Mavic Crossland Wheelset

Mavic Crossland Wheelset

Mavic Crossland

[Oct 26, 2010]
Rob

Strength:

Tubeless,Lite weight,just 4.3lb pair, strong ,24 spokes,sealed hubs run great,I love this wheelset,no problems at all after 2 years.

none as far.

I love this wheelset,no problems at all after 2 years. Hubs still running great,no aligment needed. Light weight, can use disco or v-brake. Great value !

Mavic 317 , Vuelta xpr , specialzied DT x430

[Aug 09, 2010]
icemonkey

Strength:

Cheap and very very strong

HEAVY

Well I ride a lot and when I upgraded to 9 speed I needed new wheel and these were very affordable with the mavic name. I didnt have the time or inclination to build up my own so I nabbed these. Overall they are very robust. In fact I would consider them not just bomb proof but nuclear bomb proof. 2 - 3 years riding and they are still true - never seen that before. Ive not even taken a spoke tool to them - deliberately as I keep hoping they will die and I can buy a lightweight set. No problem with the hub (that I refuse to service) but im about 170 ish. I do ride a lot - 3 times a week minimum. For cheap, excellent but at recommended retail there are better.

Phew! Lots and Lots and Lots of em

[Nov 03, 2008]
emisteve

Strength:

Strong for Heavy loads and long distance

Free hub sometimes slips

Have used the Mavic Cross land on two bikes ridden 9400km's from Just north of Islamabad Pakistan til Chiang Mai, Thailand via India, Nepal, Tibet. Mostly asphalt but some rugged roads in Tibet. The wheels are still going strong. Not a problem except for several days after 5500km when the free hub started slipping. Checked the Mavic dealers servicing site and it seems a simple procedure to service the free hubs. Being a lazy bloke I love the fact that the wheel hubs have cassette bearings it takes a lot of worry out of servicing. If there is a problem with the ball races just toss out the bearing and slip in new ones complete. Haven't changed them yet.
Worth buying.

Sun rims Shimano XT hubs

[Oct 12, 2008]
Not So Fast

As stated in previuos ratings weight of rider may be a factor in rear hub functional. I weigh 215 lbs. There was a grinding noise coming from the rear hub. I had it serviced about 6 months ago. The grinding started again today. I seems to happen when free wheeling.

Other 200+ pounders have had problems with the rear hub. Count me in as unsatisfied.

[Jul 19, 2008]
aweewawah

Strength:

Cheapest UST wheelset I know of, seem to be holding up well and staying true

rim is very easy to ding, not causing any out of round issues, but if i was running rim brakes i think it would affect stopping power and brake feel considerably.

Cheap. I wanted to try tubeless without going broke, and i am very happy I did. It feels like my bike is 5 pounds lighter when riding (not when carrying it!). much better acceleration, it actually seems to have firmer grip on rocks and rough surfaces, the same amount of pressure feels like less so you get better traction and WAY less rolling resistance. tires are very easy to mount once you get the hang of it, it takes some practice though. i did have a couple of pressure losses due to the bead breaking, luckily i didnt lose all the air and was able to air up on the trail, but if you are running tubless it becomes even more important to carry tubes with you when riding (kind of ironic, no?). I also recommend one of those CO2 tire inflators. It seems like it takes several rides to really break them in and get the bead to set real nicely (althought I am running non-UST which might also be the problem), but once you do they keep air great, ussually only losing a few pounds over sveral weeks or even months. Ive had tubes that where worse then that! Stans is the real holy grail of tubeless technology though, not too long ago i noticed a hole in the sidewall of my rear tire that i could have shoved a small screwdriver though. All the sealant seemed to have dried up, which will happen if your tire stay on the rims for 6 months or more. I was about to go ride with some friends and didnt have the money for a new tire so i unseated the bead, put some more Stans in there, and went riding (with a couple of tubes in my backpack of course). that was 2 months ago and i havent done a thing to the tire since. Bottom Line: if you want to go tubeless for cheap, these are the only wheels I know of. Make sure you use lots of Stans Notubes though!

none in the UST category

[Jan 12, 2004]
Jeff Murchison

Strength:

Hubs, UST, looks, Disc or V's

Well if I have to find one it would be the rear wheel needed to be tensioned after a couple of rides

This is for the new 04 Crosslands not the older models.

