Bontrager Race Tubeless Wheelset

• Race wheelset is designed for years of off-road abuse; features cartridge sealed bearing hubset and the Bontrager Tubeless sealing system, which can be used with either standard tires with tubes or a wide range of tubeless tires
  • Race rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking – 24/28 hole design is engineered to provide adequate stiffness for all size of riders
  • New cartridge bearing hubs are fully serviceable and rear hub features Cro-moly steel rear axle and cassette rotor for extra durability; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness; front hub has oversize cartridge bearings and aluminum axle with adjustable pre-load
  • Bontrager Race Mtn Cro-moly skewers included

• User Reviews (21)

cyclezen   Cross Country Rider [Mar 11, 2009]
    Strength:

looks like it might be a good wheelset when actually being used

Incredibly Difficult to mount tires! So I may never get to ride these!

have gone thru 3 different tire combos in order to find one which would mount without having to resort to Motorcycle tire levers to get the bead over the rim. Its due to the tubeless rimstrip (black asymmetrical) which is stock on the Wheel.
    Mounting tires with any normal rimstrip is easy, but trying to stay tubeless and using their stock rimstrip, I've yet to be able to fully mount a tire without resorting to large metal tire levers.
    I can;t imagine trying to repair a flat out trailside!
    Choices for me are, either go back to tubes on these and use a normal rimstrip. Or hope and pray I never get a flat while out riding (if I can ever get a tire on without damaging the rim...). Neither is any kind of acceptable solution.
    Expensive lesson learned.

Jorge   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2008]
    Strength:

This is a review for rims only.Look good, resistant to V-Brake pad friction, so far no dents or bents on harsh impacts, lightweight.

For sure there are weaknesses, but I haven't seen them yet!

Once again, this is a review for rims only. As always, I purchased components and I assembled the bicycle. I decided to buy these rims (24 h front, 28 h rear) in first place because of their lightweight and their shallow and wider profile. I am no structural engineer, but I think that on contrary to other manufacturers that build narrow XC rims to reduce weight, a wider rim is more resistance to impact and lateral deformation. My body weigh is 52 kg and probably this is the reason the rims never come out of true and never dented on nasty impacts and two years of XC riding.

Similar Products Used: WTB, Mavic, Alex Rims
    Atlas   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2003]
    Strength:

Wheels take a beating and stay true. Very stiff. Great wheels if you plan to beat the hell out of your bike with drops, jumps, or a lot of sidehill riding.

Heavy. Out of curiosity, I actually weighed each of my wheels on a laboratory scale (with skewers, cassette, tubes, and tires off) and found that both wheels were more than 30% heavier than advertised! That's just under 1.5 pounds more than advertised. And yes, the mud was cleaned off before weighing. Very difficult to install tire/tube when out on the trail with a hand pump.

Good product that will wear and tear very well. They are a major pain in the a$s if you get a flat on the trail. It's not fun to replace a tube and tire on the trail when it's 90 degrees and you're sweating like a mating boar hog. These wheels are NOT light, so they may not be the ideal for XC racers looking to minimize weight. And remember, triming the greatest amount of weight from the wheelset will yield significant improvements in power effiiency. This wheelset is now my spare...and a good one at that (they get a three to four flaming turds rating in my book).

Similar Products Used: Mavic CrossMax SL
    Ross   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Two adventure races and lots of training miles haven't beaten these down yet.

None yet

I hated these wheels the first time I tried to change a flat (the night before a race)! It took forever to pry the tire off the rim. After the race, I took the wheels to my LBS and complained about them. The LBS mechanic took the tire off with great effort, pulled out the black plastic tubeless sealer thingy and re-assembled my wheel with little effort. I have changed a few flats since then with absolutely no effort whatsoever.

I've put these wheels through 2 adventure races and a ton of training miles during the 8 months I've had this bike and have never had true them. They're a little heavier than my friend's Crossmax wheels, but not by much.

