EDGE Twenty9 XC Wheelset

• Depth: 32mm
  • Width: 24mm
  • Hole Count: 28 or 32

skiahh   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2012]
Strength:

Stiff, light, stiff, strong

Expensive

Bought mine from Project 321 with their hubs (Lefty front) and these wheels are great! Unlike a previous poster, they hold air just fine with just a bit of time. Initial fill lasted about 24 hours but now they'll hold pressure for several days without being touched. They are built with the Enve strips and valve and filled with Stan's sealant. Tires are Maxxis Ignitors, the weak link in the tubeless setup.

Mounted on my Mach 429, these add more stiffness to an extremely laterally stiff bike and feel like a turbocharger going uphill. One drawback is at the top of one steep climb, I have to pull the front end up over a waterbar and the first time I did that, I almost pulled the front over my head they're so much lighter than my original wheels.

These roll over everything and go where you aim them, period. They're a great upgrade for a "want", but they don't offer a true bang for the buck since they're so expensive. I bought them for the stiffness... the bonus was shaving 2# off my bike.

Project 321 is an amazing company with some of the best customer service I've ever encountered. They have hubs for standard forks (w/ QR, 15 and 20mm thru axle) and Lefty. Their rear hubs use I9 innards and have great anodizing.

If you can afford these free and clear - without sacrificing food or whatever, get them. If not, save your pennies for a set in the future. I suspect the price will come down over the years.

crashing316   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2012]
Strength:

Very stiff and fairly light. DT Swiss hubs always run smooth.

Will not hold air when run tubeless. Poor customer service.

Enve claims they can be run tubeless. This product still has flaws. While the rims are stiff and fairly light they are very difficult to run tubeless. The only way to do this is by using a Stans 29er valve/strip combo. If you use the Enve supplied valve and rim strip the wheels only hold air for a few hours. Barely the length of a long ride. The wheel was sent back to Enve several times for evaluation only to be told that it "looks ok" Wheel was returned twice and still does not hold air. The local bike shop tried several tires and several valves. Rim was re-taped with Enve supplied rim tape several times. No success.

I heard a lot about these wheels but so far I'm very dissappointed. I wouldn't recomend this product. They are way too expensive and customer service is poor.

Similar Products Used: American Classic 29er, Mavic Crossmax, Stan's 29er Race.
customfab   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

Strong and amazingly stiff wheels at a very good weight.

not for the light of wallet, ride quality gets a little harsh after 2.5 hours plus in the saddle.

These wheels are a game changing piece of equipment. They redefine what I thought what a stiff wheel is. I find myself riding more aggressive with these wheels because I know the wheels isn't going to deflect or bounce out of the way. After 2 plus years of full time use I have yet to true them and have definitely tagged them into a handful of rocks with zero sign of damage.