Atomlab AirCorp Wheelset

AirCorp

MTB and BMX models

Doug Brummett   Weekend Warrior [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

Look tuff

Aren't tuff

Following up on my previous review. I have taken these wheels apart and rebuilt using the rims onto nicer hubs.

Rear hub is still going strong, but swapped it to my SS so I could use the bolted axle.

Front hub sucked from the start. I began to get annoyed with the front hub right around the time I wrote my first review. I noticed that the wheel wasn't rigid in the forks. Even with the axle tight and everything locked down I could still grab the wheel and tug it side to side. There was a noticeable clunk/play in the hub. Upon inspection I noted that nothing was actually wrong with it other than the design. The way that the cones and spacer pass through the hub allows things to shift. Not a good thing IMO. I got rid of this hub. No love lost there.

The rims are still doing fine. They aren't the highest quality, but they get the job done. Only time I am bothered by them is when I am truing them. That is when the poor rim joint finishing and wobbley side walls are abnoxious. Again, not the end of the world but not something I would recommend to a friend.

Similar Products Used: d321 wheelset with onyx hubs, 521 wheelset with hayes hubs
John Dillard   Downhiller [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Looks sick, clicks loud(so hikers here you right before you run them over)

The bolts on the ends of the hub would always loosen, I broke the cassette cage(when i was pedaling, the cassette cage gave way under the load and would spin freely)

I would not recommend buying this wheel, I bought it from adrenaline bikes as the whole wheel with the aircorp rim(works great), but after three days of Snow Summit the hub gave way, now adrenaline bikes is special ordering the parts(i pray the warranty covers it, from the other reviews I read about atomic, they probably will not)), and they acted like it was bomb proof and would be the last wheel I would ever have to buy(it lasted two weeks). If you are interested in there rims then just buy a shimano hub and have them laced. My stock shimano hub has been going for a year with no problems(just me destroying the mavic rim).

Similar Products Used: mavic d321, bombshell fatboys, 24" double wides
Mick Jonson   Downhiller [Jan 19, 2004]
Strength:

light enough to race on. strong enough to beat up.

atomlab customer service is a joke. other than that, the wheelset is fine. surprised to hear the other reviews below.

They worked for me. They're not too expensive. You can climb with 'em, and still beat the heck of 'em on the way down.

Similar Products Used: 321, 521, lots of XT hubs. wtb wheels, etc.
Kyle Aurley   Downhiller [Jan 21, 2004]
Strength:

Bolt on axels are stiff. Easiest way to get the lateral rigidity of through axels without getting a new frame and fork. All bearings still running fine and the freewheel still makes the cool 'whhhirrrrrringgg' sound - after 1 year of abuse. No flat spots on rims and the seam seems to be holding up okay.

the rims are pinned - not welded. But they've held up fine for a year... and I ride a lot of urban stuff in the winters - cased more than a few stair sets, and these things haven't exploded on me yet. Needed to re-work the wheel when new... poor build.

These wheels are great. I had to re-run 'em through my wheel truing stand when I picked em up for Xmass last year, seems they were built in a bit of a rush, as they were laterally and radially way out of true. Spent 30 minutes on em. Then checked the axle tension on the bearings, they were a bit too loose. Re-built that in about 45 minutes. seems most of the complaints below could have been fixed on the front end - before they were ridden.

Similar Products Used: most of the Mavic line. Arrows... a bunch of cheaper hoops too.
Mike Baker   Downhiller [Jan 27, 2004]
Strength:

Look sharp. Still in true after a season of racing. Also used the aircorps for my urban bike after blowing up a mavic521 from a stairset. They're held up fine on there too - but I think I need to spend some time on the wheel before racing again, they're getting pretty out of true.

Have you ever tried to contact atomlab? Don't. It's a waste of time. Same with their Canadian distributor, Yodobike.

They'll last anyone, I think. I've had a pair a bit over 1.5 years and they still look like they'll last another season at least. Maybe change the bearings in the hubs this year, and need to re-true them. But that seems to be it. I picked them up online pretty cheap (350canadian), so I'm real happy with the purchase -beats spending 700 or 800 on them new.

Similar Products Used: 521, rhynolites, etc.
Adam Mathews   Racer [Feb 13, 2004]
Strength:

They make me ride fast cuz i never worry about things breaking, wobbling, etc. After 6 months, I came to trust the wheels - what more do ya need.

none yet.

Great wheelset. Not too expensive, but not as cheap as some Shimano garbage either... they're in that nice comfortable middle ground between compromise and bling-bling idiocy. Raced on em for 6 months and they're true as the day they were born, er, I mean laced.

Similar Products Used: Everything from King to Shimano Deore.
Doug Brummett   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2003]
Strength:

Look tuff in all black with a few white decals. 20mm front wheel available. Realatively inexpensive wheelset for free ride setup.

They aren't light, rear came not dished correctly, don't hold true very well.

While I do think that these wheels are a good deal I don't find them to be exceptionally strong. My hand built wheelset would hold true better and was also about a pound lighter for the set. Maybe with some tlc from a good mechanic they will hold up for a while.

I noticed that the rear came from the factory about 5-10mm out of dish. This makes the wheel sit off center in the frame. I decided to throw them on my bike and ride instead of spending time truing up a "new" wheelset. I noticed the rear wheel had some side to side wobble by the end of the first ride. Now, a couple of weeks in, the front also has some side to side. Nothing to write home on, but they could use a true. This isn't a big deal for me as a mechanic, but for other riders trowing down $30 on a nearly new wheelset for truing might be a bummer.

For now I am treating these as thrasher wheels and intentionally beating on them. Time will tell. If they withstand for a year or so I will be back with a follow up review.

Similar Products Used: typically I hand build my wheels. My last comprable set was 521 rims, hayes hubs, and st 14ga spokes.
Joey   [Jun 18, 2005]
Strength:

looks the badgers nadgers, strong, good bearings in hubs

errrrrr

unbeleivably strong. i weigh almost 16 stone, and i have had to get it trued once, basically because i was doing whips past 90 degrees and landing like that. i have used it very harshly for 1 year 2 months, and i had a 48 spoke halo SAS, which cracked after 10 months of use. buy these wheels, major bargain.