Michelin Comp S UST Tubeless Tire

Michelin Comp S UST Tubeless Tire

High density nylon casing. Proven tread design: controllable in corners, rolls fast but hooks up quickly. State-of-the-art Silicium™ tread for enhanced grip. Molded butyl inner liner and specially shaped lightweight Kevlar® bead for air tight tubeless seal. Mavic UST certified and Nagesti (Rigida) tubeless compatible. Sizes/Weights: 26”x2.0” 670g

[Mar 31, 2009]
Orestes

Strength:

Fast, Low rolling resistance, & durable. Had for about 1 1/2 years.

Poor under hard cornering, and slips on steep climbs. Not good in any wet stuf. Not predictable under any of these conditions.

I'm about 180 Lb, and do not see this tire working for me. I had to lower the presure so much that the speed, and lower rolling resistance were more than offset. It was unpredictable during tough climbs, and when cornering they continue to slide until your down. Maybe for a lighter rider this tire will work. Sorry Michelin, but I call it like I see it.

Hutchinson Python, Scorpion, and IRC SERAC XC(BEST).

[Jun 30, 2003]
STPSoCal

Strength:

This is for the 2003 Comp S Lite. The Lite is definitely a racing tire only, due to it's lightweight construction. Race em' then take them off and go back to your regular training tire. They roll fast, conform to the terrain well, have great grip and track nicely through the sand.

Fast wear and tender sidewalls. Definitely not for rough, rocky racecourses or rides with jagged rocks. I've killed two of them in a month's time. The first time was a jagged cut on the rolling part of the tire. The second time was yesterday, with a sidewall gash. The sidewalls are really thin and very susceptible to injury.

If you don't mind shelling out the dough with great regularity or use these tires only for race day, they'll work for you. But if you want durability or long wear, forget it.

Regular tubed tires. IRC Mythos XC kevlars (way better sidewall protection). Kenda Kharisma's (sketchy on fireroad action and sand) and other brands

[May 27, 2003]
Alberto Gavilán

Strength:

Neumático rodador para carreras, resistente y con buen agarre. Resiste muy bien los pinchazos. Estética impresionante (verde/negro 2002).

Es caro pero de vez en cuando vale la pena disfrutar de un neumático así.

Un buen neumático de rally

Hutchinson Python

[Jul 04, 2002]
J

Strength:

Switched from fast but weak PYTHONS and I am really impressed. Instalation did not require the same physical effort the Pythons did. Simple really. Csing is visibly thicker and the bead is better (no leakage after sitting for over a week.
FRONT S/ REAR XLS all conditions-frre ride tire.

The tires I have are FRONT S and rear XLS in 2.1 green. Aggressive tread, tubeless traction is superior, these tires can corner with the best of them.

Based on my previous experience with pythons falling apart and wearing prematurely I'd say the Michelins are tops. Much wider than the Hutchy 2.0 rubber I had before.

These are excellent tires and with a realtively large footprint they have smoothed the ride and made my bike much more capable.

Pythons and many tubed tires.

[Oct 17, 2005]
Jim

Strength:

Fast rolling, awesome cornering, will NOT load up with mud under any circumstances. Relatively light weight.

None that I can see.

Fast tire and awesome for the money. You can find them for 20 bucks or so on sale at Performance and stuff. This is a lightweight cross country tire. I've been riding it in a variety of different terrain, not just here in Florida either. These have seen Tsali, Pisgah National Forest, and a massive amount of other northern rocky trails. I haven't had ANY sidewall problems. Maybe some of the people below should learn how to ride a lightweight XC tire? You can't run low pressure and blast into everything in sight! It's all about finesse. I've flatted two of them by slamming the bead against the edge of my rim when I was running way low pressures and riding up a set of stairs, which isn't Michelins fault, it's mine for riding like a dumbarse. I really love the way these tires corner.. very predictable and fast on sandy hardpack.

Michelin XLS, Jet S, Panracer Trailblaster, Hutchinson Pythons

[Jan 15, 2004]
natehole

Strength:

excellent rubber, fast, took more than a few rocks I expected to tear the tire

no cornering or climbing traction, wearing quickly

Too much loose stuff for these meats here in tejas. And at race aggressive riding these babies just plain wash out. There are going to be some less tech rides they will be IDEAL for. However...I'll continue to give my cash, American, to Conti or I'll cough up the cash for some Kenda Ignitors ust. Hutchinsons are the most useless tires I had the most unfortunate fortune to waste a fortune (and patches, tubes, and slime) on. Continentals have always given me the balance of weight/traction!/life span/roll/puncture resistance I desire and expect. I give'm 4/4 they are top notch tires...for someone else.

conti survivals and explorers, hutch mosquitos, wtb

[May 03, 2003]
derrick

Strength:

It's good

none yet

Before switching to crossmax xl ust disc wheelset I rode various various 1.95 (fr & rr) & 2.1(fr): 2.3 (rr) tires on non ust wheels. The 1.95 ust Comp S tires run at 38 - 40 psi (fr) and 35 - 38 psi (rr) stick better than any non ust tire I've ever ridden regardless of size or pressure. More traction may be found with other ust tires?? I haven't ridden them long enough to say anything about their durability. No problems installing, rate of pressure drop is about the same or less as any non ust tire, relatively low weight, and they seem to hold a tighter line than the pythons. No sidewall problems even throught the profane word for excrement. Not sure about whether more volume is warranted (why increase the contact patch if the smaller patch holds so well). Anyone have anything to say about that? Ride.

ridden hutchinson pythons, but haven't had them on my bike

[Jul 30, 2002]
StevieG

Strength:

Good gripping on variety of terrain experienced in N GA area - sand, rocks, mud, clay, gravel.

