Easton EC90 XC 29er Wheelset

EC90 XC 29er

Easton EC90 XC 29er MTB Wheel is the absolute top of the range Cross Country wheel on the market today. The lightest design out there and thanks to it's military-spec carbon composite, also one of the toughest carbon wheels you can buy. Fully UST compatib

CactusJackSlade   Racer [Jun 27, 2015]
Strength:

Stiff, light, smooth. All spokes are the same - nice for possible repairs.

Price - on the expensive side...

This is my first set of carbon wheels (road or mountain) and have held up very well. These have so far been "bomb proof" but I'm a pretty light rider. I have a buddy who is 180# and his are holding up very good as well. Good for racing or everyday use... I do both.

Similar Products Used: Stans Gold Race
Tom   Racer [Jan 14, 2015]
Strength:

light weight

These wheels are flimsy. I owned a set for less than 5 months before the rear wheel cracked.

These wheels are not worth the money..and Easton not only falsely advertises that these are not just "race day wheels" and that they will stand up to years of abuse. This is not true in my experience with them. DO NOT BUY this product. Easton will not stand by what they advertise nor will they honor their warranties. I cannot do business with an organization like that.

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Sep 15, 2014]
Strength:

~ Insanely light, 29er wheels(@1447g)
~ Stiff, with buttery trail compliance
~ Above average hub engagement
~ Internals easy to service
~ High resale value

~ OMFG per-wheel pricing
~ 19mm internal rim width

I waited nearly TWO YEARS, before I was able to find a set under $1000/used. This 29er wheelset is truly the Holy Grail of XC/Trail rolling stock. The ABS carbon is tough Iike an AM wheelset, but spins-up like a Carbon Tubular TdF road wheel. Lean it hard on turns and it still shows zero deflection. I previously came from Easton Haven AM 29er wheels(1758g) and the nearly one pound drop in rotating weight was felt, the second my quads lurched the cranks forward.

I have tried ALL uber-light 29er wheels and this puppy offers the best bang, for my body weight(175lbs/79kg) and riding style(XC/Trail). Forget compromising weight loss, via scary weak brakes, sketchy-thin tires and minimalist, ass-hatchet saddles; the WHEELS is the ticket, hands-down.

Save your pennies, kids....

Similar Products Used: ~ Enve Twenty9 XC/DT-240s
~ Derby 29" x 35mm Carbon/I9 Torch
~ Light-Bicycle Beadless Carbon 29 XC/Novatec D-772SB/D-342SB-12
~ Velocity Blunt 29 SL/Chris King ISO
colnago888   Cross Country Rider [Feb 17, 2014]
Strength:

Light, simple spoke design, easy access to spare parts and very strong rim design.

Limited to 29ers, therefore high volume, low pressure use only.

I purchased this wheel set as I wanted a second set of wheels for my cyclocross bike. I have the Stan's Iron Cross Pro set up tubeless with Clement PDX 700x33 clinchers for the cross-specific trails and decided to mount the Clement LAS (diamond pattern tread) on the Easton EC90 XC 29er for on-road/pavement use. At first, I was concerned with rolling resistance on 700x33 Clement LAS at 50 PSI (maximum recommended by Easton Tech), but at 50 PSI, the tires held up well even riding with the roadies in my club. At this time, I'm not sure how a long-distance ride with guys running 120 PSI on their 700x23s would go, but so far I was pleasantly surprised after a 60-mile ride on the Easton EC90 XC 29er.

The wider tires 700x33 at 50 PSI smooth out the road bumps and I don't feel beaten up after a 3-5 hour ride. The real test will be a 65-mile gravel Fondo in June and I should have a long-term review at that time. Those of you who ride mostly on-road on your cross bike may find these wheels plenty stiff. The taller rim profile compared to the Stan's Iron Cross does create challenges on side winds, but not enough to warrant a negative review since these wheels were designed for off-road use.

