Cane Creek Crono WAM Ti Wheelset

Cane Creek Crono WAM Ti

Rob   Cross Country Rider [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Stays true, light and durable.

Price? These wheels are worth the price!

Great wheels. I took a spill on some ice during a hike-a-bike section, and ended up falling onto my rear wheel spokes (made for a softer landing, but I thought the wheel was toast). The wheel stayed true! I have made only minor adjustment over three years. Just had them rebuilt due to rim wear(v-breaks), and bearings will not last forever. I travel all over the Rocky Mountain States for work, and ride at least five days a week.
Buy these wheels if you love light, durable and low maintenance wheels. Do not buy these wheels if price is more important than function.

John   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2001]
Strength:

Where do I begin.....? These wheels look fantastic and perform even better. I have had these for about 1 1/2 years and they have taken quite a beating! I have only lost one spoke in that time and have only changed out the bearings in the rear wheel once. I am very impressed with the workmanship. The TI spokes and offset angle in shich they are installed on the wheel give it a very stiff feel with no noticeable flex. I have yet to true these wheels except for the broken spoke. I can't say enough about these wheels.

The only real weakness is that the spoke tension is very high, so when you bust a spoke you will be hard pressed to keep riding. The wheel goet totally out of true and wouldn't pass through my forks. (I now keep an extra two spokes taped to the inside of my Hydration pack!)

I don't want to sound like some homer who likes the wheels just because I own them. If there were any real problems I would be glad to tell you but there are none rreally to speak of at this point. BUY THESE WHEELS!! If I am ever to replace these wheels I will do so with another set! There just is no substitute!! I give this 5 steaming poops on value since I got them so cheap and 5 more grunt sculptures for being even better than I could have ever thought. Great job Cane Creek....!

Similar Products Used: Mavid 217 ceramic CD-SUP on Ringle hubs, Mavic 517 Citeron on XT hubs, WTB Speedmasters on LX hubs
gk   Racer [Apr 15, 2003]
Strength:

very strong, light, look sweet, not crossmax

expensive if you had to pay retail, if you bust a spoke they are expensive to replace and will pull wheel totally out of wack

very nice wheelset, very light and are super strong. Have been racing on them for about 1 year now and are still straight. For what i paid for them there is not another wheel even close to the performance. The blue spokes look cool and everyone will always ask you, are those ti? The only downside is if you bust a spoke they are hard to come by and are pretty expensive, but so are crossmax spokes. I guess if you are looking to buy a $800 wheelset you most likely have more than one set of wheels anyways and will only race on these, and for racing they are sweet.

Similar Products Used: hugi/517, crossmax
Jim Sener   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2000]
Strength:

weight, durability, customer service

custom parts, tools

Very happy. They do what they are supposed to do. Fast, light and responsive. I have ridden year round for two years and only broke 2 spokes.

Suggestion: keep extra spoke in pack for long rides.

Similar Products Used: Spinergy
Seth   Cross-Country Rider [May 04, 1999]
Strength:

Light weight, Power transfer, ride

Durability, Free hub body

The bottom line is I've ridden the things for just about a year and had to replace the free hub body twice. It rides great but fir the price it should be more durable.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 517, 217 cross land
craig   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 20, 1999]

Strength
Strength
Weight
Strength
Did I say they're strong?
Ti makes me moist

Huh?

Followup to earlier review, which was also great. Last weekend I picked up a 2-inch branch in the rear, locking up the rear wheel and throwing me over the bars. I figured the rear was toast. Imagine my surprise to find not even a bent spoke, and the wheel is still perfectly true. These things ROCK. Five flaming jizballs!

Similar Products Used: RPM Lite
Crossland
Crosslink
Superfly
XT/231
jules   Racer [Jul 01, 1999]
Strength:

incredible rolling resistance which makes these wheels faster in technical terrain.very light weight which makes them great climbing wheels

These wheels rock! Light weight, quick and fast.Incredible hub design. As though they would roll forever if wheels were not acted upon by outside force. Highly recommended for racing.

Similar Products Used: mavic crosslink
mavic 517
D. Javier   Weekend Warrior [Jun 30, 1999]
Strength:

Strong
Light n'
Killer looks

price

Buy them...they look great and performe better...i just got back from some advanced ridding in west va and stayed at the elk river touring center ( www.ertc.com)...and went on some white knuckle downhills and bike humping ups, and through some huge rock gardens that almost put holes in my frame, and wheel is fully true and spotless.....took a huge jump landed on the front wheel from 8 feet and wheel is stilll perfectly true...great f>u>C>k>ing job CAne Creek!!
buy them, .worth every penny.....HURRY THE FRONT IS ON SALE AT SUPERGO.COM FOR $150 !!!!!
DID I SAY IT LOOKS GOOD?