Enve Composites 29 All-Mountain Carbon Wheelset

29 All-Mountain Carbon

If you think riding carbon rims on a long-travel bike is crazy, take a spin on Enve's All-Mountain Carbon Wheels and think again! These amazing hoops...

2TurnersNotEnough   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2012]
Strength:

USA manufactured, light, strong, laterally stiff, confidence inspiring, they feel like they're indestructible. Wide rims make for large tire volumes.

Expensive. Internal nipples make truing a little more difficult.

I have a set of the older (Edge labeled), non-tubeless 32 spoke wheels built with DT Swiss 240s hubs with the 20mm front axle built by ENVE. The wheels have been ridden on terrain like Gooseberry Mesa and Mammoth and have not given me any problems and allowed me to focus on the trail without worrying if my wheels are not up to the job. Lateral stiffness is at least as good as my Industry 9 Enduro wheels with Stan's Flow rims, while being lighter, and I suspect stronger.

Weight for wheels with rim strips are 790g for the front and 890g for the rear wheel for a 1680g total weight.

The AM wheels are not the lightest thing out there, but are light for their intended use. I would recommend them to anyone that is looking for a near-indestructible 29er wheel for all but the most demanding riding.

The tradeoffs are the expense, and weight (relative to wheels that are truly light weight) The only reason I see myself ever getting rid of these is to get the tubeless version.