Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 Wheelset

Cobalt 2

Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 Disc Wheelset: Affordable alternative to the original Cobalt, with no sacrifice in stiffness, durability or style. 19mm ID (23.6mm OD) welded, anodized 6061-T6 aluminum rim with machined "Y" ribbed cross-section...

mark   Cross Country Rider [Apr 04, 2016]
Strength:

Light, strong, reliable, maintenance free

Well I'm 52 and 16 stone wet thru and I've loved every minute of these wheels, which I found to be both light & strong. For the life of me I can't understand Paul Farrimund's negative comments. I've had my wheels for over 3 years and they're as straight and true as the day I bought them. Never been serviced or trued and the bearings are like new.

I've recently moved from 26" to 29" and been selling off the old stuff. The last item off my 26er I put up for sale is this wheelset coz on a subconscious level I just didn't want to sell them. Over the years I've owned loads of expensive but pucka gear but these wheels, I feel, have given me more performance improvement and greater pleasure than any other bike part I have owned - period.

For instance, these wheels are about 100g heavier than my ZTR Alpine/Stan's 3.30 wheelset but they have always always felt much lighter and faster. All my mates agreed on this. That's because of the really low wind resistance/drag as a result of the lower spoke count but also I think because the spokes are paired directly opposite each other so the wind whistles thru.

If I ever built a 26er again either as a HT or full sus I'd build it around a pair of these wheels. For me the only improvement to these wheels would be if you could buy them in stealth colour scheme, i.e completely black. I was always a bit paranoid about my bike being nicked with these on. I certainly got lots of admiring glances everywhere I rode them.

Similar Products Used: ZTR Alpine/Stan's 3.30 with DT Revolution spokes
paul farrimond   All Mountain Rider [Nov 07, 2015]
Strength:

looks nice

strength of rims? god sake dont ride on these if your on the plump side ?

just like to say am 12 stone wet thru` and 52 years old so these day i try and be a bit sensible ,not getting to much air and careful round the bends and stuff ,but these wheels wouldnt stand much abuse of my 82 year old mother ,my rear wheel has been in the LBS more than 6 times in the year i have had them for truing but the most annoying thing about them is the noise the rear wheel makes when i pedal ( tension of the spokes )
i contacted crank brothers(usa) with this problem who told me to contact the british distrubutors who i emailed on a couple of occasions who did not reply (in other words we have you money "so up yours")

Biohazard74   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2015]
Strength:

stiff, strong, fast

none so far

I have nothing but good things to say about these wheels. I am talking about the ones after the recall on the original hub. I ride a 2009 Giant Trance x and am 220 lbs geared up and not the smoothest rider. I have beat these wheels up and after over 3000 miles i just now have to get them trued "slightly". I know 2 other guys in my area (that use them to race) that have had nothing but good luck with them. I find it funny because the reviews on here are either great, or really bad. Makes you go hmmmm... These are XC wheels and if you are using them for anything else, that is on you not the wheel. I wrecked a front WTB Laser Disc wheel that came on my bike originally like nothing. Same trails with these and still going. And i will be honest i ride them like i'm riding all mountain. I do small jumps and small drops with them and again, still going. IMO if mine failed on me right now i would completely understand and definitely not blame the wheel. I now bought an Orbea Occam 29 and Crank Brothers Cobalts are goin on it as well. I "HAVE" had problems with other very well known preffered brands and honestly the Cobalts have outlasted them... I still like the other wheels as well but the Cobalts seem to be lasting much longer. Maybe me and the other guys that have them that i know just got lucky?

Similar Products Used: a few others
Shaun   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2015]
Strength:

Look great, roll really well, relatively light compared to stock wheels.

none so far other than perhaps reputation.

I noticed these wheels 2 years ago and stayed away because of all the pre 2013 - 2014 upgrades. Took the plunge a few months ago and they are the perfect match for my bike and my ability, Roll nicely, are strong went tubeless without any worries. If your jumping of the side of mountains then probably not a good choice but for XC riding.

brickwallmusic   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2014]
Strength:

Nice and Stiff
Great entry level tubeless
Sexy

Personally haven't experienced any yet.

I've heard and read from people complaining about these rims being weak and getting out of true. Personally, I haven't had any issues with them, and I haven't had any problems with the rear hub assembly exploding like I've heard. I've done thousands and thousands of cross country with them and never had any issues. They are a XC rim and should be treated as such. They have a very good weight to strength ratio for an XC rim.

I stress that they are an XC rim because people should remember they aren't made for nailing loads of rocks and doing big drops. I had them for 3 years before moving to BC where the terrain was a little more intense, and I put them through some more AM stress and the back rim has finally gone out of true, but only after pushing them past what they were designed for.

Keep riding XC with these and they'll last forever!

henrymiller1   [Oct 15, 2012]
Strength:

Nice and light. Looks pretty cool.

Clydes need not apply.

I just got these from a friend. He is 225 and every time he rode these, A spoke will loosen up and made rims wobble. I'm 175 and got rims from him and have had no issues. Rode a 35er and rims held up. I 'm nor sure how happy i'd be with these if i had paid $650. I contacted Crank Bro's and they asked to send in rims. I'm happy with wheelset, and most likely will not send them in. But good support from Crank Bro's. Hope this helps.

koby   [Jul 13, 2012]
Strength:

I am biking on those new wheels one month they looks great good balance good weight I will update again next month

not found yet

I am a rocks singles climber my weight is 82 kg

ccoogler   [Jun 05, 2012]
Strength:

Look great, low weight. You can fly up hills like they are not there.

Fragile

On my third ride on level ground on a turn it felt that the front wheel gave out on me and I went over the handle bars. Front wheel warped/tacoed. i sent it in through my local bike shop to send them to warranty service at Crank Bros. Crank Bros told me that these wheels are only intended for cross country racing for a rider weighing 175lbs. I weight 220lbs and they said that"it is common sense that I should not be using these wheels" although no where it is published what the recommended weight of the rider should be. Buyer beware!

runningwild   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2011]
Strength:

Rock solid, no issues what so ever

I was a bit hesitant to buy this wheel set from the poor reviews. After further research I found the hubs on the Cobalt 2 have a different manufacture. I got a great deal on line @ Bikeman and went with it. I have been riding this wheel set for 2 months without any issues. They perform excellent and look sweet. The customer service @ Crankbrothers is top notch. Mine where delivered without the rear skewer, Bikeman called Crankbrothers and I had an e-mail in about 3 hours telling me my skewers were on the way. I had a completely new skewer set in 2 days. Great product and customer service.