Mavic Crosslink Wheelset

Crosslink

Mavic Crosslink

mack daddy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

cheap, good for weekend worrier

weak. I tacoed the rim with a fairly minor hit (dont think I even fully compressed my shock.

The wheel set was the last low end items on my bike, I upgrade everytime I break something, and they lasted six months. This is one of the shortest life cycles of all my gear (except drive chain in the winter).

Mack daddy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2002]
Strength:

Cheap, reliable, light, and take a good beating without much complaining.

I ride three to four times a week with lots of climbing, downhills, rocks, mud, etc and they are still running like new.

FLEX. Stickers were pealing before they were on the bike but who cares.

After adding some tension on the spokes the wheels performed much better,

They are a good cheap wheel set, want top of the line pay for it. If you are stepping up to disk brakes and dont have the cash for all the upgrades it a good place to start.

Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Feb 12, 2003]
Strength:

Very stiff, spins smoothly, looks snappy, stays true pretty well

hub, bizarre spoke pattern, stickers

Bought just the rear wheel, "slightly used by lightweight female rider" on ebay for 80 bucks with shipping and all. I have put maybe 400-500 miles on it, with 10% of that being very rugged, rast, technical areas with large jumps and dropoffs (mountain terrrain), and the rest road (gotta get groceries). Anyways, the wheel has stayed very true and stiff, but I noticed yesterday that the hub has spun itself loose. Not sure if it's Mavic's fault, or the seller's. We'll see.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 221
robby   Cross Country Rider [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

very light
they stay true very well
affordable

stickers were crappy right out of the box

i really love these wheels, apart from the fact the the stickers are crap, i have had no problems with them.. i have ridden them very hard for a year now and they have NEVER gone out of true.. for being as light as they are, they hold up very well.
sure, crossmax wheels are better, but they're too expensive for most of us..

Alan   [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

Wheel stays true.
Rims have held up well

Freehub SUCKS
Mavic service SUCKS

Bottom line is that after a year, the freehub gave out. Mavic SUCKS for service and doesn't respond to emails. Their dealer listing has shops in the area and one shop quoted me $65-105 to replace the freehub and they would not sell me a freehub so that I could avoid their $25 charge to put on a effing freehub. And the freehub is proprietary to Mavic and can't be substituted. After this no way would I buy a another wheelset from Mavic. I have a decent wheelset that's dead because I can't get a freehub. So screw mavic freehubs, I'm taking the hub out and relacing the rim with a Shimano compatible freehub.
Mavic rims are decent but I'll never take a chance on Mavic wheelsets again.

Similar Products Used: Racing since 1990, many products tried.
Stephen Smith   Cross Country Rider [Oct 12, 2002]
Strength:

weight/dollar

none yet

After using this site to do my research, for a 155 lbs rider there can't be a better wheel value out there!! You'd have to spend ALOT more money to really gain anything at all. These wheels are strong, light and fast and after two years of riding them I had to true them for the first time last week! My riding is contained mostly to the midwest(flatlands of Illinois) but I hop and jump off everything I can! These wheels are awesome!! Buy them!!

Similar Products Used: cheap stock wheels and various road wheels
Clay   Weekend Warrior [Oct 03, 2001]
Strength:

Looks, weight, disc capatability

Some flex, and my rear hub freewheel assembly broke... Oh, and a sticker was coming off out of the box

I like these wheels but there is some flex. I broke the rear hub while pedaling hard on a flat and now it only freewheels in both directions. Just sent them back to Mavic who says this is not common. I guess I'll see how it goes and make another post in the future. Otherwise no real gripes but I do plan on upgrading to Speed dreams with Chris King hubs.

Similar Products Used: Rolf Dolomites
Joel   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive...lightweight, pretty decent wheels for the money, although for about $30 more I could have gotten a better set of shimano/mavic wheels.

Oddball components. Company won't deal with you, unless you are a dealer...most dealers don't stock parts. I always carried a spare rear wheelset with me in the car, when I went on long trips.

Decent wheels for the money, as long as you live near a good LBS. Now I see that they have beefed up the rear hub, and called them "Cross-Ride".
I replaced mine with a set of Velomax Climax's, for about the same amount of money...we'll see how they hold up.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT/Mavic 517's, Velomax Climax's.
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2003]
Strength:

light, excelent technology

Dont crash... thats all

Dont crash, i folded one of these in half going downhill... super good and light wheel for anything else though

Similar Products Used: Hugi with sun rim
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Feb 19, 2003]
Strength:

light, excelent technology

Dont crash... thats all