American Classic MTB Race 29 Wheelset

MTB Race 29

The MTB Race 29” is designed for strength, durability, and stiffness. With a whopping 28mm wide ride, you can ride lighter, smallerTires asTheTire will spread out acrossThe wide rim without sacrificingTraction and handling. Bead barbTechnology hooks onTheTire beadTo ensureThatTheTire doesn't float around onThe wide rim. RIMS: MTB RaceTubeless 340gr Aluminum Disc Rims 29"SPOKES: AC Race Round 14 /16 Gauge Spokes Black, AC Aluminum Nipples Silver, 32h 3-Cross Front and RearTubelessWEIGHT: Fr

jonw9   Racer [Feb 13, 2015]
Strength:

Light and wide. When them held together, it is a fast wheelset.

Fragile, Poor customer service

These came stock on my Niner RDO Limited Edition. The first wheel I tried to set up tubeless failed at the joint before it had and miles on it. The wheel was shipped back to AC who stated I must have slammed it in my trunk, and no warrant coverage, but for $400 they would rebuild with a new rim. It took contact from where I bought the bike and Niner to get it replaced (and I think the replacement came from Niner).
Late that same season, I was having issues keeping air in the rear tire, even though it was topped with Stan's. Disassembly showed the rim had cracked between adjacent spokes, through the valve hole. Again, warranty would not cover, and quoted the same $400 rebuild. In all, this $900 wheelset would have cost an additional $800 to make rideable for even a year. Many other options available for that $1,700 price tag.

Similar Products Used: Stan's Arch, Stan's Crest, Loaded Carbon Xlite, Easton XC
tboy   Cross Country Rider [May 16, 2014]
Strength:

Light. Fast.

Durability. Serviceability

I really wanted to like these wheels but they simply are not durable at all. The rims dent so easily at tubeless pressure making the who concept them being a race wheel just pointless. These wheels are now obsolete considering the offerings of other wheel makers.

Nicholas Tan   [Jan 09, 2014]
Strength:

Light. Super light.

The noisy plinking sound from the nipple.

Not suitable for heavy rider. I am 82kg rider and the plinking sound always comes back after i re-tension. From my own opinion, it is suitable for rider weight below 65kg. I have sell my rim to my friend and he is around 60kg and it work fine for him.

MannyM   Weekend Warrior [Jul 15, 2013]
Strength:

Super Light super fast wheel set

None so far...

At first I'm concerned about strength and durability. Until really put it in a harsh test did some small jumps fast technical descent hit some rocks here and there 2-3 ft drop and a lot more. This wheels earned my trust! Amazing wheel. The hub? super smooth rolling.

Eric   Cross Country Rider [Apr 08, 2013]
Strength:

They are light.

All the positive reviews here seem to be 'as new' reviews. I have approx 4200 miles on these wheels which, came with my Niner Air9 RDO. The wheels only lasted 1 season. On the rear wheel, the rims have failed - cracks around spoke eyes and spoke pulling out 1-3mm on eight of the driveside spokes. I am a 175 xc rider. I have owned several 'light' wheelsets before. Typically, my Stan's ZTR rims will go 2-3 seasons before I've had to replace them. Other - compared to nice hubs (Dt swiss, King), the engagement is terrible. Once you switch to these hubs, yes, you will notice. Finally, I had tough time getting multiple tires to run tubeless. With Stans, you can deflate the tire and have to exert pretty good effort to remove from the rim. With these, if you loose pressure the tire simply falls off. Can you say 'DNF' if you flat during a race?

Poor rim durability (1 season = 400 miles) rim eyelets have failed.
Hubs still low quality
Poor ability and robustness to run tubeless.

Similar Products Used: Stans's ZTR rims
mike   [Feb 05, 2013]
Strength:

This is a stiff light wheelset. Haven't put to many miles on yet, maybe a few hundred, all in the snow covered trails of southern ohio and some in WV.

This upgrade to my giant xct shed three pounds imediatly, an incredible difference. I am a 160lb expert rider. It didn't take long for these wheels to earn my trust.

Noclutch   Cross Country Rider [Nov 02, 2012]
Strength:

Super light, wide, easy tubeless set upl (with Schwalbes), hub engagement fine for my needs

noisy spokes/nipple-rim interface/spoke-hub interface?

