Easton XC One Wheelset

• Twin Thread Technology
  • V-Max sealed cartridge bearings
  • Six-bolt international disc standard

jayy   Cross Country Rider [Apr 09, 2013]
Strength:

Rolls smoothly, light weight

Not very stiff, Always untrue and broke spokes twice a season.

I purchased those wheel to be able to switch to disc brake, I had some old cane creek wam team with titanium spokes and I can say those were lighter and stiffer however they didn't allow me to use disc brake. I weight about 200 lbs and I used them for xc only, and I can't even count the number of time I had to get them trued, I also broke spokes twice last season.

Now I switched to xtr wheel and I can say those are realy nice wheels, same stiffness as my old cane creek and they can take disc brake. Plus they can be used tubeless and are lighter than both of my old wheelset.

Similar Products Used: cane creek wam team and xtr wh-m975
TC Sydney   [Jan 05, 2013]
Strength:

Strong and great price if at the right place at the right time

Bearings don't seem to last as long as others

As mentioned these are solid wheels.. I'm 95 kg (bit over 200 lbs for you imperialists) and these wheels are straight after more than 1000 km of both single track and fire trails with some fairly hard knocks and drops in the mix...I have not touched these wheels and as a result is bearings that are tight and rough..( yet to be replaed)..Do some regular maintainance, perhaps at the 500 km mark and these will be a great investment

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss XR1450... not as solid but never a problem and still havent serviced them....HMMMMM
ffighteremtp   All Mountain Rider [Oct 10, 2012]
Strength:

Super lightweight and durable. Have over 300 miles and still true like the day I put them on. The hubs roll for days and have very little resistance. I did maintenance on the rear hub every 200 miles of dirty trail riding and found no issues ever.

They do not come in 650b

I was very skeptical about these wheels with all of the good and bad reviews in the past. I read between the lines of what was true failure on the part of Easton and that of riders who likely didn't do any maintenance. The price was too good to take a chance at having a high performance wheelset for a fraction of what they should cost. Maybe I just got lucky and received a rare perfect set. Either way I have simply beat the crap out of these wheels considering what they are designed for. For an XC wheel to perform like a champ in an all mountain format at 1600 grams is simply awesome! If you want a solid set of wheels for a great price and take good care of your gear these should do the trick.

Similar Products Used: WTB Speed Disc
Forte Loco
Bail_Monkey   [Apr 17, 2012]
Strength:

Lightweight, stays true (for me at 170lbs, cross country riding), easy to mount tires, cosmetics look pretty clean.

The hub design is really bad with a ring tightener that does not stay in place which causes a loose/wobbly wheel. How can you ride with a loose wheel/rim? Mtb'ing is tough enough when your bike is setup and riding perfectly with all of the obstacles... Lateral stiffness may be an issue for some.

These rims are pretty good out of the box, lightweight and fast rolling. But (and that is a huge but), the rim starts to wobble or has play from side to side after a short while. You can fix this with a tightening ring on one side of the hub. This will fix it for a hour or two, but then the ring will move and the hub will be loose again. The rim seems fairly stiff, but you can push on the tire and feel the flex on the front, the back is better.

I've had these for about 2 years and the front hub completely froze on a ride. The internal bearings are pretty much gone. I'm not sure rebuilding these are worth it, due to the constatnt checking on a ride and the amount of time spent taking the wheel off and adjusting the stupid adjustment ring. The Easton engineering team laid an egg with this one. They should have done way more R&D testing before releasing this product, b/c it was going to get negative reviews once those that purchased it found out about the overall quality.

samvaltenbergs   All Mountain Rider [Mar 01, 2012]
Strength:

Great looking hubs, excellent rolling, minimalist design

Poor quality control, decals could do with some work, Easton customer support is ridiculous

I picked these wheels up on sale when I was building a commuter/trail bike. They look great and are lightweight enough to be great for a commuter and solid enough for an XC bike. I've had two spokes snap in three months and I haven't even ridden off road yet! The wheels have a one year warranty, but Easton wants you to send the whole wheel back - they won't pay for postage - to replace a single spoke rather than have an authorized local shop take care of it. I commute to work on my bike, so every day I don't ride costs me $20. Easton wouldn't even consider reimbursing me for the cost of replacing the spoke at the local store. The wheels will serve their purpose but I won't be buying Easton again after this experience with their customer service.

Similar Products Used: Sun/Ringle SUV, Fulcrum Red Metal One
roatarygiant75   Weekend Warrior [Nov 21, 2011]
Strength:

tough wheels, very little truing required

none found yet

This spring I upgraded all of the stock components on my Giant Rincon that I paid $600 for in 2007 and was hesitant to pay more for a handful of components than I did for the entire bike originally, but after a year of more riding than any of my previous years, I'm very glad I did. I've banged around on these wheels all year. The front wheel still hasn't required truing and the back has only needed it once. I don't race, and I don't downhill, but I rode this bike on some trails in Prescott, AZ this summer where there were lots of rock drops as well as my local trails in Tennessee, and I have no complaints.
In case you didn't know, you'll need presta valve tubes (and an adapter for a standard bike pump), but the presta valves are easy to deal with.

Similar Products Used: n/a
PauloC   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth, fast, silent, lightweight.

The decals aren't great - they make the the rims look like they've been scratched.

Awesome wheels that just keep rolling. Felt a huge difference after putting these wheels on my bike - accelerates like a bat out of hell now :)

Was a bit worried about the strength of the wheels based on reviews I've read online, but so far I've had a few good knocks and no issues to report on.

Similar Products Used: WTB Speed Discs
Svard75   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2010]
Strength:

Light weight, fast adjustable hubs, rear hub prawls hook up well and no issues.

The adjustable hubs need to be checked after every few rides because it unwinds and this could cause premature wear and failure like many previous reviewers experienced. Can run tubeless using Stan's Notubes kit.

The wheelset has proven to be somewhat reliable (I weigh 200lbs). Have had to tru and tighten the wheels once in 1 year and I ride allot (Avg 4 days/wk). Replaced the rear cassette and found that the 4 smaller cogs had worn notches into the rear hub so it was a challenge to remove them. No issues servicing the hubs and the +/- adjustment wheel needs to be closely monitored. Use the wiggle rule if it wiggles tighten the hub adjustment wheel to the + very lightly until it doesn't wiggle anymore. Then spin the wheel and test that it's not too tight and won't spin. The prawls in the hub body seem to be much more reliable than my previous Mavic SLR's but they don't look as pretty.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossride, Maxic SLR's, Alexrims 19
precipitevolissimevolment   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2010]
Strength:

Smooth and fast. Need I say more?

none so far

These wheels are by far the best bang for your buck on the market at $300. With stan's no tubes (or any other tubeless kit) you can get a sweet tubeless setup without having to pay big bucks for the mostly heavier UST wheels. Unless your hand's in your daddy's pocket or your a sponsored pro, don't worry about all this UST compatible hype.