Mavic Crossmax Disc Wheelset

Mavic Crossmax Disc

imtnbike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2009]
Strength:

After years of use - have NEVER had to true these wheels. As an aggressive clydesdale rider this is very impressive.

As you will read on other reviews - the rear hub is a nightmare...and Mavic knows it. Has been rebuilt once already and now the rear is toast again. Read the bottom line to get the bigger picture

The customer service with Mavic is like dealing with the French - oh, wait...they are a French company. The only stateside service is in Mass. - took 4 - four, not one, two or three but FOUR months for them to fix my rear hub. Last count that is equal to 1/3 of a year, but you can do the math. Every LBS I have talked to since say their customer service is spotty at best. With same situation now - been told to expect at least 4 weeks for another rebuild. Funny thing is that now Mavic has changed their entire rear hub construction (with exception to SL). No documentation to found or obtained on how maintain the wheels - after all this money, time and heartache I have been informed that if I had them taken in or self maintained every six weeks they can last a very long time...too late - bye, bye Mavic, it's been a great trip but I don't see you wheelin' with me in the future. We both lose out

Similar Products Used: Other wheels - all round
cyclopath1000   Cross Country Rider [Feb 22, 2009]
Strength:

I was one of the first users of UST technology and have two crossmax ust disc wheelsets, one was on each bike. They were light, responsive and excellent rims, sexy looking hub structure

But now I have trashed a total of three rear axles if the factory replacement is counted. The terminal event is the hub body wearing out the axle shaft creating accelerating cassette play.

The fact that the hub body causes irreversible axle wear placing the axle out of spec and unrepairable neccessatiates a review of the wisdom of owning this beautiful wheelset. I am having hope pro hubs with stan's rims made for both bikes. Until mavic redesignes the rear hub so that the hub body is not in potential contact with the axle(such as shimano's design) and this mechanism is replaceable while saving the hub DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT if you actually ride your bike. If you only hang it and gaze at it then this wheelset remains acceptable.

Matt   Racer [Mar 07, 2006]
Strength:

strength, light weight, hubs

on the Gen 1 rims you need to buy an adapted for your disc brakes

Even the 1st Gen. Cross Max are B/A they are fast, light weight, the only down fall is you need an adapted for the disc system you are going to run. MSRP $800, I paid $100.

James MacFarlane   Cross Country Rider [Sep 27, 2003]
Strength:

sealed bearings, lightweight, great looks

Very poor quality control from Mavic. It took the owner of Ecclestone Cycle 30-minutes to shake the metal filings out of the front rim before he installed them. The rear hub was tight from the start, but I thought it would loosen-up. Instead, the hub reequired a complete overhaul after 4 rides. I was told it was due to uneven lubrication.

Great product, but the same legendary quality control inadequacies often attributed French manufacturing.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XTR
Neil   Cross Country Rider [Sep 20, 2001]
Strength:

Takes an absolute pounding. Stays true. Light light light.

Adjustment cone, which is located under the disc mount, loosens after a few rides, necessitating removal of 6 disc bolts, then 4 mount bolts, to access the cone.

This is a really fine wheel - the model year 2000, non UST version. Upon receipt from the eBay seller, I was concerned about the loose hub, until I found the adjustment cone under the disc mount adapter. Low spoke count and direct-pull configuration looks a little thin for a disc wheel, but the proof is in the riding.

Very light - noticable difference from my crossride. Braking is stupendous. I do hear some spoke 'pting' noise when hard braking on rough steeps, but the wheel stays true, ride after ride after ride. This includes some of the most agressive rocks, rooty, and loggy terrain in VT (which can be found on a certain mountain in Addison Cty VT...). Minimal lateral sway for the low count. I am really very pleased with this wheel, which I got as-new for a very good price on eBay. Value rating is accordingly high.

Similar Products Used: Crossride, for-crap Weinmann 420's
Steve   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2006]
Strength:

lightweight, tube- or tubeless

the hubs!!! (and the stickers)

I'm disappointed. I'm learning to ride more aggressive but still don't take anything serious over 3 feet. There's some play starting to happen in my rear wheel. No catastrophic failure yet, but a friend told me this is common with Mavic hubs that they need to be rebuilt. I thought for the price I paid these would be more stout than the Sun Ringles I was using (which are still intact). I suppose I'll keep riding them until the hub finally goes (then get something handbuilt with better hubs). Oh yeah, and the stickers don't last through winter riding (but the Sun Ringles do).

Similar Products Used: some base model Mavic that came with my Kona, Sun Ringle Disc Jockey
Arthur G   Weekend Warrior [Apr 22, 2006]
Strength:

after only two rides the rear free-hub failed completely. Both teeth on the inside had popped out of their casing because the rear lip the held them in place was broken, causing the freehub to seize.
I returned it and got my money back.

light weight hub is perhaps too light... lower weight at the cost of sacrificed quality is not worth it.

Poor quality and design... buying a cheap wheel is not worth it.

Pat G   Weekend Warrior [Nov 07, 2000]
Strength:

light weight, outstanding hubs, excellent bearing

White color, improper spoke tension, proprietary spokes. Rims need a bit more width to be more stable

These are actually very nice wheels. The only problem is that the spokes aren't tensioned properly at the factory, they are not hand built. If you take em to a bike shop when new, have em retensioned properly, then check them regularly until they are seated, then you'll never have problems. The rims are pretty narrow, thus the low wieght. I turned my brand new front wheel into a pretzel after only one ride due to the spoke tension problem. But...since then, I have had no problems at all. My wife thrashed em in a trip to Fruita and Vail, didn't even have to hit em with a spoke wrench. Supergo has em down to around $400 now, make sure they give you the 6 hole interational standard bolt pattern adapters, or they'll charge $65 per wheel (weak!)

Similar Products Used: Specialized disks, bontrager ASYM disks,
Jonathan Savage   Racer [Sep 29, 2000]
Strength:

Light, light, light

Weaker, Weaker

You definetly can't hammer on these wheels. But they are light and the perfect Xc race wheel. Make sure you have someone who know what they are doing build these up....or even tension them. IF they are not built or tensioned correctly they will fold under you. And you wont be able to do anything about it. Look out if you have the Coda brakes because this is the only wheel that works...only good wheel that is...and mavic is stopping their production after this year. E mail me with questions....I have had to deal with replacing the rims on these quite a bit recently and know the best way to get it done..