Bontrager Race Wheelset Wheelset

Bontrager Race Wheelset Wheelset

Race Wheelset

[Feb 24, 2002]
stu

Strength:

Light
Reliable
Durable hubs
Stylin - black spokes, rims

None so far

I know that most people have had problems with these Bontragers, so I must have really lucked out. I use these wheels on road, off road, through mud, singletrack, water, rocks, etc and they have always held up. They are light and feel fast and stiff. I have only had to true them once, and even then the maintenance was minor. My hubs have not yet acted up and both wheels still roll as smooth as the first day I've ridden them. Overall they have held up and they still perform, which is more than I could ask.

Shimano wh-M535 (these are the 16 spoke wheels. They suck bigtime - heavy and spongy feel, weighty steering, crap LX hubs)

[Apr 08, 2004]
Aaron

Strength:

Light Wheelset

Dont hold up well over time

I liked this wheelset from the time that I got them when I bought the bike. But today when coming home from riding some single track I realized that I had pulled a nipple throught the rim and upon further inspection I realized that there were 4 more spokes about ready to break as well.
I am 215 pounds and do not ride hard enough to justify what has happened with these wheels. They were perfect six months ago when I bought the bike and they have gone to trash since then. Don't buy an old wheelset like this it will give you nothing but trouble.

[Nov 14, 2001]
phil

The front hub needs frequent adjustment.
The rear rim, with the original half-radial half-2 cross lacing, pulled six of the seven driving spokes out of the rim--this was replaced under warranty.
Then the rear hub started making popping/creaking noises, and eventually quit free-wheeling. I disassembled it to find that the inner hollow shaft of the freehub had sheared off.

The front hub needs recurrent adjustment.
The rear lacing pattern sucks. The rear freehub is sheared off inside, so the whole wheel is headed for the dumpster (especially after reading other reviews).
I love the Bontrager bike, but so far have replaced the Bontrager, seat, seatpost, and rear wheel. THe handlebar and stem seem stout, so I suppose the front wheel will be the next to go.
I also had an aftermarket Bontrager rim, asymm something or other, that split at a number of the spokes.
I would only recommend buying a frame with the Bontrager name on it, but they are no longer available--go figure.

Shimano, Mavic

[Sep 25, 2001]
RED FOX

Strength:

NONE

Sidewalls and hubs

These are crap, don't buy them. I wish I would have read these reviews before I wasted 400 bones. If you are a big rider, like 220+ buy a Mavic 618 or stronger. This is also the last bontrager/trek peice of crap I will ever own, and to Gary Fisher, the trek sell out, take your K-MART blue light special wheel set and learn something from your true market(the guys and girls who have to ride your crap) and start spec'n out the wheels and parts that work.

Mavic 221/220 and Bontrager Mustang Asym(also crap)

[Apr 15, 2003]
S S

Strength:

black...
gives me something to complain about

extremely flexy...freehub gone to hell...hubs loosened after a week. alloy nipples siezed. won't true. trek

i am between 150-155 pounds and a reasonably smooth rider. i bought these because some fat creep was going to put what looked like a decent set of wheels on his downhill bike...so i appealed to his avarice and offered him $50 on the spot. now, two years is much longer than the forecast week that these wheels would've lasted under gut-boy. however, it has been two years of aggravation. i'm not usually so bitter...i've been spending $$$ on bike parts and riding the crap out of them for 13 years...and this product is just pathetic. COME ON!!! did they prep the spokes? DOUBTFUL. who ever heard of using the tendency of the hub bearings sideloading to your advantage? i had to over-tighten the QR just to keep the hub from flopping around (i know how to adjust cones)...oh, and the freehub sounds like a garbage-disposal with a cat food can wedged in it.
well, thanks for letting me blow off some steam.

mavic. shi#mano

[Nov 17, 2001]
Taylor

Strength:

look cool, pretty light

read on

please dont buy these wheels (2000 vintage at least). they may look cool but after 3 months and 500 miles, the rear hub has needed constant tightening. needless to say, im replacing them

[Nov 04, 2001]
Mike

Strength:

+They're round and hold a tire and true

-Wet noodles
-Horrible bearings
-Bad seals
-Not very fun to overhaul

These came on a Sugar 2. As with everything else made on the bike by Trek, these wheels have bit the dust. The front wheel bearings developed serious wobble after a month or two, and Bontrager/Trek won't help me get replacements. It doesn't help that they don't answer emails.

Ok, so here's what you'll get with these wheels. Very interesting lacing pattern, and wheels that nominally stay true. They haven't failed horribly like everything else Trek I've owned, but they are dying for sure. The braking surface is nearly worn through and the bearing races are toast and ovalized despite some fairly light riding from me (150lbs, just XC racing type of riding) and rebuilds monthly (I could see the seals were going to be a problem. You may also get those horrible QR levers. Had one snap on me. As for a riding experience, there are much better wheelsets for the money. The front wheel will pretty much do as it pleases and make you nice bike feel like a huffy special (oh wait, that's what I almost have :) in the steering department. The rear, well it works most of the time. All I can say is, I'd get this wheelset if you can get it under $100. Otherwise, the lack of sealed bearings, horrible customer service, lack of strength and bad karma associated with these wheels should steer you far, far away.

Hayes/Sun disc wheelset, specialized STOUT

[Sep 17, 2001]
Steve Shackley

Strength:

light, looks good

After 2 years the rear wheel came apart. Spokes began to pull out, and it was always difficult to keep true

For the price, I would expect a longer lasting product and a wheel that remains true for more than a couple of rides. I've just upgraded to a Fisher Sugar 2 that has the same wheels. I think I'll buy new WTB or Mavic's for my Sugar and put the Bontrager's on my old Mt. Tam, and hope for the best.

Mavic 222

[Nov 11, 2001]
Snwbdrhoon

Strength:

Clean design, Lighter than my last pair, Holds a tire well, Fun looking!

Would have liked to buy them for a bit cheaper. The jury's still out on durability based on other reviewers. Stickers were not placed well (hey I'm anal).

Good wheels, good price (a bit cheaper would have been nice). Honestly, I never get a chance to properly clean my bike, and when it does get washed, it's usually with a power hose when I'm washing the car at the same time (I know it's bad). I weigh about 175 and ride my bike hard (I've got a hardtail, but I'm a downhiller at heart). After approx. 4 months of riding twice a week (weekends) on rocky, rooty, waterbar'd East Coast trails, they're still tickin' with no problems (noises, bad bearings or other formerly mentioned problems). So far, Trek CS has been nice enough (they sent me some Bontrager stickers when I inquired about the wheels).

For the price, not too bad. Check in with me after 6 months. If I got them for $200, I would have given them 5 for the value, but overall they've been killin' it.

Similarly priced Mavics, Specialized, and Shimanos wheelsets.

[Aug 11, 2001]
TMike

Strength:

+Light for the price

-Construction

Well, these wheels were the last straw with my disappointment with the Trek line of products. These wheels came off a flawed Sugar 2. The rims are seriously worn away where the brake pads contact them, and I don't really do that much mud riding. They have about 800 miles on them and are about toast. This doesn't include the problems with the rear hub making scary metallic grinding noises and the front hub having ovalized bearings that makes the wheel flop back and forth on certain axes. This shouldn't happer for someone who doesn't do drops and weighs less than 100lbs. They have stayed true though - as if this is the only goal Bontrager had in mind. If these wheels are spec'd on your bike, see if you can swap them for something better.

Specialized STOUT wheelset