Extralite UltraDisc Wheelset

Extralite UltraDisc Wheelset

• Hubs: Extralite UltraHubs SPD
  • Spokes: straight putt black bladed,double butted 28+28
  • Rims: W24mm x h17mm, eyelet, offset "disc-only"
  • Graphics: laser etched

[Jun 27, 2008]
Andrew

Strength:

Light

Poor quality bearings, dangerous freewheel ratchet system, soft metal freewheel body, not servicable.

Bearings in front wheel have failed twice now. Not servicable and had to be shipped back to the factory in Italy at my cost. No explination of problem given and bearings still feel gritty.

Freewheel (ratchet system) is a complete joke. The 3 teeth within the freewheel were held in place by a very thin rubber band. It's obvious this was going to fail. Also I kept getting a banging noise from the freewheel. I also complained about the softness of the metal where the block is slotted on.

When I sent both wheels back to the Factory in Italy. When returned there was little improvement in the front bearings and the complete freewheel ratchet system was replaced.

I immediately opened up the freewheel to find out what and why it was replaced and why it's now so incredibly noise. The have replaced the rubber band for some flimsy springs. My suspicion is they wont last long. After about 3 months use the feewheel started to freeze up and while downhilling the chain was being dragged forward between the frame and the rotating wheel. First time I realised I was doing about 50km/hr. That could have been very nasty.

Bottom line...a poorly quality, very expensive pair of wheels

Mavic Crossmax, Custom built Hope/Mavic.

OVERALL
[Oct 26, 2007]
John Nobile

Strength:

Very light and strong enough (spoke, hub, & rim-wise) wheelset. The frontwheel is about the lightest available, and has survived thousands of miles of hard & fast x-country racing.

The freewheel failed after only about 500 miles of racing. It jammed in the engaged mode, so at least I could keep going and get to where I could order another wheel (I was way out in the middle of nowhere when it happened). The freewheel apparently has ony one cartridge bearing in it rather than two, so from an engineering standpoint, I don't see how you could ensure proper alignment of the freewheel with only one central support point. Not sure if this had anything to do with the failure. The manufacturer repaired the freewheel & hub under warrantee, but would not explain to me why it failed, nor comment on the single-bearing design. Also, the cassette was a looser than usual fit, and the threads for the cassette retaining nut (cog) were abnormally tight.

These wheels are very light, reasonably strong, and also aero, and are therefore very fast, but I can not trust them again for another ultra-endurance race because of the premature freewheel failure. But I will still use them for the relatively short NORBA x-country races and recreational rides. I am 146 lbs, so keep this in mind regarding my assessment that they are "strong enough" (although much of the racing was done with an extra 15 lbs of gear on the bike).

XT, XTR, DT Swiss, Mavic