Cane Creek Crono WAM Yellow Wheelset

Crono WAM Yellow

• Spoke count: 24 front/28 rear
  • Spokes: Double-butted stainless
  • Rim: Box-section aluminum, 26"
  • Hub shell: 6061-T6 aluminum
  • Hub axle: 6061-T6 aluminum (fr), CrMo steel (rr)
  • Axle spacing: 100mm front/135mm rear Rear cassette: Shimano 8/9-speed HG

• User Reviews (7)

Sevenguy   Cross Country Rider [Feb 07, 2002]
    Strength:

Light, fast, relatively durable.

Rim strength

I had the pleasure of riding a set of WAM Yellow's for just shy of 2 seasons on my hardtail Sola and was impressed by their durability and strength for such a light wheelset. I did however expereince a rim fracture while on a ride last fall that has since been handled with an amazing level of customer support from Cane Creek and particularily Peter Gilbert. In all my years of being a consumer, Peter blew me away with the amount of time and diligence he spent in making sure I was looked after. Rarely are my expectations met, and I must say that Cane Creek and Peter backed their product. As a result of this service, and the positive experience I had riding on the WAM's prior to my incident, I have again had the confidence to go the route of the Team WAM's with Blue rims and Ti spokes for this season. Thanks Peter, appreciate it.

steve   Racer [Nov 13, 2001]
    Strength:

high spoke tension-stiff wheel

rear hub has been rebuild 3 times and still having problems with cones.

at least cane creek will send new parts if you call them, but they keep sending the same crappy aluminum cones.

Darren   Cross Country Rider [Sep 09, 2001]
    Strength:

Light & look cool

I've had this wheel set for about 1 year now and had to send the rear back to the factory 2x's for new hubs. And as far as the front, I have replaced my fork, my headset and even pads and came to the conclusion that the front rim must have been machined uneven because of the chatter that I get when I apply the front brake.

If you have the cash, want your bike to look cool and want to be plagued by continuous maintenance, go for it. If you're a hard rider that needs good, solid, dependable and light-weight wheels, think again.

Alfonso   Cross Country Rider [Oct 31, 2000]
    Strength:

strength by design; light and lively in motion; durable construction and powdercoat finish

braking surface could stand some improvement in wet/muddy conditions

Worth every penny spent on them... they are simply fantastic. Most of this wheelset's merits are gained by innovative design. I had actually purchased these wheels to replace a set of Bontrager Race wheels, for which I've left a scathing review a while back mainly due to repeated issues surrounding rim quality. Much to my initial dismay, I had discovered that the hoops used on the WAMs are identical to the Bontys I trashed so I thought I was doomed. I thought wrong.

Reverse lacing on the WAMs allows smaller drills on the rim, effectively strengthening the rim -- sounds like a bunch of engineering and marketing B/S, but I TRULY BELIEVE this has made the remarkable difference between the Bontragers and the Cane Creeks in my own experience. One might argue that more rim material makes a heavier wheel, but in this case, moving the spoke nipples to the center of the wheel have produced wonders in reducing rotational weight. You simply have to ride these to even understand its significance.

Asymmetrical construction of rear hoop significantly reduces dish -- but I had already learned to appreciate that when I rode the Bontys.

Cane Creek has done a marvellous job in constructing, greasing and sealing their hubs, most notably the rear hub. These wheels are outrageously fast, light in action, and behave like they have the active drive system of an Audi. They've stood up to abuse of rocky terrain, dropoffs (both intended and accidental) and stay true in spite of all that. One ride and you'll love em. 500 miles or more later, your wife or better half will be jealous of them.

My wheel setup is completed as follows:

Rear: Shimano XTR 9sp casette, Specialized AirLock tube, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8

Front: Specialized AirLock tube, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

Similar Products Used: Specialized Stumpjumper WS, Bontrager Race
    Art   Cross-Country Rider [May 09, 1999]

Actually, the WAM's in yellow retail at $625., not $600. These are the same WAM's as the others,but they have the trick yellow rims and hubs with the black steel spokes instead of blue rims/silver spokes. Looks way good on my ride! Bought mine from Speedgoat for $540. total, including Shimano XT 8-speed 11-30 cassette installed and black Salsa skewers, delivered. Absolutely love 'em! I weigh 200 lbs. and I've not had to true them at all. They are as straight now as the day I put them on the bike. The 221 Mavic's went out of true after about 2 weeks and I was afraid I'd taco them or something, so I sold them to a friend who weighs less. I bomb a gravelly, bumpy downhill run for warm-up next to my house almost every day going at least 30 m.p.h., and these wheels inspire confidence! I've done very rocky and rooty trails as fast as I dared to, and these baby's hold up. Handling is excellent, they feel very stiff and solid. Acceleration is quick and easy, on road or off. And they have a gorgeous finish that is durable.
    Had a bike shop offer me a set of Mavic Crossmax's for $600. I said Nah, you can keep 'em. I'm buying the WAM's. Glad I did! You will be,too. 5 steamy boners!

Similar Products Used: --Matrix Swami.
    --Mavic 221 rims with Shimano Parallax hubs, (came stock with bike).
    Shaun H.   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2001]
    Strength:

These wheels came on my f-3000 , they are suprisingly strong, I'm 6'3" & 200LBs, The wheels are staying very straight. I would have to say that cane creek knows how to make a great wheel.

They aren't the lightest wheels ( althought they are light enough for me) and they are some what hard to true, but they hardly need to be.

These wheels are as cool as they look, smooth hubs, stong rims, great breaking surface, stiff, & fast. You really feel the difference, period....