Panaracer Trailblaster UST Tubeless Tire

Trailblaster UST

PanaracersTrailblasterTubelessTire offers great performance in a lightweight, durable package. Features Panaracers Multi-Step knob, as well asThe SK "side kick" knob designed not only for cornering, but for braking and accelerating. Panaracers exclusive knobs have various heights designedTo perform in all conditions from hardTo soft.TheTrailblaster also incorporatesThe variable rate knob, a Pyramid-shaped knob designed in exact sizing for incredible grip onThe knobs surface, especially in hard c

Woodyak   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2003]
Strength:

None that I could remember

Don't hold air, tread wears out quickly. Terrible grip in wet muddy conditions.

I was hoping these would be a good trail tire but they are not. I used these tires for about 3 months before I gave up on them. The traction was terrible, It holed in 1 month and would not be patched, and it wore out very quickly. Do not get these tires.

Similar Products Used: UST Fire XC Pros, Hutch pythons, WTB stuff
Gary White   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

Quite puncture proof, moderate grip, low rolling resistance, look good, cheapish to buy

Wear out quickly, only moderate grip!

A slightly disappointing product. Not a patch on Panaracer regular tyres and far inferior to the excellent non-UST Fire XCs and Trailblasters I have used before. They are good as a UST product (i.e. don't flat or puncture and stay on the rim) but just not good as a TYRE (tread, cornering, longevity, etc). Come on Panaracer, you can do better.....

Similar Products Used: First tubeless tires used
Guy Spiher   Racer [May 18, 2003]
Strength:

Grips a bit better than average, Big ass knobs really waffle the cat when he doesn't get outta the way in time -- Sorry Mojo the cat

These are my first foray into the tubeless thing and they were somewhat used already.it was interesting to note that they were already patched when I got them. RTV will work to patch them .Quiz time.What does RTV stand for??
Reduced Temperature Vulcanization.It seems to be the only thing that works. I flatted at a local park and got a ride back to my car by the friendly ranger. Embarresing. Better grip from other tires certainly. Squirmy sidewalls. GI Joe and the Kung - Fu grip could not get these babies on and off

Yeah there are times when these tires are better than the smaller knobbed tires such as the Contis and the large agressive knobs are good in the gnarly stuff, but man these things flat just looking at them and yeah they are a bastige to patch. RTV can and does work but why bother.Jeff Spahn further down in the reviews says use a hairdryer to dry out your tire. Okay Jeff tell me where I plug it in at.This should be interesting to say the least.There are better tires out there. If you just ordered these online then surely you should have done yourself a favor and visited this review site first.

Similar Products Used: None Tubeless.. Conti Explorers and Mythos
Rick   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2001]
Strength:

A tubeless product from Panaracer showed promise, as I loved the Fire XC Pros. Light weight. Decent climbing traction.

A few too many, I'm afraid. Hard to mount, "too light" - very prone to punctures, too narrow, tread rolls under heavy cornering, requires too high pressure as a result. Also, there are "dead spots" in the tread edge pattern that can result in nasty washouts.

This is actually a followup review from one posted on the "plain ol Trail Blaster" board. I'm disappointed in the durability. Had two punctures, one *through a knob*, that weren't patchable. I put these somewhere between the Hutchinson tubeless (love) and Michelin tubeless (hate). I suspect that they erred on the side of light weight instead of durability. Bad choice.

They also require way, WAY too much air pressure to be stable, particularly for a 1.95.

The side knobs are spaced a bit far apart, leading to some dicey moments when turning at speed on rocks/roots/leaves.

They should make a 2.1, with more heft/durability and a stiffer lateral profile that can be run at 30 PSI.

Similar Products Used: (Tubeless)Hutchinson Python, Michelin Comp S, (Tube)Panaracer Fire XC Pro
scaryfast   Racer [Jan 29, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight, knobby, grip, all around usability

lightweight sacrifices durability

Excellent all around tire. It works great in the midwest and in the desert. Doesn't pack up under extreme mud. Side knobs are excellent for looser soily conditions. The wide base of the center and side knobs are great for hardpack and display little deflection when cornering. I have looked far and wide for a tire at this weight that provides this kind of grip and knobs. Since this is a review for UST, those complaining of pinch flats are confusing to me...how does a UST pinch flat? I'm 160 lbs, and have found that these work best at just under 40psi. Running stans is a necessity (at least here in the desert) and even though I've put holes/cuts in these tires from the huge amount of sharp rocks where I ride, I have successfully patched them and continued to ride them bald. For front use, grip remains good until the tallest center step is just barely visible. For the rear, I could run it almost bald before it felt too sketchy to continue riding it off road. If you're a bigger guy that doesn't like to choose a line around the very roughest of trails, go with a heavier duty tire, these are lightweight and more geared towards racers that like knobbies instead of the semi slicks that are flooding the market.

Jim   [Jan 28, 2002]
Strength:

Light weight, grip better than anything, for a knobby, roll easily.

Would like to see the UST in a 2.1.
In snor, they turn well, but spin easy on peadling, the knobs do not seem to dig in well ( I'm a relatively smooth pedaler & spin well)

I love these tires. They grip well & unlike Rick below I've had no punctures & found they mount about the same as any other tubeless. I weigh 180 & ride on very rocky New England trails & have not had one flat since I put them on in September & I ride 3-r times a week.
I would love to see this in a 2.1 for tubeless !

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Python UST
Joe   Racer [Jan 16, 2004]
Strength:

Despite what I've read from other reviews, I've experience good traction on the wetstuff, roots and all. And the tires are light, saving 100g/wheelset compared to Huchinson Pythons.

Believe the hype these tires flat just lookin' at 'em. I've pinchflatted twice in one race. And, it's not just pinchflats. When I finally tossed it, it had 5 patched holes and at least 4 pinholes in it. I was able to patch it a few times with a regular patch kit, but it was extremely hard to get 'em to hold. Inside of tire must be bone dry. Hairdryer seems like a good idea. Better yet, buy a different tire. I've had the best luck with Conti's as far as durability, weight and traction. On a positive note, my wife has them on her bike and she hasn't had any problems with flats. She's petite and not that agressive of a rider. Maybe these tires can't handle a lot of weight and abuse.

They flat easy and they're hard to patch. Buy something else, unless your a lightweight non-agressive rider.

Similar Products Used: Huchinson Python. Conti Explorer.
Cole Edmonson   Racer [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

pretty good traction, fairly light weight for a tubeless tire, easy putting it on

where to begin??? let's see run over a rock and get a puncture, run over a stick and get another. hmmm..., can't be patched, what the heck is that all about

Do your self a favor and don't buy these. I read the bad reviews and thought oh well I'll give em a try anyway. Price point had em for 29 bones so I got a pair. Horrible choice, I ran over a rock and flatted the back one and then 2 weeks later hit a stick and flatted the front one. DO NOT BUY!!! unitll panaracer fixes this problem. Can't even be patched, pathetic.