Bontrager Select Wheelset

Bontrager Select Wheelset

• 24/28 hole design with OSB rear rim is engineered to provide enough stiffness for any size rider
  • Hubset utilizes forged shell with hardened, ground and polished cones and races, and Cro-moly axles; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness
  • Hubs are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available at your local Bontrager dealer
  • Bontrager Race Mtn Cro-moly skewers included

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 27, 2009]
    XCrider

Strength:

Light, good looking , fast

After a year of riding, I noticed my tires began to rub against my frame. Brought my bike into my shop to get fixed and found out my hub was warped. (Thru- Axel became loose). The mechanic reconmend I get new wheels, since a rebuild is expensive.

I absolutley love my bike, however the wheels have been a real pain. I'm sure if I checked thru- axel tightness, this problem would have been delayed. Wished the hubs were higher end to go with the other parts on the bike

[Jul 03, 2008]
    xtr_trek

Strength:

These are great rims. Great hubs too. Came on my Trek 8000 and I have carried them over to my KHS XC team. About a year ago I accidentally backed ALL THE WAY OVER THE REAR RIM WITH A DODGE NEON. They are still TRUE!!!!!!!! Enough said!

Super strong
    Super light

Get em.

Mavic 117 (mavics were about a pound heavier)

[Jun 18, 2003]
    Otto

Strength:

Strong wheelset, long life, relatively lightweight.

A bit on the heavy side and ffront wheel flexes a little bit.

This is a good wheelset considering the price and he weight. A good choice for someone who will be a little more rough to thier wheels and not just racing because these a a little bit beefier.

Crappy bontrager rims

[Mar 31, 2003]
    Jon

Strength:

lightweight design is great in theory

the whole radial laced low spoke count thing gives me the chills, In addition to the spokes after a summer of riding The rear hub broke and now wobbles slightly causing the chain to skip when high tension is on it

These wheels are alright for about 2 months of serious riding. my reccomendation to you is get a new wheelset as soon as you can afford to if you plan on riding seriously because these bontrager wheels will lead you to a world of problems.

Mavic, sun rims

[Feb 06, 2004]
    Kevin

Strength:

This wheelset it fairly lightweight and very durable.

Not disc-ready.

I have had no problems whatsoever with this wheelset. I ride in some really gnarly, technical terrain and they have held up fine. They are light too so you can race with these wheels! Good job Keith! This is an excellent wheelset!

[Jan 19, 2003]
    Sprocketeer

Strength:

Very light, and considering that, they are exceptionally strong, rigid wheels. I haven't had to true them yet after riding about 1200 miles on them in 8 months.

From the very first ride on my new bike on which these came stock I've been having cascading Bontrager component failures--even the saddle if you can believe that--but the rims on these things and the overall wheel design are totally sweet. I'm glad these came stock because I wouldn't have selected them myself if I were building the bike. Awesome wheels for the money.

Also, they clean up like new with a hose and a frame brush even if you moderately neglect and abuse them (somehow I keep forgetting to clean up my wheels when I clean the rest of the bike after a ride).

The hubs don't spin well at all--many riders recommend keeping the rims, dumping the hubs, and replacing them with Phil Woods (reasonable) or Chris King (expensive) hubs, and I agree completely, though only for people who ride a great amount. Most people probably don't need to think about this.

Mine came with Bontrager something-something tires, which are good on gravel and sand, but horrible in any kind of mud (but this isn't a tire review).

These are the best rims I've ever used and the spokes are fine--both hold up to a considerable amount of abuse cross-country. However, the hubs are a tide-you-over-til-you-get-decent-replacement parts. Wheel sets are expensive, so I don't go rebuilding them all the time, but this time I'm going to have to change the hubs because they just don't preform well.

I'm speedy, so I need the hubs to be speedy too. Right now, the hubs are the weak link between leg power--or even gravity--and forward motion. When I buy a bike that's billed as a 'racing bike' or 'competition bike' I expect to get race or competition level parts at least in the most essential areas, and these hubs are not it. Get cheap on the bars, stem, post, and saddle, but give me a good drivechain and good hubs for my money.

As far as lateral stiffness goes though, I have to say I haven't experienced any problems at all on hard turns even at high speed. The stiffness of this setup makes up for the slide through I have to do on muddy turns with those Bontrager tires--soon to be replaced with Panacer Fire XC. In this repect these wheels are completely reliable and outperform other wheelsets I've used or demoed in this price range.

I'll give them four flaming chilis because essentially they're a good buy and most people riding for fun wont fret about the hubs. This is a good wheelset if your anything short of an endurance, long distance, and or very fast rider.

Plenty of bang for your buck.

Mavic

[Aug 26, 2002]
    Sarah

Strength:

True, true, true

Freehub issues if not taken apart and loved with grease regularly

Sent to me by Trek as replacements for my Superstocks, am truly happy with them. Have raced almost every weekend since August '01, and am astounded they stay true. I weigh 150 lbs though, and do mostly XC racing. They are most desirable and deliver technical happiness. For the money (you can find them at a bargain, look around) they are lightweight and quality wheels. Remember when reading other reviews that most truing/hub issues are traceable to the original shop setting the wheels up incorrectly. If needed though, Trek will replace parts easily.

Superstocks

[Dec 16, 2002]
    jmoh

Strength:

Good looking, light weight

some free hub problems

I have only had these things trued one time in 6 months and I have given them a pretty good beating. I took them off my wife's Sugar 3+ because she had a lighter hand-built set. I had some freehub concerns while in Moab. The slickrock will tear things up though. I weigh about 220 in riding gear so I have been pleased so far. I would buy them again.

crosslinks, LX, XT

[Sep 20, 2004]
    Johnathan

Strength:

Strong
    Reliable
    Still True after lots of harsh riding

Heavy

These wheels are still true even though I took my bike to agressive singletrack. Throughout the 9 months I have owned them, I haven't had to true them. The hubs are very reliable, and they were in fine form everytime I checked its innards.

[Apr 15, 2002]
    Jared Moore

Strength:

Very strong. I've had them for 6 mo. now. Haven't had to true them in yet.

Not cheap enough for me to buy another wheelset on my budget.

I weigh 210 and I ride a little too rough and every other trip to the bike shop was to true in my wheels until I got this wheelset. I want to get some more to put on my hardtail. They are kinda pricey for me but I won't put my money on anything else but these, so I'm saving.

Mavic 517