American Classic MTB Disc 26 Wheelset

• Quick Release: Cro-moly
  • Spacing: 135mm
  • Bearings Rear: 6803 C3 sealed stainless steel

iwannaapple   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2016]
Strength:

* Light
* My wife say's "They pop"
* Fast. Especially downhill and they seem to have extra kick going up hill
* Don't have to go tubeless

Haven't found any yet.

I have only had them for a month now. I ride 80 miles a week but just recently I did a 65 mile ride and I have a very good comparison to road bikes. These rims definitely made my ride faster and I easily equaled or surpassed many road bikes and ALL the hybrid bikes. Let me explain, to start the ride there is an immediate 1 1/2 mile hill where all road bikes got in the way. I could not stretch out and had to set back and only pass 20 or so. Did not want to make people wreck. BTR (Before the rims) I would have to struggle up that hill and all the road bikes would pass me.
During the ride, I did have to keep up the pace because even though they say it is not a race, you do want to get back before all the barbecue is gone. One of the many things that I noticed was that while some hills would slow me down (I think it is because my crank length is too long) I seemed to pick up speed much faster then the road bikes and I would catch right back up or I would just leave them behind.
Down hill was great. I easily kept up or again, I left a few behind. However, many roadbikes have more then 44 teeth in their big gear. While I only have 44 I was limited in top speed. My top speed was 34 while it seemed like a few were doing about 38. My advantage was that I can use ALL of my 44 teeth. There is a difference in having 52 teeth and being able to use all those teeth. In other words. One of the things these rims helped me with was to use all my teeth. I could pick up speed much faster then before before I expended too much energy.
Over all, during the 65 miles, my top speed was 34 and my average speed was 13.49 mph. While that doesn't sound like alot, I live in a very hilly area. Even the road bikers didn't go much faster. Maybe 17-18 mph for bikes above the $5000 mark. Believe me when I say, if your bike was under that mark, I was behind your draft getting ready to pass you. Love these rims. I can't say enough about them. And I was on a mountain bike!
I don't know how to post pictures but if your interested you can few pics of the dam ride (and Betty-my bike) here

Similar Products Used: Vuelta rims
DennisK   Cross Country Rider [Dec 23, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff and good looking. Good value for money.

The rear hub's pawls fail to fully engage at times. Claimed a replacement under warranty. CRC reacted promptly and passed the request on to AC's distributor. Yesterday I received word that the manufacturer and the rep will replace the entire wheelset as a sign of goodwill. It is normal for equipment to fail. It's great when the manufacturer and its distributors stand behind their products. Many thanks to American Classic, their British representative and of course CRC for the great service.

The wheels are great for xc use. I don't know how they will standup to the test of time (and my aggressive style of riding) - more on that in the months to come. Five chilis for lightness and stiffness and five chilis for customer service.

Similar Products Used: Alex, Mavic, Mach1
onza   Racer [Nov 13, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, stiff, light, "Bling" factor, hubs spin soooo smooth...and tubeless!

none yet

So far so VERY GOOD! I like these at least as much as my SLR's on my race bike. Not a bad price for such a nice wheelset. Wish they came with Ti skewers but stock ones aren't bad. Also, so far the regular Rocket Ron's tires I'm running tubeless (w/ stan's sealant) work and ride AWESOME!

Similar Products Used: Mavic SLR, Ellsworth XC, Stans
Jon Bonavente   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2009]
Strength:

FAST, few grams lighter than the VERY expensive XTR wheelset

Mavic Disc

Want SPEEED? Buy a pair now! With the MTB 26 Disc, climbs will be a lot easier and decends will be extremely faster. Great product!

Similar Products Used: none
pktrain   Racer [Jul 02, 2009]
Strength:

Light, strong, relatively inexpensive, conventional design means they're easy to maintain and get parts for...and they're FAAAAAAST...

