Bontrager Rhythm Comp TLR 29 Wheelset

• Requires Presta valve tube or Presta valve core for tubeless

[Mar 06, 2016]
gazzaoak
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

light weight

tacoed my front rim completely on the second ever ride. not meant for super aggressive riding.

not meant for aggressive riding

[May 29, 2012]
ojay72

Strength:

Price-value, resilience

At this price level, none worth complaining about.

Even with a nasty dent on my rear rim that went all the way passed the lip, the wheel only has an ever so slight hop which the experts have been amazed about. Still pretty true even with the damage. After 2 years the rear bearings may need some tlc but it still spins smooth apart from a slight increase in spin noise. These are spec'd on Trek Remedies from 2011 and earlier and for good reason.

[May 26, 2012]
Zoomie
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Tubeless Ready 29 wheel set without breaking the bank. Excellent tubeless tire sealing, works as advertised. Great value and reliable wheelset

a bit of flex in the wheels, but hardly noticeable (I am 200lbs).

Had a set on my GF HiFi, damaged the front one (my fault) and bought another one. Online ordering was a bit tough and eventually went with an LBS. The wheel is easy to use and I put GEAX Saguaro TNT tires on the front and back. It took less than 5 minutes to put both tires on and I have had zero pressure issues due to the great rim design. The valve core and rim strip are self explanatory and easy to use. Overall, this is a great rim for the price. It does flex and I blew two spokes running through a scrub oak (there are only 28 spokes so they have a lot of tension). I am 6' 200 lbs and ride on the Front Range of Colorado. I have done cross country to extremely technical on these wheels and haven't had a bad experience yet. The wheel flex might be more of an issue with a hard tail, but the pros more than outweigh the cons on this wheel set.

[Nov 28, 2011]
rtarquini

Strength:

Light, wide

Weak, dents / bends with mildly aggressive riding

Bent the rear with XC usage, 160lbs rider, now unable to true. Also dented (w/Tube @32 psi). Still rideable as the Paragon has a wide triangle.

Crankbros Cobalt

[Apr 02, 2010]
Clinterous

Strength:

light and wide. xlnt quality. runs tubeless nicely with bontrager strips.

28 spoke. makes for a flexy wheel. at 200lbs I definately notice flex. Its off putting.

Good wheels apart from flex. Why didnt they just use a 32 hole patern and these wheels would be bullet proof.

Stans Arch. Sun DS2, shimano 29.

[Apr 16, 2009]
photodog

Strength:

Strong, wide, reasonable weight, easy to make tubeless

hubs are kind of cheap

These came with my Paragon. I thought they would be the first thing I wanted to upgrade but they've proven to be a very solid training wheelset. I'm 175lbs ride these really hard and have not had to true them in the past year. A quick note on the Stans site got me the right rimstrips so I converted to tubeless (you can't find the bontrager kit anywhere), most tires mount right up. One of the nicest things about these is that the rims are really wide which makes for wider tires and more traction. Running 22psi on a 2.25 is like having suspension and I have only put one minor dent in the rim at that pressure.
I was going to upgrade to a set of 240's with DT 7.1's but the Bontrager's are only about 75 grams heavier and are about $500 less! Heck, I'll just buy a couple more sets of these! Don't get me wrong, if you're racing you still want a race-only wheelset but for training and trail riding these are quite a value.

lots

[Feb 04, 2009]
talknopf

Strength:

light, strong.
gives more volume to the thiner tires.
adds mor confidance

you can find lighter wheels

a wheelset to relay on
i have been riding these for about a week and a half.
tubless is gr8
overall strength is amazing for a 28 spoke.
no truing needed for all of this time
i am at about 220 LB