BombShell Fat Daddy Wheelset

Perfect Downhill / Dual Slalom / Mountain Cross wheelset. Available in 26"x32 or 26"x36 hole. Fatdaddy 1.75 Rims. Quick Release front and rear hubs. Available in wheelset or rim. Formerly called Fatboy.

Brendan   [Oct 25, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, STRONG, wide rim, nice engagement, easy to seat tires, easy to swap out front thru axle

The adapters for thru axle are a little annoying if you have to take the front wheel off, but it's not a big deal. The customer service is a little odd, but haven't had issues yet. Hard to find. Only place that seems to be selling them these days is the company website.

I've abused these to hell. I've tacoed the front wheel, trued it best I could and kept riding. That was 5 years ago. These wheels are still awesome. When I get enough dough, I'm crash refunding the front wheel. For about the same as I'd pay for a new rim I can get a brand new front wheel. I couldn't be happier with these things. For me as a bigger guy, all that weight weenie crap gets a little aggravating. Yes these are heavy, but so am I. I need something that's heavy to put up with the abuse I'm going to dish out. Hell, if they made rims out of stainless steel I'd buy those. Till then, there's these.

Treesworld   Weekend Warrior [Jun 17, 2011]
Strength:

Strength and width

Weight

These rims have taken all the abuse that I can throw at them. At 240 lbs I have broken about every part of my bike, I destroyed the OEM rims. I even mounted them on CK hubs for better engagement. These have survived over 2 years of abuse with only limited truing. By limited I mean once after I changed the hubs. My only complaint is the weight.

zenkem   Weekend Warrior [Jan 07, 2011]
Strength:

The Hubs rolling resistance is one of the best I've seen, even better then most shimono hubs I've delt with

None, weight dosn't matter when your a Clyde

Indestructible Wheel set!!! Been bombing on this wheel set for almost a year now and have zero time maintaining 'em. With a riding weight well over 250lbs this wheel set has taken everything I have thrown at it and still rolls true after more then 1000 miles.

The only negative I have for this Wheel set is Bombshells customer service...thus the 4 Chili rating. If you have patience when dealing with this company in the end you will end up with an excellent product.

Similar Products Used: Ryno Lite, Bontrager and Huffy
insanitylevel9   Downhiller [Dec 12, 2010]
Strength:

nice and wide

heavy as hell, not very strong

if your looking for a tuff wheel look else wear, ive been using them for maybe 4 5 months and in that time ive had to true them close to once a week. after about 2 months of hard riding they had a flat spot that you could feel riding on flat ground. now after 4/5 months i cracked the seem in the wheel and need a new one. all and all i wouldn't recommend these to any one.

Similar Products Used: mavics salsas and other companies
GoremanX   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2009]
Strength:

Bomb proof, amazingly strong, super wide, look great

weight

I weigh 250 pounds. These are the first wheels to survive the punishment I dish out, even after 1000 miles. I ride them everywhere from pavement to rough mountain forest trails, and I do not take good care of them. I just abuse them endlessly. I trued them initially after purchase, then I never had to put a spoke wrench to them again. They continue to run strong and true.

I run these "ghetto" tubeless using half BMX tubes, and they've never failed me in that respect either. The super-wide rim makes it incredibly easy to mount tires, yet once those tires are inflated, they're on there to stay. I'm currently running a set of studded winter tires on them (also "ghetto" tubeless).

So far, the hubs have been reliable and strong, despite my constant hammering and my use of a downhill (11-26) cassette. The freewheel isn't showing any damage whatsoever from the cassette cogs. Coasting was a little loud initially, but now that it's broken-in, it sounds no louder than any other freewheel. The front hub has seen some pounding, but it's still good as new. Being able to convert from 20mm thru-axle to regular QR is brilliant. I use the 20mm method on my bike.

Customer service from Bombshell is terrible. I'd rather never have to deal with them again if at all possible. Their communication sucks. Hopefully the wheels will just continue to work well and I won't need any more customer service.

Similar Products Used: Alex Rims DM24 (vomit), generico crap, etc.
wsccj85   Downhiller [Jun 12, 2009]

Weight; this wheelset is a little bit on the heavy side.

The Fat Daddy wheelset is worth the $$. I've ridden these wheels HARD for the last 2 years on BOTH of my bikes; DH and AM. They have put up with everything I've dished out. Great for my DH bike, and because I recently broke my rear wheel on my AM bike (Giant Reign) I slapped the Bombshells on it and they are great. I was worried they would be a litle bit heavy for the AM riding, but they are fine; I can pedal up mostly every hill I was riding with my stock wheels (WTB Laser Disc Trail), and the Bombshells only add another pound to the bike.

I recommend these wheels to someone that wants a STRONG, stiff platform for anything from Downhill to All Mountain riding. If you are a weight weenie, these wheels are not for you.

Similar Products Used: N/A
R-DUB   Weekend Warrior [Nov 20, 2008]
Strength:

everything. these wheels are sick.

none really. maybe weight...if your a wuss.

have a set of bombshell fatboys and run the 20mm front.
the swichit hub is amazing. the stiffness is unbelievable.
these wheels are the best wheels i have ever owned. i have ridden these wheels very hard for over three years. i have only tightened one spoke after i landed a jump almost completely sideways. may be a little heavy for wussies, but i weigh 200lbs dry so for me i have had many problems with detroying wheels. my riding buddy has to get his wheels trued every week. i keep telling him to buy these wheels and quit throwing your money away. i plan on trying the easton am havoc wheels next. i hope they do not disappoint.
if they do i will put the fatboys back on and sell the eastons on ebay.

Similar Products Used: mavic crossmax, shimanoxt/ryhno lite, sun ringle s.u.v.'s
Anthony Uva   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

Durability, Width, Looks

Weight, Alloy nipples

When i got the wheels the spokes were loose, i tightened them up but they loosened again, i fixed this issue by replacing all the alloy nipples with brass ones. But other than that it's awesome.

Durability- i ran a diablo domination race this past weekend (Aug 4/5) and i flatted at the top 1/3 of the course at a rocky section. i ran the rest of the course on flat through moderately rocky terain, minor drops (due to lack of speed), and many roots. The rim held up beautifully! (minus the scratch where the rock hit my tire causing the flat.) There were no dings or wobbles on the sidewalls of the rim at all.

The hubs are pretty standard but easy to take apart and clean. Very happy with these rims/wheels. Buy some, swap the nipples, and enjoy!

4/5 value due to nipples