Sidewall tears!

I've only owned my Scalpel since June 2002 and already have blown BOTH front and rear Michelin Wildgrippers CompS (tubeless) on relatively tame terrain at Sope Creek. Both instances were with 40-45 psi in the tires (more than the 32 psi I was told I could expect for a cushy/good gripping ride)and on trails that I've ridden for 9 years with my old bike set-up (my old tires had to finally be replaced due to rubber ROT...not sidewall tears and punctures).

The bad news: I agree with previous posts - it does seem like the sidewalls are the big issue here with the tubeless tires from Michelin; I got tubeless tires expecting LESS issues with pinch flats and have really been dissapointed with the supposed benefits of them, so far (weight, less pressure = more grip, etc). It seems I am getting MORE timid on my bike instead of more agressive as am worried about blowing a tire, again!

The GOOD news: I had to buy a new rear tire from ATL Cycling as they wouldn't cover it, but they covered the 2nd one (today) at no charge (THX, Vinings Shop!). I also called Michelin and they are taking back both tires to inspect - if it IS sidewall tears (it is), they will replace them with new ones. That's good customer svc!

Bottom line - good tires when they don't fail me; not really seeing the benefits of tubeless thus far...

Hutchinson Pythons; Panaracers

[Jul 14, 2002]
CD Zoli

Strength:

Light for Tubeless - Good tread design gives good traction in dry dusty AZ. Price was right-(Came on a set of Rolf Dolomites that I paid $350 for)

Tread not as grippy as my old HUtchinson Pythons (standard w/ tubes)

I have been riding these tires since last October and have a decent amount of miles on them. (Injury kept me off the bike for several months) Initially had the usual trouble with keeping them inflated, but after putting SLime in them did not have anymore troubles - DON"T use the new Tubeless sealant made by Slime use the good ole stuff! (LBS reccomended and I concur) Anyways, I have been riding them as often as possible lately (50-75 miles month, wish I had more time) and I would say they are pretty solid and predictable. It has been 7 months and until recently I have not had a flat, which I think is pretty awesome. Great tip for tubeless riders go buy an automotive tire patch kit and keep a couple of the pacthes with some rubber cement with you. The patch will hold but I have yet to find a portable pump that I can use to reset the bead, maybe a CO2 cylinder would work. Then you would not have to carry a tube with you, maybe...
Wish they made a 2.1 inch version for the extra air volume like my Pythons. These are faster but I can't run super low pressure due to all the rocks here in AZ. I like the tread design, I get decent traction even though the front tends to brake free occasionally. All in all one of the better tires I've ridden. Great in dry conditions with low rolling resistance. Tubeless maybe not perfect, but considering how few flats I've had this year I would say the Comp S are definitely worth trying.

5 chilis for value (mine were technically free)
3 chilis for a good solid tire (not great...)

First set of tubeless but many other standard tires; Hutch Pythons, IRC Mythos, Velociraptors.

[Dec 26, 2003]
Michael Hanson

Strength:

This tire hooks up well in the loose gravel/washout sand in Florida. Have used it in NC at Tsali and around Brevard with the same results. One of the few UST/tubeless tires still available in the 26x1.95 size.

Does puncture rather easy. Riding in Belleview I recieved a small pinhole from the center tread after riding through a heavily rooted area. Bicycle tires should not cost half as much as a car tire.

Good tire. It compares well with the Velociraptors I had on my other bike. I wish the Velociraptors were available in a UST/tubeless version. The tread does wear out quicker than other tires I have tried. It might not be the perfect tire for all of the conditions I ride, but it does a decent job. No tire does everything great (although the Velociraptors do come close), so you have to pick the tire that is best for your conditions. If you ride over wet roots and rocks all of the time, this is probably not the best tire for you.

To answer those who have had a difficult time putting this tire (or any other UST tubeless) on the rim, I offer this advice. Put the tire in the cloths dryer for about 10 minutes. This heats the bead up and makes it more pliable. I have done this with both my Bontrager rims and some Mavic CrossRoc rims with these tires. I watched a service technician try to put a refrigerator gasket on that would not fit worth a darn (too small even though it was the correct part number). He put the gasket in the dryer and put it on in less than 5 minutes. I did the same with the tire and it worked well for me.

WTB Velociraptors, Specialized Comps, Continental Twister Pro.