Bontrager Race Lite Wheelset

Race Lite

Bontrager Race Lite

Leif Eriksson   [Nov 08, 2014]
Strength:

Hubs and spokes have benn great, however...

.....In respons to Ride100miles (2009..) problems with Bontrager rxl road wheels I can confirm that there still is an issue with cracking rims.

I bougth my madone 5.9 late 2004, but after a few years I had my rear Bontrager RXL wheel cracked and for that reason it was swapped by the agent. No problems so far. Now, after this incident they cracked for a SECOND and aTHIRD time. I do understand that there is a 5 year warranty, but it seems that after such a long time they still havent been able to solve this problem with cracking rims. Am I alone with tis problem?
I am not overweight ( 178 punds),havent been carless and know how to handle a road bike.
I am not going to cry over the response I got from my dealer, but there will be no new Bontrager wheels in future.

Ride100miles, what happened with your appeal to register complaints in 2009?

Zachariah   All Mountain Rider [Aug 05, 2013]
Strength:

~ Wide, 23mm ID rim
~ Tall hub flanges makes stronger wheel
~ Cool graphics and 28 white spokes, per wheel(subjective)
~ Bontrager TLR molded insert, more durable than NoTubes rim tape
~ Stays true
~ Beefy Scandium rim box section
~ Solid 142x12mm rear axle; 15mm Thru-axle front hubs

~ Made in China
~ Heavy @2004g for wheelset
~ Slow freehub engagement
~ Loud freehub

The wheels accelerate slowly - but once up to speed, they hold momentum quite well. Put a foot down on rocky technical climbs, and re-starting becomes a pain, due to the non-instantaneous engagement of the freehub. These hubs are made by Formula, and are quite heavy. Bontrager claims 1765g for the wheelset - but that is ONLY for the QR version(100mm/F and 135mm/R) wheelset. However, the wide rim profile and semi-aero rim bed, does offer a degree of cornering control and rotating efficiency.

Don't pay more than $350 for these heavy wheels used. The 2013-up Bontrager RXL wheels are once again featuring convertible DT Swiss hubs, and optional carbon rims. Try to get a 29er wheelset that weighs below 1700g for the most significant performance benefit. These wheels are okay for the interim - but nothing to write home about...will be upgrading soon.

Similar Products Used: ~ Mavic Cr29ssmax
~ Enve Composites Carbon 29er
~ Specialized Roval Carbon 29
~ DT Swiss M1700 29er
Misha   Cross Country Rider [Jan 03, 2012]
Strength:

Low weight

Bend easily

I bought a used Trek 8000, from a cross country rider, who is terrified even by jumping from pavement. Checked the bike by myself and in a shop.

The front wheel bended when i was jumping over a rock (2 inches, NOT a drop), on a known trails where i ride for 5 years and never had any problems with Mavics on other bikes or on my friends bikes. I weigh 75 kg. Broken collar bone and 4 month without riding.

Similar Products Used: Mavic 117, 317
Jon Bainbridge   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2010]
Strength:

Ok for almost 3-years

Found cracks around all rim spoke holes on the sorocket side.

Not happy with this product. I'am 69 years old and don't abuse my bike. Trying to see what Trek or Bontrager will do to help me.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Select 27000 milews no problem
billh71@gmail.com   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2010]
Strength:

Tubeless, improved stiffness over stock wheelset on 08 Specialized FSRxc. Didn't weigh them but think they are a little lighter. Spin smooth.

Difficult to mount tire.

Only one trailride on them yet, and with tubes in. I look forward to trying them with tubeless setup. Non tubeless Captains sealed up well with Stans. No need for heavy UST. Look forward to a quality kevlar bead tire for even more weight loss. These wheels pedal and handle great. Feels more connected to my input. I got alot of extra value because I caught them on first hours of clearance at LBS. Scooped them up fast. I would have given them a higher overall if there were a more clear weight advantage over my stock rims. May not be fair. I don't know if tubeless wheels add weight for the design. I don't think I could have done better for $250.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss 445 with Deore and stout hubs.
Todd23   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2009]
Strength:

Light, fast, stays true with little maintenance

Some flex (although I am over 200 lbs!)

Nice, light wheel that has served me well for 7 years. I don't abuse my bike but I'm no pu$$y either. Rim finally started to crack, and one spoke started to pull through. Not bad for that long of a service life.

Ride100Miles   Racer [Sep 27, 2009]
Strength:

I have a set of Bonrager Race X-Lite road wheels that developed a cracked flange and hub shell. Bontrager's other aluminum rim road wheels have had problems with stress cracks on the rims near the spoke eyelets.

Since a cracked hub can lead to a crash and injury, I have initiated the product recall process with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you have also experienced cracked flanges, hub shells, or rims, especially if they lead to crash, email The CPSC or fill out a form online at:
info@cpsc.gov

With strength in numbers we'll get safer wheels on our bikes.

Everything but the spokes

Avoid Bontrager wheels at all costs.

Similar Products Used: Vuelta XRP Comp, Shimano WH-R560, HED Jet
mordecai113   Racer [Sep 10, 2009]
Strength:

Sweet Hub, Smooth ride at high speeds, Very Aero.

After appx 18 months, was riding flat terrain. Real wheel came out of true. Had to quick release the brakes to get home. 6 of the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel have developed stress cracks. This could have been potentially serious. Remains to be seen if Bontrager will replace. It is warranted. They need to recall these wheels. The bike shop knew exactly what was up the minute I went in..happened before.

I would not recommend these wheels under any circumstances, even if they cover the warranty I will never be comfortable with them under me. These wheels need to be recalled