I've been using these wheels for about 50 miles per week for the last 6 months or so while riding smooth XC to rocky small mountain trails. I weigh 150# and ride fairly light on the bike. Thus far my only complaint is the "plinking" noise that they make. They did it when new and under warranty, AC graciously re-tensioned and relieved spoke wind-up and the noise went away for many hundreds of miles. However, recently the rear has begun to plink again. They have stayed in true fairly well but suspect I am losing tension again, probably because of their light build. If they didn't make this noise I'd give them 5 chilies for sure

Similar Products Used: WTB Stryker
Bonty Duster
Eric B   All Mountain Rider [Jul 23, 2012]
Strength:

weight, stiffness

none yet

Thought I'd post early to bolster the info available. These wheels seem pretty sick. I'm about 195 and can be rough on wheels. I'm riding a h/t 29er with 80 mm Reba up front. Although I picked my lines and threaded some rocks maybe more than usual I didn't ride any slower or less aggressively. The first ride was to the top of Green Mt. here on the Front Range and right down Box of Rocks, a baby head strewn descent that's maybe 2 miles. The next was a bigger 40 miler up Gold Dust out to Bakers Tank and down into Breckenridge behind the ice rink. Then back up Moonstone and out Boreas Pass to drop back into Gold Dust-an 8.5 mile mostly downhill through variable smooth to rooty and rocky single track. Although I picked my lines a little more than normal I didn't really hold back on the wheels. They are noticeably faster and really stiff. It was odd feeling the stiffness but not really feeling any weight. I am running Specialized Captains with the Control casing at about 35 psi. Next ride I'm going to back off the psi just a bit but not enough to clap the sidewall down to the rim. I'll report more if these things crap out but I'm pretty impressed out of the gate. Very noticeable acceleration and way faster up hill. I pushed a higher gear than normal and they felt like they still had much less resistance than any prior wheels. Really nice wheelset. The hubs are really quiet and engage reasonably well. Not like Kings but probably better than the Hopes. Way quieter than either of these if you're into quiet. I kinda like the clicky scream of a loud freewheel though.

Similar Products Used: none. usually run beefier, but nice wheels. Stans flow laced to Hope Pro IIs most recently.
Silentfoe   [Apr 23, 2012]
Strength:

Wide, Light and very strong. Lots of axle options.

A bit polarizing in the graphics department.

Weighed in at 1422 grams. I got mine with a 15mm front axle and a 10mm rear. They arrived in the box without the included AC valves. AC was notified and they sent out a set right away but it still took a week of ground shipping before they arrived. I weigh in at 205lbs and wanted a light weight wheelset that could handle my heft. I am pretty nice to wheels as I ride and I wasn't anticipating any problems. I have hundreds of miles and several races on them now and I feel like they are a great wheel set. They replaced a set of DT Swiss wheels on my race bike and the difference in weight and perceived spin up is noticeable. Initial set up for tubeless was a mixed bag. The front, a Schwalbe Rocket Ron, went on easy and aired right up. The rear was a different story. I am using a Maxxis Aspen and after several failed attempts (very loose fit), I finally installed a tube, snapped in the bead, removed one side, pulled out the tube, installed the valve, removed core and fought with it for another 5 minutes before it snapped in. So far they remain very true. I did have a burp flat in Moab during a race. It initially burped once (rear, on off camber rock, running 24psi) but remained solid enough to ride on. About 10 miles later it burped again and was just soft enough to tap the rim. I had to throw in a tube at that point. Comparing these to carbon, I no longer feel the draw of a carbon wheel. They are plenty stiff and just as light. The price is perfect for what you get. Disclaimer: I did get these at a great discount. I highly recommend them.

Jeff   All Mountain Rider [Apr 19, 2012]
Strength:

Super light.. Wide rims (28mm) to work well with lower PSI tubeless tires. Looks! Love the black/white/red color combo.

They say "Tubeless" in large font on the rims. Is that really necessary??

I've had these for a few months now with over 500 miles on them, including many 40+ mile days in the saddle on rough trails. They are true as an arrow. They are a great substitute for carbon wheels costing over twice as much. I weigh 175 lbs and ride aggressively, and they're holding up fine so far.