DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline One 27.5 Wheelset

XM 1501 Spline One 27.5

The new XM 1501 SPLINE ONE model in a number of additional widths to really meet the demands of every type of rider and riding style. The 22,5 mm and 25 mm wide rims of the new XM 1501 SPLINE ONE line-up are precise in handling and the perfect combination of light weight and reliability.

Available Models:

• XM 1501 SPLINE® ONE 27.5 / 22.5 MM
  • XM 1501 SPLINE® ONE

chris frolich   All Mountain Rider [Jun 26, 2016]

Looks: The DT wheels have a understated style. If you like your wheels bright and shiny (anodized purple?) , you will be disappointed . The DT Splines are mostly black with subtle graphics and excellent black anodizing. The hubs are downright petite compared to many high end wheel sets but the direct pull spokes are plenty strong and translate to a surprisingly laterally rigid wheel.
Performance: I have only had limited experience with wider rims, but I am a convert. I am blown away by the compliant, gripper, comfier ride. The multiple wide rims I have tried left me disappointed by flimsy tracking. DT Splines have 28 spokes, but have no problem supporting my Clydesdale frame. I have about 75 abusive, rocky miles on the wheels now. I threw them on the stand, I assumed they were overdue for a true. They still spun perfectly, leaving me with more time to drink beer.
I’m 250 lbs and settled on 25 psi in the rear tire and 21 psi in the front (from 29/27). I ran a Magic Mary front and Specialized Slaughter rear. I experimented with as low as 19 psi in the front but the front tire washed out on turns. Both tires were the reinforced sidewall variety, both just under a kilogram. The softer tires conform to the little undulations in the trail and leave the suspension high in its travel to deal with the real hits. It sounds cliché, but it really feels like an extra inch of travel.
I have no way of empirically knowing if the offset spoke holes or proprietary alloy blend translate into improved performance. I trust that DT’s engineers asked these questions. Subjectively, the ride is supportive, direct, comfortable and grippy. I like that DT offers a high end wheel in aluminum. These wheels are very close to far pricier carbon wheels in their ability to track and resist lateral bending. I have broken a number of frames (just riding along) and don’t really trust myself with carbon wheels. The DT 240 hubs are and industry leader, they have a reputation of outlasting other fancier hubs.
I can not emphasize how much an improvement they made over my more expensive 24mm internal width rims. I had these same wheels trued by a professional mechanic (of far greater skill than I) prior to the comparison.

Drawbacks: Does going faster and spinning out a 30 tooth front chainring count as a drawback? Initially the rear hub provided mild resistance and made a loud industrial sounding click/grind. One hour into the first ride that grind disappeared. Some say they don’t have enough points of engagement. I didn’t find that to be an issue. The wider rims and softer pressure do feel slower on truly hard-packed fire roads (think baked mud/clay or packed out roads.) However this type of road only makes up 2% of most of my rides. I will gladly trade this minor slowdown for descending bliss!

Overall: Amazing quality Swiss precision, durability, and wide-rimmed grip.

If you haven’t ridden wider rims I must highly recommend them. If you are looking for a set of wider rims, I recommend the DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline ONE 30 mm.

Similar Products Used: Reynolds AM, Mavic Crossmax xl, Enve M60 (low volume), Specialized Roval Carbon 30 mm, Ibis, Derby