I would think that the up-and-comer Stan's ZTR Valor wheels may take some of the market, but Easton has been marketing their carbon wheels for many years.

Similar Products Used: Stan's Iron Cross Pro, Mavic R-Sys SLR, Mavic R-Sys SL, Campagnolo Eurus 2-Way.
paul   [Dec 01, 2013]
Strength:

ten out of ten for looks and great ride

rear hub and bearing totally under engineered expect to have to replace bearings after every 10 rides. I agree with other reviews Easton claim these are not just a race day wheel only but believe me they are and need to be rapped in cotton wool permanently

there are much better wheels for a lot less

richiepolis   Cross Country Rider [Nov 22, 2013]
Strength:

Light

Rear wheel cracked in half on my way to a race while it was on the bike rack. Rode these for about 14 months. Only ride this bike about twice a week. Easton will not warr because I bought them new on ebay from a unauthorized dealer.

They say their strong, but I have 3 times the miles on some Stans Arch with no issues.

Ruben Valouer   All Mountain Rider [May 22, 2012]
Strength:

Light, stiff (considering so light and a 29er), look cool, they spin up fast

Soo bloody expensive - that is about it

Well after the monster purchase of my tricked out full XTR Santa Cruze Tall Boy Carbon last August - I thought, 'go all in' and buy the lightest, strongest, toughest wheels that I could find. Easton carbons fit the bill perfectly. I am 165lbs, mostly race and ride all mountain/XC, no monster drops - getting too old for that - just ride a lot and hammer up and down. I generally run mid to low 20's for air pressure. These are my everyday and race wheels.

These wheels now have tons and tons of miles on single track. Not flat wimpy stuff; I live in Calgary, Alberta and we ride in the Rockies & we ride hard. Besides adjusting the ceramic bearings - so easy BTW - they are as straight and true as the day I bought them - incredible! I love how quiet the rear hub is, it engages quick and is bomb proof.

Mounting tires - My tires of choice lately, due to the mud, are TL Ready Schwalbe Nobby Nicks (2.25), they come on and off pretty easy, just make sure the bead sits in the center of the wheel and you start opposite the air valve. In order to seat the beads I install a tube, pump it up, till the beads seat, then I break the bead from one side only, remove the tube, re-install the tire, almost fully, dump in 2 caps of Stans sealant, and then pump it up using my low volume (road bike) pump - easy! I also have a set of Maxis Ardent UST tires, they go on without the tube trick. They simply air up with my road bike pump - sweet!

The ride is great, you really, really notice the lighter weight, especially considering that 29er's carry extra fat, I think they spin up as fast as my 26er's, and when they are rolling, they eat 26er's. Stiff, yup, I do not notice any flex, but then again I am not doing any side by side comparisons, but if they flex at all, I notice nothing!

So, without hesitation, if you have some money to burn, buy these, you will not be disappointed. Bombproof, yup, some of the crap I put them through should have at least made them out of true, but they said no, we stay true! Enjoy!

Similar Products Used: 1st set of carbon wheels I have evver owned. Other makes owned - Mavic's, Easton's, Sun, Fulcrum
argibson   Cross Country Rider [Mar 09, 2012]
Strength:

Light, fairly rigid considering weight, good engagement.

I am 175lbs and ride a f/s on xc trails...and the rear rim bead cracked despite using a 2.1 ignitor with 35lbs pressure. I only had them 60 days. Easton descibes on their website and marketing materials that these are "able to withstand seasons of abuse on rough trails" due to the impact resistant military grade armored balistic carbon. They are super expensive and Easton really markets them as bombproof...they are NOT. Upon return they would not honor the warranty and claimed crash damage. BS. I will not buy Easton again and do not recommend these wheels. On carbon rovals now. Have also heard good things about the enve wheels too.

Also, bearings needed adjustment within 250 miles of use in the first two months.

Would not buy again. Easton overhyped this product and didnt stand behind its claims. Buyer beware...its an expensive gamble.