Mavic Crossland UST Wheelset

• Front and rear body: Aluminum
  • Bearing: QRM

[Jun 02, 2011]
icemonkey

Strength:

Cheap, if on sale

The freehub often comes un-greased

Do you have these? do they click loudly? STOP immediately service the freehub and add grease. Mine came new without ANY grease on the free hub/pawl interface and for some reason it eats grease. I end up stripping the freehub at least three times a year just to grease it. Even at that the pawls are getting very worn. Having said all this the wheels have stayed true through my mad riding and have yet to fall fail. They are cheap though. Removing the freehub is very easy though 1 bolt and then just pull it off.

more than there is space

[Nov 14, 2010]
axekid423

Strength:

tubeless, nice hub, no problems until recently and was used before i got it

rim bent in recently but psi may have been too low

nice wheels. im not sure how much they cost new b/c i bought a used bike and they came w/

[May 27, 2009]
aroundoz

Strength:

They have stayed straight and true.

Poor seals. Debris gets into the freehub body. 1st time it caused a grinding noise. Had it serviced and same thing happened again and caused the freehub to seize which turned my bike into a fixed gear. It's being serviced again and will see how long it lasts this time.

I weigh 235 and ride more AM than CC and I have been surprised that these wheels have stayed true. If it weren't for the freehub issues, they would get five chilis. I don't ride in wet conditions/mud so surprised this is happening.

[Apr 16, 2009]
Richard S

Strength:

UST, Stiff, stays true

Rear axle breaks easily

This is my second bike to ride with Crossland wheels. I have been very happy with them. I weigh 250, so when I broke my rear axle I understood that my weight was a factor. That said, I was surprised to learn that this is a common problem with this wheelset. I have about 2cm' break off my axle. I've been waiting 2 months for Mavic to ship a replacement axle to my bike shop, and it's still not in stock. Fortunately, the bike shop loaned me another wheel to use in the meantime.

2nd pair of CrossLands

[Jan 26, 2009]
Interloper

Strength:

straight spokes, build quality, tubeless, looks

rear axle
weight but theese are cheap!

Great wheels had no issues for just under 2 years. Dont do large drop offs and weigh 80kg so not horrid stress on the wheels. However like others report here broken rear axle. Clearly a design fault. So why the outrageous cost on a replacement?

multiple shimano, WTB and mavic wheel sets

[Aug 25, 2008]
Quentin

Strength:

Always true, rim holds up well to abuse, easy to seat the tire w/ a hand pump

Rear axle

I was very happy with the wheels until the rear axle broke (~ 2 years of use). ~ 2cm of the threaded end of the axle broke off, leaving the wheel wobbling all over. Mavic will only sell service parts to a distributor and the axle is $45. My riding is a mix of cross country and all mountain and I won't say that I'm easy on the wheels. Functionally, I was very happy with the wheels. I am slightly disappointed with the durability.

Cheap wheelset from my rockhopper

[May 22, 2008]
Guy

Strength:

Super strong. Smooth. Spinning is continuous and flawless. Looks Great. all in one. tubeless, with tubes, v-brakes or disc. Quite light.

None so far

Its just awsome. people like to buy super expensive things just to buy and feel good but they never compete or race. This wheelset is darn good. highly recommended if you can't spend $400-$600 on a wheelset. can't go wrong!

Mavic crossride and crosstrail (can't afford it)

[Aug 21, 2007]
Keith

Strength:

UST, rims are fairly strong and stay true

Hub is complete crap, shims in freehub come loose, a ceramic bushing inside the freehub wears down and causes play in the freehub, causing shifting and cassette problems

Buy only if you plan on replacing after around 600 miles of mtb. Mavic does not know how to make a serviceable, quality rear wheel. 1 time shame on you, 2 times shame on me. Never again will I buy mavic. xt/ rhynolites - $150 - 4500 miles and counting

2 chilis for working well for 6 months.

mavic crossmax (lasted longer than crossland) but too expensive to fix, xt hubs w/ rhynolites (indestructable)

[May 02, 2007]
Seth

Strength:

Can run either disc or rim brakes. Never needs truing.

If using the supplied quick-release, will damage your fork's dropout. Can't get the quick-release tight enough, evenually comes loose, causes the dropout to rub against the hub.

Upgrade the cheap quick-release skewer prior to using these wheels. After one year of use and not using better skewers, I'm looking at replacing the lower legs on my $600 fork. Lesson learned.

[Apr 15, 2007]
gary

Strength:

perform well, rugged, inexpensive, ust, look good

i ride year round day or night and wanted to try ust, fixing flats on a cold winter night or mosquito infested bottomlands was getting old, tight budget,so i got these on the advice of my mechanic at a local bike shop. i'm well over a thousand miles on the first set and only needed a minor truing once on the front wheel. ride weirwolfs with a little stans, the wheels don't really feel all that heavy, ride alot of rocky stuff and my rims always look it, these have held up well, still roll smooth and i haven't flatted once. i don't know why these aren't more popular than they are, i consider these a great buy.

numerous other stuff, xt hubs on different rims, hope xc on 717's