Cane Creek WAM Disc Wheelset

WAM Disc

• Spoke count: 28 front/28 rear
  • Spokes: double-butted stainless
  • Rim: box-section aluminum, 26"
  • Hub shell: 6061-T6 aluminum
  • Hub axle: CrMo steel (fr/rr)
  • Axle spacing: 100mm front/135mm rear
  • Rear cassette: Shimano 8/9 speed HG
  • Weight: Front 842g; Rear 1040g
  • Price: Front $320; Rear $430

• User Reviews (10)

peanutville   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2008]
    Strength:

Been using these wheels since 1999 with no problems (Almost 10 years!) No broken spokes, no bearing lubrication and will only require truing this season.

Have a tendency to destroy rims after a few seasons on cross country rides, however these have lasted very well. There light and do the job they were designed for. Would definitely purchase Cane Creek wheels again & have sent an email to to the company informing them of their great product & even received a reply!

Similar Products Used: I'm an old skool mountain biker, and gone thru many rims, RM20's, Specialised, Mavic etc
    Tyson   Cross Country Rider [Mar 25, 2006]
    Strength:

Super strong, fast, look trick. straight pull spokes, nipples at the hub for better rotational weight.

more difficult to adjust nipples at the hub rather than at the rim. Rear HUB. Stickers are a bit wussy and can peel off.

These wheels are amazing. I have ridden the crap out of them for over 2 years. They have been on many midwest rock rides with plenty of roots and small drops. Also a week long trip to moab where they were abused on multiple rides including 16 miles of porcupine rim with lots of rocks and 1-3 foot drops. The honest truth is I have never even touched a nipple for adjustment. As of today they do have a little wobble in both wheels but I am being picky and the only reason I noticed is because I gave them a spin and a real good look before this review. The one BAD thing I can say is the rear hub is a poor match for this weelset. It is nothing more than a shimano XT in disguise. the rear hub went out on me and after reading other review sites this has been a problem in the past. The freehub just simply wears out. The local shop said it is identical to an xt hub. Cost to repair was $42 so I cant complain. Wheels are also very stiff so if you run discs they have great lateral stiffness. I have also heard if you blow a spoke they will go way out of true due to the high spoke tension on the straight pull spokes.

Similar Products Used: multiple sets of mavic disc wheels.
    Eric   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2005]
    Strength:

They work. Nice looking. Smooth Spinning.

None, man.

These wheels are awesome. And look at the price I got them for. Be jealous. If you find a pair of these in an old Supergo store for $280, don't be stupid. Buy them. Even if you don't need them, buy them and resell them. Maybe it was a one-time fluke. I am pumped about the fact that I own them and paid less than I would have for a set of the new Terros. Everything everybody else said is true about them. Require a spacer for the frint rotor (supplied). Strong as could be. Spin smooth. Look great. Light weight. I weighed them in Supergo... I mean Performance... and with a security tag and owner's manual attached they came in at 1840. Who knows what they would have been without the extra baggage. Should have been smart enough to find out after I bought them and removed the other stuff. Oh well. If you find them, buy them.

Similar Products Used: Mavic X317 w/ Shimano XT disc hubs. Mavic 517 CD Ceramic w/ xtr non-disc hubs. Bontrager Select tubeless non-disc wheelset.
    Jim Sener   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2002]
    Strength:

light, strong, durable, true.

some flex when hitting rocks off tire center - rim hits brake pad

These wheels are now 5 seasons old - ancient I know. I elected to have rear wheel rebuilt by Can Creek and they turned it around quickly. Other than that I have NEVER needed to true these wheels. I ride in New England where it is roots, rocks etc. I raced them two seasons, I also ride them year 'round - snow and all. I HIGHLY recommend these wheels. Big bucks, but you do get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Spinergy
    ed   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2006]
    Strength:

Medium lite, ultra strong, never needs truing.

freehub pawls stripped out after 3 years

solid stiff wheels, cane creek has awesome service, they replaced my hubs for free.

CC stands behind their product.

Similar Products Used: mavic, shimano
    Stan Paoli   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2004]
    Strength:

Very Light, Strong and Very Cool looking.

Need spacer/adapter for front wheel rotor.

Love 'em!

Similar Products Used: Mavic x317 w/XT hubs
    Chris   [Apr 05, 2002]
    Strength:

Super strong, relatively light, they look really cool, Cane Creek has fantastic warranty service.

These wheels were great. I say were because some ^%$&$#*! broke into my garage and stole my bikes. I am not light at 210 pounds and not particularly graceful. I never trued them. I will probably buy another pair. I would recommend them to anyone. If you want something lighter, get the ti spoked ones.
    The price is worth it because Cane Creek has some skilled wheel builders putting these things together and they provide great customer service.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Coda disc wheels with Mavic rims
    Steve   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2003]
    Strength:

light, stiff, rolls well, just feels fast

none really, OK maybe they could use some better decals

These wheels have been great and are actually my second set of Cane Creeks. I traded in my non-disc WAMs for the disc version when I switched brakes. The old ones were good but these are even better. Maybe it's the extra spokes but they feel stiffer and seem to have more "jump" and less rolling resistance once up to speed. I've never had to do anything to them except normal maintenance when I've had my bike tuned. Even then, it's very minor touchup type stuff. The company and their customer service has been great - sent me some new O-rings for free, no questions asked, to keep the dust caps in place when they started to get loose. They're not cheap but neither is any other wheelset in this category and you get what you pay for. In short, buy this wheelset, you won't regret it.

Similar Products Used: older XT hubs w/house brand rims, no real comparison
    Ed Arnold   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2004]
    Strength:

Light and strong

Possible issue with freehub

Had a problem(freehub sliping under power) three months into using the rear wheel, sent it back, they sent me a new one.

One week turn around, I am very impressed with CC's service.

Similar Products Used: Spinergy disc, Crono Wam.
    J.   Weekend Warrior [Mar 19, 2008]
    Strength:

Bulletproof, quiet freewheel, lightweight, titanium spokes, great overall wheelset. I broke 2 spokes in the 5 years I've had them. The wheel didn't go out of true with 2 spokes missing. I actually finished the ride.

A little slop/flex in the front. Can't justify new wheels anymore. Had to use "need thru-axle" as an excuse to replace.

These wheels just won't die. I'm tired of them already, and I'm itching for a new set, but haven't been able to justify a new set yet. They're more reliable than high-performance. They have a little slop in front when going through rock gardens or landing from jumps. I've had these for almost 5 years. I'm getting the Bombshell Crushers for replacements. Hopefully those last as long.