Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Pure XCR Wheelset

These rims were designed purely for cross country riding, but from early in our development program we were impressed at just how much these wheels could handle, and how smooth and light they felt. Combined with the facts that these rims are welded, have stainless steel eyelets, utilize a strong rim profile, and are built with 32 spokes laced three cross in the front and rear, you can ride these wheels with confidence.

RockadileSX   [Jun 25, 2014]
Strength:

You will become a stronger person as you sit and stew over why this "company" just simply won't respond to emails or calls.

Your heart, when you realize, you are never, ever, going to get a call back, or even email from the company when you simply want to order some new parts.

DON'T BUY FROM THESE GUYS. YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM. ALL I WANT TO DO IS GET SOME REPAIR PARTS (BECAUSE THE XCR HUBS ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM WITH ALL THE STRENGTH OF MICROWAVED BUTTER), OR POSSIBLY BUY ANOTHER HUB FROM THEM.
SEVERAL NICE AND HUMBLE EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS GETS YOU NOWHERE!
NICE GUYS FINISH LAST WITH THIS COMPANY.
NO MORE MR. NICE GUY.

itsgettingbetter   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2011]
Strength:

Great looking and very light for a reasonable price.

The freewheel makes a heck of a racket. You certainly wont sneak up on anyone.

These things are solid with very little flex and for the price you cannot get a lighter wheelset. I upgraded to a better and lighter spoke and nipple combination and have no complaints. I have put these wheels through some misery and intend to ride them in some local races this year. I haven't even trued them yet. I don't know about the base model but for a reasonable upgrade price these wheels are a great substitute for higher end options.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager/Deore and Sun
Dirtstud   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2011]
Strength:

Look great, not much flex and very light for this price range.

The freewheel makes a hell of a racket. You certainly won't sneak up on anyone.

I'm a big fan of this wheelset. One of the biggest problems I had was the weight of my old set but did not want to spend thousands upgrading to a high end light set. I bought these in August 2010 and never looked back. I spent some extra and upgraded to better and lighter spokes/nipples and I don't have any of the complaints some other reviewers have. I ride 50+ miles a week on this wheelset and intend to enter some local races on them this year. These wheels have been a good substitute to a higher end option.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager and Sun
Joe DePalma   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2011]
Strength:

Light, fast, and stays true, even after the pounding I've given it.

None so far

I bought just the front wheel on eBay for $56. This is a race-quality wheel and is extremely well built by BWW and has surpassed everything I've thrown at it. It has taken trails, hills, rough roads and has not let me down, even though it is a very light wheel. For what I spent, it has been great.

Similar Products Used: Matrix 550 that came on bike, Alex DM24
teecat   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2010]
Strength:

Good value, excellent build quality

Rear hub skipping

Excellent build on Mavic 719 rims. Stiff, light, strong. Agressive trail riding has not put them .001" out of true in over 1200 mi.

However, rear hub started skipping within several hundred miles. Great CS from BWW quickly sent a new spring/pawl kit and after a simple and quick replacement, it's working good since, but rebuilding this freewheel will clearly be a regular maintenance task (OK as long as the parts are available). Have not noticed freehub body chewed up yet like other reviewers. Hope BWW will address this weakness with an improved vendor for the rear hub. Front hub is light/stiff and bearings are great.

rich   Cross Country Rider [Jul 11, 2010]
Strength:

Nice hubs. Very light.

Destroyed these wheels in less than a year. @ 145lbs and normal cross country use. Spoke gauge was too small and tensioning too high. When re-trueing the spoke threads pulled out of nipples(dull thread die). No returned calls once wheels were sold. Site does not post any reviews(tried twice).

Very light and pretty. If you hang your bike in your living room and weigh it, instead of riding get these wheels. If you want to RIDE your bike don't buy them.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Crosstrail. XTR-517. XT-717.etc.
ryanweeger   Racer [May 20, 2010]
Strength:

The product is extremely durable and continues to spin smoothly without any rebuilds or maintenance required. Been riding and racing on these wheels since 2008. Including Multiple Xterra triathlons (Temecula, Maui), multiple endurance races like Counting Coup, Vision Quest, Traverse, and dozens of Cross Country races like Idyllwild Spring Challenge, US Cup, Rim Nordic series. I have always relied on these hubs throughout my racing and training and have never been let down.

I have really enjoyed using the BWW Product. I also train on the road and have used the BWW Blackset Race wheelset for all my road training. That wheelset is LIGHT and FAST. Couldnt ask for more, their products are very underrated and unknown but sure to change quickly once cyclists realize the value of an excellent well made product with great local customer service and attention to detail. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse wheelsets and products rock, I will continue to race and train on their stuff in the future.

Similar Products Used: I have used DT Swiss 240s, 340s, Shimano XTR and XT hubs, all on Stans Rims. I must say these far exceeded my expectations and are easily comparable to DT Swiss 240s in their dependability, smooth bearing operation, and solidly built freewheel body.
handlebarstar   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2010]
Strength:

Price. Strength/weight ratio

Purchased this wheelset about 9 months ago and have been pleasantly surprised with the performance.I have the red BWW hubs laced to the black XCR rims with DT comp spokes. I am not a light rider at 195 lbs. and ride some what aggressively. I have yet to have a single problem. The wheels are built well and look great. I have had no problems with the rear hub as some have stated but will update the review if I do. Thanks BWW for a great wheelset at a great price!

Similar Products Used: Too many to list.
dialedbike   Cross Country Rider [Apr 13, 2010]
Strength:

Light, spin well

not built well, hub very flexy, casette free hub body material way too soft

I got the bww hubs built on WTB Laser disc. Admittedly not the best rim but, the wheels came out of the box NOT TRUE and NOT DISHED properly. I called up BWW and they promptly told me they were built well and the rims where entirely at fault. I've been riding and wrenching for over 25 years. These wheels were built like crap. I retensioned everything and rode them anyway. The hubs are very flexy. Just recently I was taking apart my bike to clean it up and get ready for the season. I had to use some force to remove the casette. When I got it off I realized that the casette had torn into the freehub body. In some cases gouges had torn half way through the width of the splines on the freehub body. WTF!!? I called up BWW and left a longwinded message. No call back. I suppose the freehub body damage was the fault of my casette and not their cheap hubs. Bottom line is they make a wheel that for the money is cheaper than you can buy the parts elsewhere so buy the wheels and have somebody else build them right. Don't use the BWW hubs they are not a good product if you ride frequently. I weigh about 190 and ride 5 - 6 days a week.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano XT, Chris King
Teebird   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2010]
Strength:

Great Customer Service, great build, customizable

Rear Hub is useless

Great looking set of wheels. I had the Mavic 719's built with red Pure XCR hubs and red spoke nipples. Awesome looking wheels, stay straight, etc. The problem is with the rear hub skipping. I replaced the pawls and rear hub body 2 times myself. BWW's customer service is awesome. They sent them out to me. I still had issues with skipping. I sent the wheel back, on my own dime, and they laced in a new hub. I am now having issues with the new hub. I bent the springs to create more tension and this helped, but I still get some skipping. It's a bummer. I may ask for a new freehub body and pawls and give the wheelset to my lightweight son.
BWW has great service and I know they don't manufacture the hubs, but they need to choose a different hub supplier or have this one improved.
P.S. BWW did state they would be offering a steel freehub body replacement so the cassettes don't gouge. This won't help the skipping problem, however.