Bontrager Race Series 29er Wheelset

Bontrager Race Series 29er Wheelset

For the 29" Race Series of wheels.

Many different options. Specify wheel type in review.

[Apr 22, 2009]
brianb

Strength:

durability

?

When choosing components for the build, I opted for these as a relatively light weight and economical wheelset on the advice of Jeff from Mrazek. I did this with much scepticism on my part, as I'm 215 lbs and not easy on wheels. But, after 3 years, a couple trips to Downieville and lots of local riding (XC), the bearings are still smooth and the rims straight and true. I haven't touched a spoke. I'm surprised, as I thought I'd be upgrading w/in a year or two. So, 5 chili's all around for now. That said, I do think that Mrazek's mechanic in OR gave them the once over before they came to me... maybe that's the difference between this review and others here.

various 26" wheels from LBS & factories.

[Aug 06, 2008]
dewthedru

Strength:

I suppose they're light

I had a fairly simple fall about 6 weeks ago and got up and noticed the front wheel was all jacked up. Thought I must have landed on it harder than I thought. A few rides later, on a new rim and spokes, I did the same thing. Hit a root and felt the rim just buckle. Completely cracked at the seam after a fairly innocuous fall. I had the pleasure carrying my bike for 2+ miles through mosquito valley. Yay me.

I can't imagine that my crashes were bad enough to destroy the wheels. I rode for years and years on a set of Dave's Speed Dream without anything like this happening. Can it be that I just got unlucky or that 29'r wheels are more fragile?

I'm not very happy with going through two front wheels in 3-4 rides. If I could afford to do so, I'd swap them out for some American Classics or Speed Dreams.

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels

[May 10, 2008]
Jason

Strength:

These came on my 2006 GF 293 29er. They are not light and the spokes were loose when I got the bike, machine built I imagine. I am only 160lbs, but ride hard on technically demanding terrain (lots of rocks, log hops, and stumps etc). I beat the snot out of these and have not pulled a spoke out yet.

They are flexy even though I'm a lightweight. I am an amateur wheel truer so that may be part of the reason they don't stay true for long.

If you are light and are looking for something cheap to beat on I recommend these, but I wouldn't spend much on them. Buy new skewers, the bonti's suck.

only 26ers

[Mar 04, 2008]
Red Snail Racing

Strength:

The hubs seem to hold up fine.

The spokes can't pull out of the rim fast enough

To set the scene, I'm a 210#, 47 yr old, endurance rider and racer. These wheels have never seen more than an 18 inch drop, ever. They have seen many roots, rocks and log obstacles. Last fall I noticed that a spoke was pulling out of the rear rim, taking with it a 3/8 inch strip if metal the width of the eye. After taking it to the LBS, they told me Trek would not warranty the rim, as it was a breakage through use problem. So be it, how ever after using it once in the snow this winter, nothing cleans a rim and tire like snow, I fond another tear of similar size pulling down the side of the rim at another location. Then upon further inspection, I found cracks around 6 other eyelets. It been many miles since I’ve broken a spoke, much less tore 8 of them out of a rim. Trek/Bontrager should be embarrassed to sell a product as lame as this rim

Mavic, Salsa

[Dec 22, 2007]
Raoul Castaneda

Strength:

Light, strong rim

Hub flange

Bike came with the race lites, I rode XC one month no races. The front hub flange must have cracked because I found pieces on the garage floor one morning- it was in a bike stand and 4 spokes tried to escape. That was weird because I have race lites on my road bike and ran 10,000+ with no trouble, not even worn bearings. I replaced the hub (rare 24 hole) with a blue Richey and no problems since. The rims run true and hold up to up to 4 ft drops. I'm 190lbs on a hard tail, so they take a beating. Buy them for cross country if you want a light midrange wheel. Why spend 800 or more?

XTR, Mavic cross max, Richey Rolf's, Campy