DT Swiss FR 2350 Wheelset

The wheelset is made of solid freeride rim and the top end hub with stainless steel ball bearings.

Josh WOod   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2010]

I'm fairly sure I'm breaking a rule with this because I havent used the rim but in case your reading these reviews it should be known that the 2006 one was really soft but recently theyve changed the alloy and ive read that its heaps stronger so I would only listen to reviews that are more recent than older

t.martin   Racer [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, precise hub, stiff in the corners and soft on the rocks, just like every race wheelset should be

Maintenence is not for the average Joe. These rims are soft, very soft in fact. Difficult to get tire on and off and have to keep a close eye on spoke tension.

I have had one set last me a whole season of professional abuse. Let it be noted I put considerable dents in the rear in the first month. However, it remained straight and held the tire bead just fine. With DH tubes at +/- 20 psi, I did not flat once. A critical quality when you only get one race run! I'll be replacing the dented rims with new of the same for next year. I would recomend these wheels to a free rider/weekend warrior only if they're running more than 28 psi on average or a dedicated racer looking for the best rim on the market. Just let it be known, these wheels were designed to dent.

Ahren   Downhiller [Jun 13, 2007]
Strength:

Light, Looks dead sexy, Great hubs.

Rims are a little soft. They are expensive.

These wheels are pretty sweet. They accelerate fast and are very stiff in the corners. I have had some dents in the rim, but they saved me from pinch flatting. Ok. So if you are a smooth racer who needs that kind of pinch protection at any cost then these wheels are for you. If you are a "pin it" at all times person who runs low tire pressure and ride anywhere where rock gardens are a constant threat, then you might want a stronger rim. But I can't complain on the build quality. This is a top notch wheel for the smooth as silk rider, who can flow over rocks like water.

Similar Products Used: Deemax, Industry 9, Bombshell
Uncle Ric   Downhiller [Jun 09, 2007]
Strength:

Looks cool, hubs and service from the company - they have been replaced twice, no quetions asked.

Rims are very soft! I have had to warrenty them twice. They dent very easily! For the large price tag and the DT swiss name I expected higher quality, especially since they are marketed as Freeride/Race wheels and are used by some very respected pros.

I am getting rid of the this wheelset and going to try something else marketed as "bombproof" Maybe Bombshell or Deemax. Read all the reviews on the DT swiss 6.1 rims and they all sound a lot like what I have experienced with the FR 2350. The bottom line.... Light weight = less durable, in most cases. There are cheaper and tougher wheels on the market.

Similar Products Used: Alex and Mavic without any problems.
Ryan   Racer [Sep 03, 2006]
Strength:

Very, very light. Very, very red. Coming off of a year using Hadley hubs with Sun Ringle' rims, I can honestly say these wheels seem to spin faster. There seems to be next to no rolling resistance. It was quite a strange experience bombing the same trails as the increase in speed was VERY noticable. The wheelset seems to be built very well.

The rims.... They dent like mad when you take a rim shot. After half a day running Maxxis Minion DH's at 18-20 psi, both rims had a large dent in them and I wasn't pushing it. I never flatted, but will now have to most likely run higher psi to prevent this from happening and sacrifice some traction.

The full retail price on this wheelset is a bit ridiculous. Fortunately I found a pair for under $700 with free shipping so I thought I'd give them a shot. Like I mentioned, these wheels feel A LOT faster than the setup I've had on this bike for the past season. The original wheelset continually went out of true, but never dented. Whereas even with 2 rim shots, the wheelset is still straight but there is noticeable damage to the rims. I can't say this came as a surprise as I know a lot of DH racers use the 6.1D's because they do dent and thus don't pinch flat as often-a feeling that is nice to have in the back of your mind during a race. The buyer needs to figure out if they want a fast wheelset or a wheelset that is more durable without having to replace the rims and pay for a rebuild frequently.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 5.1D with King Hubs on my Super D bike. Absolutely no problem with the 5.1's even after a season of racing Super D and general riding-still straight as an arrow.