Limited options for tubeless conversion, rims seem to dent easily, negative rep for having bad bearings in the past

These are amazing wheels. I've had them for 2 years and they are the fastest mountain bike wheels I have ever ridden. The bearings are liquid smooth and tight. The wheels haven't needed any maintenance after many hard rides in all conditions and crashes. I have no idea why more people don't ride these wheels. The new white version adds bling factor as well. In my opinion these should be the industry standard in terms of weight, strength, and overall cost.

Similar Products Used: Lots of high-end mix-and-match handbuilt wheels
Fandascious   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, Price, econimical to maintain.

Wheels can flex a bit, not for riders over 85kg.

Great wheels for the price, bearings cheap and easy to maintain, lighter than SLR or XTR wheels that are double the price. No problem with 2 years of riding although I don't do dropoffs with these wheels.

Similar Products Used: WTB Laserdisc XC, Mavic 317 with Dt Swiss Hubs, MAvic x119 with formula hubs, Alex rims with noname hubs
Sam   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2008]
Strength:

the click sound(awesome hub,strong,nice looking

like some people said, the rim is a little bit thicker, so longer valve on a tube is required, also the thicker rim gave more surface area for the rock to hit and easier to make dents, but this is mountain bike stuff, how could dents be avoid?

i've been using those wheelset for awhile, about a year and half, i don't know about the weight or anything, cuz i never care about that as long as it's strong and do what i give it to do. amazingly after all kinds of false landing of jumps about 1-1.5 foot high, i'm still pretty sure it's straight, i checked before (not perfectly straight but you know, tiny tiny bit) and once i totally screwed up on a 5 footer with that, it's still good(the front tire is not line up with the handle bar, i landed front first)! i would recommend this to ...hmm i think those who are willing to push a little bit harder, higher, faster but not like downhill or stuff like that, they r great, but of course there are better wheelset, juz i've never tried them before, but these definitely worth buying! ONE LAST THING! if u love the loud clicking noise from the hub, these will definitely give u some, the paws inside the hub still roars after all those riding from the past 1 and half year!

Similar Products Used: WTB razor DH(awesome choice, but the rear wheelset has through axel, need some special frame), some shimano wheelsets (rhino light?)
John   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

light weight, fast spinner

no bling factor

It's light and it's fast. Never had a problem with it. Will buy a second pair for my second bike.

Similar Products Used: none
rick   Cross Country Rider [Jul 28, 2007]
Strength:

very very low rotational weight. wide deep section rim is very stiff yet lightest there is at 350 grams. fantastic hub design.

this isn't a weakness but I'd of liked to see straight-pull spokes. they are lighter, stronger and stiffer with lateral forces.

A great wheelset! very upgradeable. if you change to the Sapim cx-ray spokes you will get a 1407 weight. ceramic bearings are also available(1390g). the deep section rim is stiffer then either of stan's olympic or 355 disc.

the ONLY advantage system wheels have over this is that they use straight-pull spokes.

amazing wheelset! if you get the cx-ray spokes and ceramic
bearings I'd (highly)recommend over crossmaxSLR or m975XTR.

The Extralite TNT Disc is still the best there is but costs $1350(starting at)....

Similar Products Used: m975, 317-straightguage-bottomline DT-S. 07 crossmaxSLR. dt240-14/15-stans347-28/32H.
Jay Pelletier   Racer [Jan 09, 2007]
Strength:

VERY lite, stiff, trouble free,

None I have encountered so far

This wheelset I originally purchased for racing only. This changed after I put them on... I have used them every ride. I WEIGH ONLY 140lbs ~ ride extremely agressive. The wheels have been used in numerous 24hr races and have gone off large drops, rocky rides, yada yada with NO PROBLEMS! (knock on wood) The free hubs I have not serviced in 8 months with many miles put on them. I plan to ride these same rims in the 2007 TransRockies Challenge. SO if your a light agressive rider who is a weight weenie get these rims ~ if your on the heavier side and want a durable racing rim set then these will work great as well.