American Classic MTB Disc Single Speed 29 Wheelset

MTB Disc Single Speed 29

With the fast-rolling American Classic 29in Single Speed Tubeless Wheelset mounted up to your ride, you'll blast over rubble fields. Ultra-stiff thanks to deep-V double-wall rims and high hub flanges, this wheelset not only hauls ass, but features a valve-stem identifying spoke to boot. That way, if you flat during a race with your heart trying to jump out of your chest, you can quickly find the valve stem and make a fast fix.

dryheat?   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2009]
Strength:

Lightweight, Build quality, easy adjust bearings.

Trying to find a shop that knows how to work on them.

After 2 years of riding and never having them serviced, noticed my spokes were a little loose on the non-disc side. Took them to a shop that said, that's normal for the non-disc side to be loose because the wheel is dished??? That seemed like complete BS and I should have walked away, but they assured me they've worked on AC wheels before. Got the wheels back and they told me they had to replace 2 spokes because they cracked during adjustment process. The bike mechanic told me I should save them for race days only, but what does he know. 2 yrs, in wholy rocky hell AZ without a hiccup is pretty good. Even though I've got plenty of dings, dents, and flat spots, they're still holding up well. I'm 140lbs soaking wet, so who knows what a larger rider's life span would be with them.

Similar Products Used: 1st 29er wheelset
dsw   Racer [Apr 13, 2009]
Strength:

Light,light,light=fast. Durable. Low maintenance.

None. Cog fit seems a bit loose but has caused no problems

I'm starting season 3 with these wheels and have not touched them yet. Prior to Leadville last year I had my shop check the wheels they said good to go. I have many dents, flat spots, etc from running low pressure tubeless and they stay true. Rim works well with Stans but you must use the 26" rim strip. I went 8 months without touching the tires including several marathon races & the LV100
I will race into 09 on these and probably replace with another set this summer as back-up. Running light wheels on a 29 is a must for fast spool up, which is a must on a 29er. If there is a lighter, as strong wheel out there for less money let me know about it.

Similar Products Used: WTB, Mavic, etc
JackRabitt   Racer [Mar 13, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight, fairly stiff

Durability

I've had these wheels for almost a year and have not been happy with them.
The only thing they would be good for is as a race only wheelset.
The rims dent very easily, and the hubs need tightening every 6 or 7 rides. Also, I just broke a spoke which also ruined the spoke hole and now have to replace the rim. AC won't just send me a rim, I have to send the wheel to them to get it repaired and it'll cost about $200.
I would not recomend these wheels for every-day use.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Cr29ssmaxx, Bontrager Duster
Alex Euler   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2008]
Strength:

Light, durable, AC customer service

Engagement is not the best

So far so good. Wheels have held up over pretty rocky/technical terrain. I'm relatively light though at 160#'s. Overall, a great value in my opinion. The wheels are light and very stiff. Rims are a bit narrow so if you like to run a high volume tire, that's something to consider. My only complaint is with the engagement, which could be a bit better, but isn't really any worse most. I recently converted from QR to bolt-on and the AC phone support was super helpful and responsive.