So far this wheelset has been better then I hoped for. I needed a new wheelset to go with Disc brakes and these fit my budget. I knew right away after the first ride that they were a great upgrade. This are so much stiffer then the stock wheels I had and really changed the bikes handling for the better in really show the difference in the corners and taking off. The hubs are also really nice with the way they seem to roll effortlessly and are sealed so very low maintinace.

These are a great wheelset for the price. I won't give it an overall 5 rating as I think they can be just a little lighter.

Botrager wheels that came stock on my Fuel 80

[Mar 27, 2006]
Mimi

I read in a few reviews that some people were having trouble putting narrow road tires on this wheel... when i put my 1.5 michelins on the crossland, it was pretty tough until i caved and decided to read the manual in more depth that i had been (i glance at the pictures... i'm a picture glancer...) and tried the soapy water on the bead idea those wonderful technical manual writers took the time to include. it worked out really well. i heard some loud popping sounds, as the manual said there should be, of the tire locking into place. no need to cut out the UST plastic lining for me. i just had to take a deep breath and read the f-ing manual.

touche

[Feb 19, 2006]
Ben

Strength:

Strong. Stiff. Versatile (disc or rim brake). Tubeless! Hubs (as with all mavic wheels). Cheap.

None that I have observed yet.

I think that Mavic has reincarnated the name "Crossland," so the wheels pictures and those that are reviewed earlier are not the same "Crosslands" that are sold in 2005.

These wheels have made a huge improvement to my bike. They accelerate like whoa b/c when run tubeless all the mass is at the hub! Not only that, these wheels are the stiffest wheels I have ever rode. I don't mean to imply that they have a terrible ride. I just mean that you can really feel your suspension work the way in which it was intended (and that goes for hardtails too!). The tubeless feature has been nothing but wonderful for me with Michelin tires. Though some have complained about Mavic freehubs, I have had no troubles. I am only 150 lbs, but I manage to break many bike parts. I have made the complete switch to mavic hubs, as their cartridge bearings are completely and cheaply replaceable.

I can't believe I got these wheels for 250 with tubeless tires. They might have been the best bike related buy I have ever gotten. Try a set...you won't be sorry.

Shimano hubs/mavic rims

[Dec 29, 2006]
dave

Strength:

price, performance, reliable

rim brake sidewall looks goofy

Very reliable I going to buy another set for my hardtail, easy tire mount IF you follow instructions the newer generation of tubeless tires are easier to mount, I run Stans sealant and rim strips in the wheel, forget about airing the tires back up out on the trail if they fail which is a rare occurence pop the Stans rim strip out and install a tube, the stock UST strip is substantially more difficult to get out.I have put thousands of miles on a set of tires and I am convinced this is the most reliable set up Mavics costlier wheels are great if you can afford them, I will NEVER return to inner tubes again.

stans conversion with 717 rim brake mavics

[Mar 09, 2004]
Spangelsare great

Strength:

Cheap.
Tubed or Tubeless.
Relaceable bearings.

The rim tape (see below).

I bought these wheels for my commuter bike and they have generally lived up to my expectations. They went on okay and work well with my Avid Mech brakes.

The main problem with them is I am using narrow Specilized Fatboy tyres as it is my Commuter bike. The rim tape has a dip in the middle of it with ridges before the rim wall to assist in seating a tubeless tyre. It is impossible to fit the narrow tyres without part of the bead getting stuck in the dip in the middle of the rim. This caused a rip in the bead of my tyre which when I got my first puncture burst causing the bead to separate and caused me long walk to work.

To install the tyres I had to use washing up liquid to get the tyre to pop out of the dip. It is not a huge problem at home but I am sceptical that I won't cause damage to the tyre if I have to do it out in the field.

The jury is out on the rim tapes at the mo. I may have to cut them out and use standard ones if the problem happens the next time I puncture.

Hence the jury is out and I will give it 3 Chilis at present.

Formula OEM wheels.