Dave's Wheels Speed Dream Wheelset

Speed Dream Wheel Set

[Apr 26, 2017]
Scott brown
Downhiller

Strength:

Rims are perfectly true after 5 years.

I had my wheels made after I bent the ones that came stock. I ride all mountain and downhill and after 5 years of bike park runs and hundreds of trail rides they are still perfectly true. Have not even had to tighten a spoke. That's why I had to write this review. It really is amazing.

[Jun 30, 2016]
Troy Edler
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Workmanship, customer service, product knowledge

none that I know

Dave was a professional from my first phone call. Dave went over all my option and suggested the best setup for me, my bike, and my style of riding. Wheels have been perfect since. Dave went above and beyond the norm when I damaged a wheel on vacation that he had just built for me. It was no fault of Dave's build. My tire burped off the rim and I folded the rim over on a rock. He had me back in the saddle within 24 hours. The level of service Dave provides in unmatched. I will be a repeat customer.

[Jun 21, 2016]
dgw7000

Strength:

He listens to you!! Wheel just stay true all the time.

Dave is the best, he does the little things that take extra time and we the riders benefit from his expertise. Build time is fast and his packing bombproof!! Other's may be good but Dave's the BEST!!

[Jul 30, 2015]
BikerDude1

Strength:

High quality build
Knowledgeable
Honest
Fast

Folks. Dave is the real deal.

After teling Dave about my riding style, terrain, weight, and what I'm looking for in a wheelset, I took his recommendation and ordered a wheelset (I9 torch hubs, Stan's Crest rims). I received the wheels within one week of Dave receiving my check. The wheels were fantastic. Totally changed the feel of the bike (Santa Cruz Tallboy C). Timed myself on my local trail and cut off 8 min and 30 sec com my previous personal best of 1 hr 28 min.

Here's the thing about Dave. Three weeks later, I had a problem with my front rim. Let me emphasize. It was not Dave's fault. I sent him back the wheel, he called me on Sunday afternoon (where do you get this level of service nowadays), and we spoke for about 30 min about next steps and other things like ideal tire pressure, wheel maintenance, etc. For a very reasonable fee (again I stress that it was not Dave's fact at all), Dave promptly rebuilt the wheel with a new rim and I received in a few days.

I can't recommend Dave enough and will certainly be going to him for my next set of wheels.

[Jun 03, 2015]
onlyontwo
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

- Customization
- Knowledge
- Offerings
- Honest input
- Customer Service

Zero, zilch.

I contacted Dave about building me two wheelsets a little over a year ago. I had heard that he was the guy to talk to for hand-built wheels that ride great and are as light as they can reasonably be. I worked in the bike industry, so I sent two sets of King hubs and two sets of Stan's rims to him to build. After speaking with him on the phone a few times, he recommended that I go with Arch EX's vs. the Flow EX's I had shipped to him. He swapped my Flows (which I didn't buy from him) for Arches. He didn't need to do that, and he did it anyways. I have ridden the snot out of the two pairs, and save one bent spoke from a stray stick (not his issue at all), they have been flawless. This is despite my repeated sideways jump landings and general tomfoolery aboard my bike. I'm looking at getting another set built, and Dave will be my go-to.

If you are looking to have some wheels built, or have specific needs (heavy, aggressive, light, etc.), give Dave a call. Believe what everyone says, this guy is the real deal.

Cheers,
-A

Stan's built wheels, other hand-built wheels, DT Swiss M series.

[May 27, 2015]
kalroot
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great wheels. Unbeatable customer service.

Phone only contact.

I got some I9 torch hubs with Velocity Blunt rims built by Dave about 1.5yrs ago. They have been great. The process of working with him, time to completion, value, customization, and actual build of the wheels were all as great as everyone here says. What is worth expanding on, however, was that I contacted him recently d/t a broken spoke. I just wanted to get his diagnosis of my problem, but he had me bring him the wheel (I live about 45min from him but do not know him personally) and he said he'd have a look at it. He took the wheel, corrected the errors in spoke selection and tension by my LBS, put in new spokes for the ones that were damaged, gave me 4 back up spokes, topped me off w/ Stans, fixed a problem w/ my valve, trued the wheel, and resealed the tubeless tire. ALL FREE OF CHARGE. Freaking blew my mind. And, mind you, the broken spokes were likely due to my having dropped my chain to the wheel side and scratched the spokes => my fault => not a problem with the build he did. Believe the hype of the 4.94 rating. I told him he's got a customer for life. To top it off, he gave me a very honest (and positive) review of the cheap carbon rims (I asked about LB) and is willing to do builds using them. When I decide to pull the trigger on my next wheelset, I won't consider anyone else.

[Feb 23, 2015]
Itripper

Strength:

True, strong, and cool looking

They gonna cost you!

Dave built me my wheels in 2003. I told him I wanted them to be strong. Well he built me very strong wheels that are light too. At the time I was 200lbs and rough on my mountain bike so I needed bulletproof. Well here it is 2015 now, I have ridden this bike in many different countries and I now weigh 260lbs! In all these years these wheels never needed truing, and I only thought about them recently as finally 1 spoke broke 12 years later! Wheel stayed true, just replaced spoke and it is GTG. The wheels I had built were early tubeless (no flats in 12 years with stans) and has purple King hubs with purple nipples that look so cool. While at the time I thought the wheel were too expensive, considering how many junk wheels my other bikes have gone through since then these turned out to be the cheapest over time.

[Jan 28, 2015]
GNfanatic
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Craftsmanship
Service
Performance
Never, ever had an issue after 6 years. Both wheels still true!

Waiting for the delivery

Dave built me a set of wheels (CK hubs) 6 years ago for my Turner Burner. We spoke on the phone and he asked me several questions pertaining to my weight, riding style etc etc. Very nice guy, incredible patience (I asked alot of questions as well) and they were completed the date he said they would be. 6 years later I am still riding the same wheels, I never had to get them trued. I did alot of good riding and while everything else was causing me headaches, these wheels were dead balls reliable. My new 29er will need a wheelset soon and there is only one person I am calling.

[Sep 28, 2014]
Matt

Strength:

29er Nox carbon wheels with I9 torch hubs. Rock solid hookup, light weight yet rated for 240lb rider, sealed hubs, great tubeless setup, Bling!!!!!!

These wheels are awesome. Dave helped with how they should be set up and saved me a few bucks by not running high end spokes. I was originally looking at the Stan's Crest wheels but they are rated for a 190 lb rider. I'm around 200 lbs. The Crest are also known to flex. The Nox wheels were a pretty penny more but well worth it. Stiff in the corners yet light. Roughly the same weight as the Crest. Tubeless setup was easy.

[Sep 23, 2014]
S. Wilding

Strength:

Hand built by a guy who knows what he's doing.

Not a fan of talking on the phone, but I'd say every moment talking to Dave was worth it.

I found Dave by way of the MTBR review section. Luckily I live within driving distance of where he operates, so I decided to look into it. After talking to him on the phone, I had no doubt that I'd be getting a great deal. There was never an attempt to upsell something and, in fact, he even talked me down on a few items explaining the extra cost didn't accomplish anything for my style of riding.
But the proof is the riding. Right? My 29 inch wheels (on a hardtail) have been the greatest thing I've experienced on a bike. When you live in the 200+ pound world, wheels are everything. I've never doubted these wheels for a second and I haven't been altogether nice to them over the past 14 months either. They are true and solid to this day.

You won't get a better wheel anywhere I've ever seen.