Fulcrum Red Metal 29 SL Wheelset

• Brakes: disk, 6 ISO bolts

[Apr 10, 2012]
Rugby sucks
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Well made hubs, Strong wheelset, not too heavy, great value. I was worried about the spoke count being only 28 per wheel, as I sometimes ride some interesting terrain, and weigh approx. 82 kg. However, I need not have worried, as they are quite strong.

None, as this wheelset does what it is meant to do.

If you are really worried about weight, lose some from your Arse. Much cheaper, and you go faster !!

These wheels are great value for money, and are well made.

Alex, Sun equaliser, mavic, Chris king, Hope.

[Feb 21, 2012]

Strength:

Strong, stiff, and a quiet freewheel

Heavy and covered with ugly stickers

An inexpensive wheelset that performs well, but is heavy and ugly. Remove the stickers and you're left with a good wheelset at a great price.

I've used these wheels for trail riding and enduro races, and they've never let me down.

My wheels w/o skewers weigh 2028g. This was done before I removed the stickers, and they may well be under 2kg now. Either way, they're still heavy.

Mostly Mavic and Shimano wheels

[Oct 07, 2010]
fishwar

Strength:

For the price they are the best value I found. Very solid and improves my confidents. Very little flex and they can take a beating. I am 215lb and ride a lot of rocky trails. So far the wheels have stayed true.

I can't see any!

For $300 these wheels are solid and strong. There seems to be three price points on 29" MTB wheel sets. $150 and below (too low quality to bother with), $300, and $500 and over. In the $300 range these wheels seem to be the best for the money.

Just the stock wheels on my 29" Specialized RockHopper.

[Mar 08, 2010]
bonin_in_the_boneyard

Strength:

Very stiff and responsive. Nice looking decals.

Heavy, but I don't care. Gaudy decals, but I'll peel them off.

I had no idea that the wheels were such a weak link on this bike. When I switched from 26 to 29-inch wheels I thought the springy slop when pedaling hard, the instability in fast corners, and the flat tire feeling during hard breaking were from the low-end fork or otherwise just inherent in the 29-er geometry. I can't believe it took 3 years to finally decide that it was due to a sh!tty wheelset.

$300 is a lot of money for me, so I was concerned that my investment might not result in the improvement that I was hoping for. But I could feel the difference in these wheels before I left the parking lot. The biggest and most surprising difference is how much better they climb. I am not really sure what to attribute that to, but they just seem to require less concentration to keep them from spinning out.

One cool thing about these wheels is the axle. It really is a 20mm aluminum axle. That adds a lot of rigidity to the fork and frame without requiring an upgrade to either. That's the perfect solution for a guy like me who doesn't do enough pure downhill to justify a 20mm thru-axle setup, but who rides hard enough to want a more robust front end. It's like I got a bonus fork upgrade for the price of the wheels.

The decals are attractive, but I like a nondescript look, so I'll probably peel them off. The wheels are a little heavy, but I don't really care. Maybe if I had trouble keeping up with my buddies it would matter, but it's not worth it to me to pay $200 to shed 300g. On my budget I'm much more concerned with durability.

Bottom line is 10 chilis. If I have any problems with these wheels in the future I'll report back accordingly.

Stock Ritchey / Shimano wheels.

[Feb 02, 2010]
myke2241

Strength:

spins smooth, strong, great looks

maybe a bit heavy.

For what i paid for these wheels there is nothing out there that comes close. They come off a bit heavy but i think that issue is resolved by how smooth these things roll. my only complaint is that they are heavy. but at a mar $270. it is not a issue

Fulcrum XLR, Mavic Crossmax 29er

[Mar 12, 2009]
chadgo

Strength:

looks, bladed spokes look good, super strong so far.

a little heavy if you're a weight weenie. but where else can you buy a wheelset by a great company for this low price.

for the price, they're solid. look great w/their graphics on the sidewalls. i weigh 240 and have had no problem with them yet, riding single track with lots of jumps and drops.

wtb speeddisc.