front'll flex.
Jamming jumps @ speed can make'r rub my stays a taste.

Worth the sale price of 4 bills but at $500 I'd spend more for better...
All in all a good set for me, though I don't expect them to last 2 yrs.

Similar Products Used: XT hubs laced to 219 and sweet King/discs on 819's
cees de wever   Racer [Jul 10, 2007]

These wheels are wonderfull on the road. They feel good in turns and bring the bike where you want it to go. The only real weak thing is the service of Mavic. Twice a spoke broke at the rim and damaged the rim. Both times after a bout 4.000 kilometers, were I bike about 15.000 km a year. At the end I received both times a new wheel, but it toke more than six weeks to check on faults. I'm happy to have more than 1 bike.

alphajaguars   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2005]
Strength:

Much quicker engagement than my last set
UST
great deal from my LBS

Don't know yet - I only have one ride on them so far.

Stil early to tell as I just got these last week. The biggest difference was how quickly the rear hub engaged compared to my last one. It made it much easier to properly time my pedal strokes over logs and around corners without loosing power.

hey are also about the same weight as the XL's, possibly even less if you are using the adapters for a QR.

I will update later after some more time on them, but so far so good!