Fulcrum Red Zone Wheelset

Red Zone

The rims are class 21 lightened between one spoke and the other, so we have a rim that is strong but at the same light. Both the front and rear wheels have 24 stainless steel spokes with variable thickness 2.2/1.8/2, with reinforced head, distributed according to Fulcrum 2:1 technology with double the number of spokes on the cassette side for the rear wheel and disc side for the front.

lew242   All Mountain Rider [Feb 21, 2013]
Strength:

Light, strong, intelligently priced tubeless wheel-set, look good, fast engagement

Worry about spares, so-so stickers, a little bit narrow, no adapters for front or rear means less flexibility, spend less if you are going to use tubes

I bought this wheel-set because I had a great deal of success with the Red Metal 5 wheel-set that is still going strong after 5 years abuse. I've done about 6 months on this set. My impression is that they are only a slightly better set than red metal 5, a bit lighter, a bit stronger, a bit wider. It seems what you are really paying for is the tubeless technology with this wheel-set. I'm running this set tubeless on my bike and it's worth the weight saving. If you are going to run tubes I'd suggest not spending the money and getting a cheaper set. Also other manufacturers have adapters with many wheel-sets. I've got fr/20mm rear/QR, although you can get fr/15mm or 12mm rear, but often with Fulcrum no adapters so you buy then you are locked in, a bit annoying, although I bought these for a 4X bike, so shouldn't be an issue.

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum Red Metal 5, Fireeye Excellerant LT, Alexrims, Shimano, various OEM sets
wilsonblur   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2011]
Strength:

Relatively light for an AM wheel, true UST, strong, rolls well, 72pt engagement, reliable, multiple axle choices, stay true, just a great wheel set! They are easy to service.

could be a lack of replacement parts, but I haven't had any issues yet, rims are soft, I have straightened the edges about 4 times this year. I may be running to low a pressure, can't handle more than a 2.35

This is a great wheel set. I love mine for anything that my Nomad can handle. 5-7 foot drops, bike park, jump track, and all the trail you can throw at it. I love the 72pt engagement for technical climbs. I find them stiff and reliable at this point after a year of Colorado riding. I love the real UST rim rather than rim strips. For the price they are hard to beat by the competition. They have a Campy freehub that I hope lasts. I am 165lbs and don't wreck wheels much if that helps you decide.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 240/Mavic, Hadley/DT Swiss 5.1
mortifiedpenguin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 14, 2011]
Strength:

light and strong. very cheap for what you get.

36 point 10 degree engagement is good - but the industry is getting its act together last year and more positive engagement hubs are now commonplace.

i have beaten the HELL out of these things for a year, one mild ding in the rear courtesy of an off in a rock garden - easily and cheaply fixed. light, stiff and responsive. its hard to find decent reviews on this so i figured i would throw it out there - I was going to keep these until i could throw deemaxs on - but now the only reason i would swap would be to run wider rubber (2.4 is the max these will support with pressure in the 20-30psi range before squirm sets in - 2.5 minions are a true 2.39 FYI). as a note i bent a spoke on the front - spoke tension is still almost totally even and rim is still true - IN FACT AS A 95-100KG RIDER THESE RIMS HAVE NEVER GONe OUT OF TRUE! i am impressed.