Mavic 517 & Hugi Mavic 517 & Hugi Wheelset

517 & Hugi Mavic 517 & Hugi

Mavic 517 & Hugi Mavic 517 & Hugi

Allen   Downhiller [Apr 17, 2003]
Strength:

These wheels are the best! after I rode em' off a 5-footer to flat, they were not bent at all.(And I have a HARDTAIL)
Nice and light too, they also look pretty.

Price.

These wheels are the best! Good for anyone! They can take anything.from ten-foot drops to an XC race. Definetly a good buy. A little pricey though. I'm givin' em' five Flamin' Chilis!

Similar Products Used: Zip.
Flo   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 21, 1999]
Strength:

the Hugi

the rest

The site told me not to review a product which I have never used but I feel like I have to.I have never owned one of the Mavic 517 & Hugi though I wanted to get one set a few weeks ago. I went to my favorite bike store and asked a good friend if he could order the Mavic 517 CD Ceramic and the Hugi. They had several of the 517 CD Ceramic but not the Hugi. What he showed me then changed my mind of Mavic completely. I always thought Mavic would be an excellent brant since they are expensive, come with Hugis and you can always see the Mavic supply cars at the Tour De France. I just thought if they use it...
Anyway, the friend gave me several rims that were split in half just after 2 month. He refused to sell me any of their rims except the old ones. I myself have old Mavics on my bike and they work just fine. The new ones forget them. For the Hugi. It is a great hub. A little expensive and noisy but otherwise smooth and indestructible. The Hugi gets 5 chilies and the Mavic 517 zero. All in all I have to give the set one since it is only as strong as its weekest component.

John Cummings   Racer [Jan 13, 2000]
Strength:

These wheels are dynamite strong. If you can bend them, they true easily. Extremely lite especially with lightweight tubes and tires. Can really lower over all weight of bike. Hugi hubs are flawless. Indestructible. Run em through rain, mud, snow, they never need adjusting or messing with.

Pricey. The hubs are expensive and if you do the full DT Revolution spokes and 517s, it gets very expensive. But it is worth it if you want to really feel a big difference.

Can't beat em unless you want to spend more money. Cheaper than crossmaxs, lighter than crossmaxs, easier to get parts, easier to true, and less appetizing to theives. XTR with the same spokes and rims would probably be very comperable, but why give them anymore money.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 217/DT14/15G/GaryFisher hubs, Sun 0 lites with DT 14/14G/STX-RC hubs.
kerry chrapliwy   Racer [May 05, 1999]
Strength:

loved the click of the hub, but have to replace the 517 at least once a year. This time the eyelits cracked.

rear hub gave out only after two years, for a bomb proof hub not very good

I don't know if Mavic, is still the way to go, and not very impressed with the HUGI rear hub, a menace to overhaul, most bike shops don't have the tools

Similar Products Used: xt still works fine
Richard   Cross-Country Rider [Mar 14, 1999]

The purchased the Mavic 517 Hugi wheelset since I destroyed my factory wheelset. I was try to fix the rear hub but instead destroyed it. I asked around and was deciding between a King and Hugi hubs and the Mavic 517. I ended up getting the Mavic 517 Hugi setup since I found a great deal on one. I had the wheeset for almost a month now and just got into an accident. I ran into a rock and destroyed my Girvin Fork. The drop outs are bent and I had to call the maufacture to get a new one. K2 / Proflex seems to be really understanding and I should be getting the replacement legs. The Mavic 517 and Hugi are so strong and well built that even destroying the fork, the Wheelset and Hugi were still fine. The wheels did not even need to be trued. The Mavic 517 and Hugi 36 Spoke wheelset are lighter compared to other wheelset with 32 spokes. These wheels are great!

Andrew   Racer [Feb 03, 2004]
Strength:

Indestructible

Havn't found one yet

These are the Hugi made Specialized hubs Laced to 517 rims, Radial laced front and 3X rear. These are indestructible. I have raced them for three seasons, never any problems. Taken a trip to Moab, and Riden harder than I thought they could handle. Taken nasty crashes and gotten big air on them. I have them set up with Stans No Tubes and Maxis Larsen Mimos, they are super light, roll fast and climb hills like a goat. Bottom line, I love them.