Cane Creek Crono Wheelset Wheelset

Cane Creek Crono Wheelset

David Baltazar   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

LIGHT ROTATING MASS AND TIGHT SPOKE TENSION.

REAR HUB IS EXPOSED TO DUST.

The Cane Creek Cronos wheels have so far have been the most, favorite upgrade of my bike and my bike has undergone numerous upgrades as it hardly resembles the stock set-up when I originally purchased it. This is the most unique set of rims you will ever buy because the nipple spokes are on the hubs and not on the wheels. This results in a lighter, rotating mass which I noticed right away during steep, hill climbs. The spokes are also tensioned much tighter that conventional wheels resulting in stronger and straighter wheels. After numerous cross-country races and “fun” rides on rough terrain my Can Creek Cronos wheels are as true today as the date I first put them on. Haven’t had them trued yet!

Similar Products Used: MAVIC WHEELS
Marc   [Mar 13, 2002]
Strength:

Stiff, light, great customer support.

Hub would not tighten, (bearings), after riding 1.5 years.

Wonderful wheels although pricy, (I got them as a floor model for $380 so not too much for me). After the hub problem, I called Cane Creek. They said to send it to them,(my cost), and they would fix it for free and send it back, no charge. They didn't even ask how long I've had the wheel. They were fast, in a week after I sent it, I had it back, fixed.

Similar Products Used: XT/517's
A.S.   Racer [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

-Look rad

-ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT WHEELS TO TRUE
-Hard to find parts (spokes & bearings)
-Not as strong as everyone claims

I will admit, these wheels are pretty strong but not more so than other custom build-ups.
BE WARNED- it may be difficult to bend these rims, BUT when you do (and you will), they are almost impossible to true. The nipples are in the hub flanges and do not use a standard wrench. The spoke wrench Cane Creek gives you SUCKS. If you manage to turn the nipple, the whole spoke turns too. This means you may need to hold the spoke with some pliers. Oh... forget about the drive side spokes- you'll need to remove the cassette to get to them. My last complaint is with parts availability. You wont be able to go to your LBS to pick up spokes or a new rim. That stuff will have to be special ordered- keeping you off the trails even longer.-For most of you, trying to fix these wheels won't be worth the headache. It wasn't for me and I'm a BIKE MECHANIC!

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Sun, Bontrager
Dave   Racer [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

Not Shimano
Stays True
Fast

None so far

Like having a rocket strapped to your bike. Spins fast and stays true, might be a little expensive but you get what you pay for (I only paid $150 for mine!!) it might be a little hard to true but I have never had to.

Similar Products Used: Mavic
mike thompson   weekend warrior [Jan 11, 1997]

These wheels with a Marzocchi Bomber fork on an Outland allow me to downhill like never before. The wheels hold up to the increased speeds but thanks to the speed I have rediscoved pinch flats. I am older and out of shape but I was once a pretty fair local motorcycle motocross rider. I can blast the rocky downhills. The wheels suck it up, no prob.

Greg Sinski   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2001]
Strength:

Iam 215 lbs. and have a 20.3 lb YETI ARC Ti and this is my original wheel set these wheels are bullet proof. I hammer them day in day out and they NEVER come out of true

I really have not found any type of weakness

I love the wheel set, its pricey but well worth it.The low rotational weight makes them worth every penny you spend on them,just make sure you do not weight them down with heavy tires and tubes.

Mavic Cross Link
Chris King hubs

Mavic Cross Links and Chris King hubs, with Bontrager valient rims, and dt Revolution spokes
bontrager
Dan Williams   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2001]
Strength:

Seem strong, pretty light

Part's availability

These wheels are pretty damn nice. I liked them so much
I bought a second set a few weeks back.

They take a beating and barely go out of true. Others mention they are hard to true. I'm not sure what their problem is but I true mine all the time and it works fine.

My rear rim started to crack so I decided to try and rebuild it myself. The spokes are taking a while to get, as well
as a rim. My LBS took 2 weeks to get a rim, and no spokes yet (1.5 months later).

I'd say that these are a good buy if you can find them
on sale. Don't pay full price. I paid $425US for a set
of WAM Ti a few weeks ago.