Maxxis Monorail UST Tubeless Tire

• Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology

[Aug 10, 2013]
lew242
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very fast rolling, good climber, fairly robust, wears well, LUST is great, fully tubeless and light.

Braking and descending traction.

Been using this tire on the back of my fairly light 5 inch air sprung trail bike. I wanted a tire to match up with a Minion 2.35 up front because the underlying carcass is the same at erto 52mm.

I love riding fairly aggressive trails, at the same time I have to ride roads, climb and ride fire trails most of the time. There are loads of other riders around on XC and road bikes, and I hate being passed by guys less fit than me on faster bikes. Solution? Lighten up a trail bike and put a fast XC tire on the back regular compound knobby on the front.

On all those fire trails, roads and climbs, this tire is exactly what I wanted. However on descents especially on loose over and under heavy braking this tire locks up very easily and can get into mad drift situations. So I'll use it until I wear it out happily with the lovely LUST carcass that takes air so easily as even a Schwalbe tubeless ready, doesn't burp or lose pressure hardly at all.

Actually talking about Schwalbe I might switch to a Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic double defense 2.25 with a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front. As a Nobby Nic really is as fast but has better braking traction than a Monorail, but the Monorail is much more robust and holds air much better or even a Larsen TT or Advantage on the back.

Not disappointed with this tire it's good, but not exactly what I need.

Maxxis Minion DHF and DHR, Maxxis Detonator, Maxxis Larsen TT, Maxxis High Roller, CST Maverick, Kenda Nevegal, WTB Prowler, DMR Moto RT, DMR Moto Digger, Continental Avenue, Schwalbe Nobby Nic

[Jun 07, 2012]
David Gunn

Strength:

Fast rolling, no 'burps', long life, great grip surprisingling even in wetish conditions, this year ran it all year even in winter.

NONE

Buy one

[Jan 06, 2012]
ata120

Strength:

Fast, corner, great in sugar sand

Have not found one

was skeptical at first due to the small knobbies on the tire but that completely changed once I got the correct tire pressure dialed in, after that it felt like I hardly had to pedal. they Roll fast and corner great.

Kenda Nevigal

[Mar 08, 2010]
pierocapredoni

Strength:

It´s the BEST XC tire I´ve ever used by far. I use it front and read with excellent results in both. Long lasting and excellent grip. Rolls REALLY FAST in hard surfaces.

Use it and you will be satisfied.

Panaracers, Michelins