Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST Tubeless Tire

Nobby Nic UST

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution UST: Spirited grip. Devilishly fast. Nobby Nic combines the incompatible: It has divine grip and goes like the devil. How is that possible? Triple compound - an MTB tire first -, combined

Mike   All Mountain Rider [Jun 23, 2016]
Strength:

It's light. Now light shines through the sidewall.

Sidewall is super weak

Can't believe how expensive and fragile (crappy) these tires are. I exclusively ride rock terrain and the sidewalls are very week. Punctured the sidewall on the rear in 2 months time and replaced with a Nevegal. Yesterday I saw the that the front was not holding air. When I added more sealant and pumped it up I saw many pinholes in the sidewall, more than the Stan's could repair. I could put a tube in but I wanted a tubeless tire. So disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal
Jon Kelly   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2015]
Strength:

They made it out of shop

These are not suitable for riding tubeless and are incompatible with sealants.

Great tires until they encounter rocks, cactus needles...earth. Two out three rides with these tires resulted in flats.

Tmack   All Mountain Rider [Aug 12, 2015]
Strength:

Great grip in most conditions, roll nice, capable tire... BUT

Like everyone said: durability. For as much as Schwalbe cost, they should at least last 100+miles. I have never sliced through the TREAD of a tire, until today on these.

5th ride, 5minutes in, sliced front and punctured the rear in the same instant. Was running 22-25psi, at Skeggs on Tafoni near the top, ran over a rock (not a big one, nothing edgy or looked like a pinch flat creator) and it pinched and sliced right through the tread AND sidewall! Rear got a hole from a stick or something else at the same spot. WTF!? At close to $100 each, these are a ripoff.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis of various kinds, Panaracers, etc etc
Alainzen   [Jan 25, 2014]
Strength:

Very light, fast roller, traction, easy to mount tubeless, durability

Weak sidewalls, average cornering, expensive, sensitive to tire pressure

I used 6 Nobby Nic 26" x 2.25" tires on my Mavic Crossmax ST within the last 9 months and I am now looking my next favorite all mountain tire. I really like the Nobby Nic but I already lost 2 tires due to punctures on the sidewalls for no obvious reasons. They are light, roll faster than any tire that I've tried so far, and climb great as long as you figure out the proper pressure to ride with.
Talking about pressure, forget about riding 25psi with those and their thin sidewalls. Cornering is average at the right pressure. The knobs have hold on for me without any issues.
I always find them on sale, but no way these tires worth the MSRP.

GoneGator   [Aug 15, 2013]
Strength:

Light, made of rubber (perhaps)

Durabiity

Rode these for about six rides when I noticed many of the knobs broken off of both tires. About 70% of the side knobs were partially or completely torn on these tires. Most of my riding has been on fairly technical Oregon singletrack, but c'mon guys I'm 50 years old, recovering from knee surgery and I ride very conservatively due to ongoing blood clots in my leg. I have never owned tires that failed this quickly. I will try to have the manufacturer warranty these, perhaps even check with the CPSC for recalls or product complaints.

John Lee   [Jun 24, 2013]
Strength:

Good all around tire

cost, thin sidewall

All around good tire. I am running these on a Scott 730 650b, I can finally try different psi ratings because I tried Rocket Rons and I couldnt even keep air in them. So, Nic Nobbys are the way to go for tubless. I have Stans No Tube Arch EX laced with Chis Kings. Great on the dry but good on the wet rocks and roots. Going to order a pair of Hans Damph next. Thicker wall and a little heavier casing. Happy trails

Tillers_Rule   Cross Country Rider [Sep 14, 2012]

Lack of grip

I normally don't like writing reviews after using a product only a week or two, but I'll make an exception here as I had to remove these from my brand new bike after less than two weeks because of the danger. The front of my bike was slipping and sliding all over the place. Started with 35 psi, then down to 30, then down to 25, then down to 20, then 18, just so I could corner without wiping out. I don't like running PSI that low as I'm going to get a pinch flat or smash a rim on the technical rocky section. I ride dry, hard pack, lose on top of hard pack. I had to change my riding style just to finish the rides until my new tires came in as I was afraid to lean the bike over. Southern California is not the place for this tire.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Dart
prc   All Mountain Rider [Aug 25, 2012]
Strength:

Grip well even in wet, pretty light, good rolling

expensive, sidewalls are week

Been using in both 2.1 (HT) and 2.25 on AM rig.

Very good traction front/rear and very predicable even on wet rock. Would say excellent front or rear tire for XC. Love them on my HT in size 2.1. Rolling resistance is not bad, actually use them on front with a racing ralph or furious fred on rear during most of the year (also stick them on rear during the wet winter months here in Portugal.
Only issue besides price (if bought at MSRP) is on my Nomad I've gotten alot of tears on sidewall. Too thin and easily cuts on rocks with very agressive riding.

spencerfrater1   All Mountain Rider [Jun 22, 2012]
Strength:

Grip, puncture resistance

weight, sidewall integrity, price

I have had a few of these tires now and know them well. The grip is amazing, especially on wet rocks and amongst boulders. Also, they are more puncture resistant than the standard Nobby Nics. They are a tight fit on all the rims I have, but once on they seal up quite well (tubeless) without a compressor - just a track pump.
However, we have had some issues with the sidewalls failing, sometimes suddenly. I have a video on my YouTube channel of a sidewall exploding and Stans sealant being ejected everywhere - but can't post the link here. There seems to be some weakness in the sidewalls that is triggered when riding amongst sharp rocks. But they are still my front tire of choice, even on my 29er.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer, Conti Explorer, Conti Mountain King, Hutchinson Toro and Python
Mark   [May 05, 2012]
Strength:

Speed, grip and toughness.

None so far

I bought the tubless reay snakeskin verion as a front tyre to replace a Specialized Fast Trak. The Fast Trak was crap for where I ride and kept washing out in dry dusty switchbacks. The Nobby Nic was mounted tubless and sealled straight away and held pressure right from the start. There was no noticeable loss of speed and the grip improved out of sight. The area I ride is extremely rocky, sandy and with heaps of throns. So far there have been no leaks or gashes in the side walls (snakeskin) and the tyre is holding up really well. I have a Racing Ralph to replace the Specialized Renegade on the back when it finally dies. I have no issues at all with the Renegade as a back tyre. My tyres cost me $55 each from Wiggle with free freight.