Bontrager Racelite Tubeless Wheelset

Bontrager Racelite Tubeless Wheelset

• Lightweight and race proven – Race Lite wheels feature OSB rear rim design, and the Bontrager Tubeless sealing system, which can be used with either standard tires with tubes or with a wide range of tubeless tire
  • Rims are welded for superior strength, machined for smooth braking, and ceramic coated to eliminate sidewall wear-through
  • Features OSB in the rear, which further reduces dish and is engineered to provide enough stiffness for even the most abusive riders
  • Hubs are Swiss made, fully serviceable, triple sealed, cartridge bearing design which uses aluminum axles and a star ratchet system in the rear; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness – aluminum freehub body should be used with aluminum bodied cassettes
  • Spokes are superlight 14/17G butted stainless steel with alloy locking nipples; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Mtn titanium skewers included

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 10, 2009]
    cannondalemtb65

Strength:

Nice wheels, pretty light, strong, tubeless set up took about 10 minutes for both wheels, look sweet

No that i found

These are great wheels very fast rolling. I ride pretty aggresive cross county, and i weight about 185-195 lbs and have had no trouble with them bending or poping at all. The tubeless kit when in buttery smooth and has me rolling fast with no worries about pinch flats. Great wheels would recomend them if you don't want to spend over a grand on wheels.

mavic crosslands, stan's 355's

[Jun 10, 2009]
    AsianPersuasion

Strength:

Strong, light, nice engagement.

Installing tires.

I have taken these wheels through hell. They have eaten rocks, jumps, drops, stairs, getting stepped on, and other inhumane situations. They have been on various trails at various pressures and done a stint on commuter bike with slicks. They have held up admirably, never having to be trued once in 3 plus years. One of the lighter wheels on the market so a great choice for xc bikes and gram counters.
    So why do they frustrate me so much. CHANGING TIRES!!! They were fine when I ran the tubeless. But then I went to tubes. OH MY GOD!!! Broke two sets of tire irons getting them on. Figured the tires will break in and stretch. NEVER! Changed tires, broke more tire irons!
    Having a heck of a time getting them to sit right. Have to get them on, fill the tire to 75+psi, allow it "POP" into place, and deflate them to proper pressure. A lot of work. Always afraid the tire itself would actually explode, damaging my pretty face or my eardrums. I usually pump them up and leave them in another room. Seriously could not imagine getting a flat on the trail. I dread the day that happens and will probably be the reason I finally toss them into the dumpster.
    My rating is for strength to weight ratio. Value goes down for the costs of tire irons and since time is money, the time required to mount tires.

Crossmax, Various Mavic builds, American Classics

[Apr 19, 2009]
    bikefx

Strength:

Light, conventional design and parts = easily serviceable.

TOO DIFFICULT to install tires! We (bike shop) tried to change the tires on a set and the owner of the shop who in his 18years in the business has only broken 1 tire lever, broke about 5 levers changing tires on this single wheelset and took him 1.5hrs! Used talc pwdr, water etc. And they still couldnt hold air!

Horrible and absolutely unacceptable product. The Bontrager Race X Lite should not exist. Period.

[Apr 17, 2009]
    roroman

Strength:

after 1 year of riding and as a race novice, thay have taken my abuse very well(until the front rim became an 8)my bad. with the proper amount of tire sealant I have never had a flat. I use maxxis larsens

the black coating gets scratched easily.

after my latest trail crash the front rim gave up on me.
    I have just ordered the same rim and will do it again.

lower end bontragers

[Jul 07, 2003]
    Harry

Strength:

Exrtemly light and strong!

none that I am aware of yet.

I am no light wieght and niether is my bike, but wheel set has allowed me to drop a couple of pounds off my bike and improve the wheel strength overall.

Syncros big box

[Jun 26, 2003]
    Lee Wilson

Strength:

Very light, stong, great hubs, came perfectly true out of the box.

Hard to mount tires, but ALL tubless tires are hard to mount.

Very nice product. I've seen a lot of wheels come in and out of the shop and so far nothing matches these. The CrossMax SL's weigh more and are harder to set up with the disks so I decided to go with the Bontrager's. I'm glad I did, I'm very impressed with this wheelset. I cut a pound and a half off my bike and just love the tubeless.

If anyone is thinking about a good wheel set, the RaceLite Tubeless is hard to beat.

Bontrager Corvairs (HEAVY), Mavic CrossMax SL's

[May 24, 2003]
    Scott Peterson

Strength:

Weight, strength, looks, versatility.

Can be tough to mount tires until you figure it out.

Great lite weight and tough wheelset. I running conventional Python Air Lites with Stans and have not had a single problem. Getting tires on can be a pain, but use a spray bottle mixed with 1/3 each of soap, water, and armor all and they will go on fairly easy. These have been on some rough rocky trails and have yet to need truing. The bottom line is if you're looking for an awesome upgrade get a set of these, you'll never regret it!

Mavic CrossMax

[Feb 13, 2003]
    Mark Ellingwood

Strength:

Everything, always truing, lose air quicker than any other tubless, can't get tires on.

They suck I'm glad I work at a shop and can get some mavics

mavic. rolf

[Jan 24, 2002]
    Justin Pokrivka

Strength:

Very light and great braking surface, able to run tubeless and regular tires is a big plus.

A little flexy and exspensive

Race is the main word here. These wheels are great for racing a little to light and expsensive for every abuse. I had some trouble when I first started using these wheels wiht them staying true. After I retensioned the spokes they've been running true for at least 8 months. A few friends had trouble with the hubs I didn't have any trouble with my set. These wheels have the best braking out of any ceramic wheels. If need good set of wheels for race bike these are worth a look if you what a good wheel for everyday riding look else where.

Mavick 317 ceramic

[Jul 19, 2002]
    John

Strength:

Light weight,tubeless, ceramic

Not much tire compatibility

Good wheel set, durable, lightweight, less expensive than the CrossMax, yet they are not compatible with my favorite tire, the Hutchinson Python.

Mavic CrossMax