Bontrager Select Series Wheelset

Bontrager Select Series Wheelset

For Select Disc and Rim Brake

Price: $130 - $270

• Select Disc OSB rims are welded for superior strength and designed to provide adequate stiffness for riders of all sizes
  • Alloy locking nipples and butted spokes
  • Forged hubshell and CroMoly axle with hardened, ground and polished bearing surfaces for high durability and ease of service (Replacement parts in the hub section of this catalog)
  • 6 bolt rotor attachment
  • Same design as World Cup proven wheels, but built with the budget in mind
  • Presta valve

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 04, 2010]
    grivooga

Strength:

Strong wheels, have stayed true. Set up tubeless with no problems using Stan's strips over Gorilla Tape. Easy to service.

Rear hub ate a cone after about 1000 mi (easy enough to replace). Poor seals. Not very many engagement points.

They've been mostly good to me so far. They came a little out of dish but not enough to worry about and otherwise have stayed true despite my clydesdale abuses. Had to service the rear wheel after it started grinding at about 9 months. Non-drive side cone had some pitting. Was easily replaced with a spare parts bin cone. If it gives me more trouble it will be easy enough to rebuild it completely.

Used Gorilla Tape to seal the rims then Stan's Rim Strips on top of that to give the beads something the seal better against. Bontrager tires aired up quick and have been completely trouble free tubeless.

They're not the prettiest or lightest wheels. But they get the job done, only time will tell for how long. I don't really expect the rear to last more than another year, but it might surprise me.

[May 08, 2008]
    Antonio

Strength:

Tougher than what I thought they would be.

Dust seal on the drive side of the rear wheel is gone, and there are no replacements. Freehub not serviceable. The need to, every couple of months, adjust the cup and cone hubs.

When I got the bike one year ago I thought I would need to get new wheels pretty fast. I'm using the bike for trail riding and there are many roots out there. The front wheel came out of true in the first week, the rear after one month. After they were retrued, they have endured 2000km of trail riding without getting out of true. The hubs are reliable cup and cone. They do need more maintenance, but they don't bother much. The freehub started making some ticking noise every revolution when coastig about 1000km ago. Since it's not serviceable, I've been just riding it until it dies.

All in all I'm positively surprised by this wheelset. My biggest complaint is the lack of replacement seals and the non-serviceability of the freehub. I don't like to ride things until they break because they lack maintenance.

[Jan 17, 2008]
    Jay Riggs

Strength:

I haven't had any problems at all with these rims

The Bontrager rear hub needs maintenance after about 1100 miles (bearing noise)

Bontrager Select Disc-

Overall, these wheels been good to me. In small print on the sides of the rims themselves it says they are "Made in the USA", if this is true I'm not sure, but no complaints with the rims and spokes themselves, just a cranky rear hub. Bontrager is good.