HED Hed Lite Tail Lite Wheelset

HED Hed Lite Tail Lite Wheelset

Ultra light mountain wheels, the Hed Lite and Tail Lite set a new standard for off-roading. Built around our newest sonic hubs, the Hed Lite (front) comes with a 15mm alloy axle and the Tail Lite (rear) with a 16mm alloy axle and alloy cassette body. Both front and rear come with sealed cartridge bearings.

The Hed LIte is 28 hole and radial laced with 14g 6/4 Ti spokes. The Tail Lite is 28 hole 2x / radial with 6/4 Ti on the non-drive side, DT revolution on the drive side. The 6/4 titanium is important because it is harder and has a higher tensile strength than the 3.25 titanium that is used on other Ti spokes. The stronger titanium makes the wheels stiffer - they feel like steel spoked wheels. We can use 6/4 because the spokes don't have heads. Also, because the drive side on the rear hub has a standard flange, we use steel spokes there.

• Weight: front 630 grams, rear 800 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 13, 2002]
    BKElvis

Strength:

Nicely built light wheels. They're simple & light. Purchased last fall. Raced on them once at Iceman in November & they are quick. I use my slightly modified version of Stan's tubeless system with Ritchey Alpha/Omega WCS tires 2.1's. These aren't tubeless wheels, but Stan's system (www.notubes.com) definitely works & works well. I'm planning to use the Hed wheels for racing only. Wheels aren't fancy, just functionally light.

There is a little groove in hubs that catches crap.

I'll update this after racing these wheels this spring. Check these wheels out on the HED website. Delivery took about three days. Definitely LIGHT, great price, we'll see how they handle XC racing. These wheels are light enough to really make a difference without sacrificing strength. Stan's tubeless w/these wheels is an amazingly light combination. Buy them if you want light without being stupid light. Used in one race at Iceman (27 miles XC) without any problems other than a broken chain & bonking.

Ritchey WCS OCR wheelset (still have & use Stan's tubeless), XTR w/Mavic, XT w/Mavic

OVERALL
    [Jun 27, 2002]
    Mike Ruff

Strength:

Light weight, smooth hubs with a good seal.

Not strong enough.

First off, I am a 200lb Sport class crosscountry racer. I called HED before I purchased them and asked if they thought they would be strong enough. They assured me that they were. Well they are not. The front is fine. The rear winds up on climbs. I can hear the spokes creaking every time I climb something steep. Secondly, the spokes keep loosening. The wheel requires so much attention and is so unreliable that I don't run it anymore. I even tried going 3 cross on the drive side to stop the winding and it did not work.

Cane Creeks