Fulcrum Red Metal 1 Wheelset

• Quick release
  • Axial fitting system
  • Oversize axle

WT   Weekend Warrior [May 21, 2017]
Strength:

Control, smoothness, transfer of power, light weight, workmanship

Could be cheaper :)

I coverted the original wheel to tubeless with the same tires, and try that out for a week. So the comments are the difference in the wheels, not the conversion to tubeless.
It is easier to covert the original wheels to tubeless with Stans tape, than to mount the Fulcum Red Metal. I almost have to go to the near by gas station to use its pump. I managed to use my house pump by forcing the tire to the reem by inserting small pieces of chalk and clamping the tire down in several spots.

Similar Products Used: Wheels came with the XDS MT2, which are cheap, I mean poor quality and workmanship and feel. Giant XTC equipped with Folio XR200,which I am very happy with. Both are carbon fiber frames.
Peter   [Jan 03, 2013]
Strength:

Tubeless, weight, toughness ...

none found up to now...

Good set of factory wheels, I've been using them for 1,5 years and apart from trueing the front wheel once recently, haven't had any issue whatsoever. Nice looking en very stiff wheels, gives that 'instant speed' feeling. I have these on a 2011 Specialized Camber. Best upgrade i've done. Stock wheels freewheel started skreeking after 1000 kms of riding, got sick of it and got me these. Wheels change a bike's feel soooo much, and these are good ! My riding is mostly XC and trailriding, some technical downhill trails, no hard core DH ...

Trailjunkie   Cross Country Rider [Jan 27, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff!, ultra smooth bearings, stability, reliable, freehub works perfekt and is a joy to the ears, looks sexy, set it and forget it

These Wheelsets are great. The bearings are ultrasmooth and once set in motion these wheels don't stop spinning. They are very stiff and tough. Missed lines and bigger rocks - no problem! There was no need to true them in two years! The bearings had no play at all and the freehub works great. They are not the lightest wheelsets but they resisted everything I did to them.
Mounting UST tires is a bit tricky as always but once on the rim you can enjoy. In addition to this they are very stiff. These wheels just feel good!

Similar Products Used: Schimano XT Mavic 317, Shimano XT Alex Rims
DogBone51   Racer [Sep 27, 2010]
Strength:

Fairly Light. Rolls Super Fast and Easy. Very Stiff and Strong. Looks Awesome!

Graphics are decals if you want to call that a weakness.

These wheels are awesome! They roll super fast. I'm constantly rolling up on my riding buddies who have Mavic CrossMax and American Classic wheels. These wheels, are perhaps not the lightest on the planet they are still fairly light. Most of the additional weight is in the hub as they use a very durable and free spinning double sealed cartridge bearing. (Unlike Mavic and many others). I weigh 210lbs and these wheels are very stiff. No flex even with my big butt flogging them down the trails. Very strong - I ran my front wheel over with my car on accident. The brake rotor and skewer were mangled all to hell, but the wheel itself was perfectly straight and true. I couldn't believe it! If you want an awesome looking wheel set that is fast, light, stiff and strong get these. If you want one of the best wheel sets on the market get these. If you want garbage, buy something else.

Similar Products Used: XT hubs w Mavic rims, WTB Trail wheels.
mcmahon38   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2010]
Strength:

Bombproof

Fulcrums rule- I weigh at ton and they never need attention.There Racing 1 road wheels are as bulletproof as well. Campy engineering and great design.

onegymrat   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2009]
Strength:

Very stiff rims and the 20mm axle responds well, great looking with the 24 bladed spokes, still true after a year of abuse.

Could be a bit lighter, engagement is merely okay.

I loved my Crossmax STs, they were light (1670g) but hub engagement was terrible, sold them. Went to a custom pair of Stan's Olympics with CK for racing. Super light at 1500g but a bit flexy for the rough stuff and found out I suck at racing. Got these RM1 for a steal from CRC. No flex at all, especially with tough, techy climbs, super true, bomb proof in the chunky stuff. However, with the steel spokes (I think they have aluminum version now) a bit heavier than I want (1727g) and the engagement is nowhere near what the CK can do. If you can find them at around $500, a great deal for a tough set of trail riding wheels with little maintenance.