Bottom line is -- take out that stupid plastic thingy and ride with tubes. These rims are almost perfect once you do that!

jonathon Farrell   Racer [Apr 09, 2003]
    Strength:

Just light, nothig else.

Weak wheels. Rims ding easy. And they don't stay straight.

These wheels are definately not on my list again. They didn't even stay straight for two months. I have rode on them for 7 months, and constantly had them in the shop to be trued. Don't ever buy these wheels. They are the weakest wheels I've ever tried. The tubeless rims work great, but the wheel just can't hold it's own.

Similar Products Used: mavics, spinergy's, rynoslites, wtbs.
    Tom   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2003]
    Strength:

Spokes haven't snapped off yet? No airleaks so far.

Rear hub, don't stay true, extremely difficult to mount a tubeless tire.

Originally I purchased the regular Bontrager Race wheelset in 2001. In 2002 the rear hub broke and the lbs couldn't disassemble it at all so I got a Bontrager Race tubeless rear wheel back on warranty. (credits to Bontrager and my lbs there).
    Anyway, this wheel seems to have exactly the same weakness: rear hub! (same issue that Rolf Dolomite wheels have).
    I've replaced the body and bearings twice. The wheel doesn't stay true either, need to check that after every ride it seems.
    I must also mention that it is really a major pain to mount UST tires on this rim. You're lucky if you can get a tire on within 15 minutes with bloodshed, sweat and tears!
    The rim is simply too large for most UST tires because even if you got a tire on it will not inflate to a point where the wheel is properly towards the inner sidewalls. When you rotate the wheel you then notice a wobble sideways.

This is very poor product that never should have appeared on the market. There is no way it could have passed a normal quality control, except Bontragers.

Similar Products Used: Rolf Dolomits UST, Mavics
    Herb   [Mar 27, 2003]
    Strength:

Took a beating for a while.

Rear hub failed on me. Had to have it fixed at my LBS. Also, the rim on the rear wheel actually broke apart from where the rim brakes had contact. This was after 1 year of riding. I saved the front wheel as a spare and bought some Mavic CrossRoc wheels.

Had problems with tubeless tires. Ended up using tubes. The wheelset came with the bike but would not recommend them.

Similar Products Used: Mavic CrossMax XL @ Mavic CrossRoc.
    Sean Brennan   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2003]
    Strength:

Nice Looking

Absolutely impossible to mount tire!!!!

Don't buy these. It took me over an hour to mount tires on these! Then they wouldn't seal. I've been riding and working on bikes for many years now but the bontrager rep.(I emailed them about my problems) talked to me like I was some kind of idiot. I even talked to a very good bike mechanic at my local BS and he too has had a hell of alot of trouble with these wheels. His advice was to get rid of them and buy some Crossmax! I never rode them, sold them to some poor fool on Ebay, and bought some Crossmax. End of story.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crossmax
    Ken   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Light, look cool, tubeless...

Impossible to install a tire on... Lightness adds some flexy is seems.

Don't buy these if you expect to be able to repair a flat or switch a tire with ease... I spent hours putting on a new set of Suvival Pros. It is damn near impossible.

Duncan Mackenzie   Cross Country Rider [Mar 16, 2003]
    Strength:

Weight, lateral strength, smooth bearings, durability

tough changing tyres until you get the knack, then it's easy. As for all the complaints about not seating properly, when all else fails, read the instructions, inflate until the beads seat properly then deflate to the required pressure, sure works for me

I'm around 190lb, ride hard and have always had to build wheels to stay in one piece. Have trued the rear once in 12 months with this set, run tubes and kevlar beaded tyres so can't comment on wire bead probs. Slightly susceptible to pinch flats if running low pressures and banging rocks. Will update this when I slip on some tubeless to address the pinch flat issue.

Similar Products Used: Various Shimano hubs with hand built wheels focussing on durability